• Currently Active UsersCurrently Active Users

    There are currently 74 users online. 6 members and 68 guests

    Most users ever online was 269, 08-10-2014 at 10:06 PM.

    1. Aly5,
    2. antbkny,
    3. Bigozz,
    4. eddiesfl,
    5. Frenchie Grrrl,
    6. lisamarie
  • French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    Comments 38 Comments
    1. Alice Kable's Avatar
      Alice Kable -
      Great information, Lisa! Thanks for posting this well written article!
    1. bullmama's Avatar
      bullmama -
      @CaliSMoMMy here is the allergy article


      Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    1. davidh's Avatar
      davidh -
      Great info.
    1. Kris Thomas LaBounty's Avatar
      Kris Thomas LaBounty -
      Boy, I wish I would have seen this months ago. I am seeing a dermatologist and we're treating a slight bacterial infection with Simplicef for 21 days and a RX food (I appreciated your input on that) by Royal Canin for 8 weeks and then we take him for testing and I will choose the desensitization treatment because I want him cured. He's always eaten grain free and he still gets pink so I assume it's not food but grass. He will just be a yr old tomorrow so Again I appreciated your information on testing protocol. Great article, thank you. I can't tell you how many times I have posted to FB owners on FB pages inquiring about my pup smelling like a baby camel and NO ONE mentioned allergies to me. I suspected a skin infection myself and took him to a vet that gave me a Keflex generic and I thought about it and decided to look for a specialist vet in my area to be treated appropriately. After all, I wouldn't let a family practice doctor do brain surgery on my husband. This article will be good so I have enough information to ask the appropriate questions when we return to the doctor.
    1. colton45's Avatar
      colton45 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kris Thomas LaBounty View Post
      Boy, I wish I would have seen this months ago. I am seeing a dermatologist and we're treating a slight bacterial infection with Simplicef for 21 days and a RX food (I appreciated your input on that) by Royal Canin for 8 weeks and then we take him for testing and I will choose the desensitization treatment because I want him cured. He's always eaten grain free and he still gets pink so I assume it's not food but grass. He will just be a yr old tomorrow so Again I appreciated your information on testing protocol. Great article, thank you. I can't tell you how many times I have posted to FB owners on FB pages inquiring about my pup smelling like a baby camel and NO ONE mentioned allergies to me. I suspected a skin infection myself and took him to a vet that gave me a Keflex generic and I thought about it and decided to look for a specialist vet in my area to be treated appropriately. After all, I wouldn't let a family practice doctor do brain surgery on my husband. This article will be good so I have enough information to ask the appropriate questions when we return to the doctor.
      Been fighting the yeast infections for a while (we call it APD: Arm Pit Disease). I've tried everything. This all started with a trip to the vet who diagnosed a yeast infection in the ears. Ears had mud in them. Vet sold me a couple of bottles of epi-otic(?) ear cleaner. On a whim and after exhausting every avenue, I cleaned the hotspots with the epi-otic fluid (rubbed it in good) and while it was still wet coated the spots with triple antibiotic to seal it in (3x 1st day, 2x after). Noticeable improvement next day, gone in three days. Ears never got infected again but APD comes and goes with Mac's routine patrols around the yard. He now has it on his face and we are out of town and away from the ear cleaner. Crap. When we get back, he'll get his rub down with ear cleaner. When I get back home I will look a the labels cause there were three of them vet sold me for $20 each. Sigh. They are 7.50 online. I will follow up if I can find this link again. I figured if it cured his ears then it should cure his skin. It worked like a charm. Now for his diet..............
    1. Kris Thomas LaBounty's Avatar
      Kris Thomas LaBounty -
      Quote Originally Posted by colton45 View Post
      Been fighting the yeast infections for a while (we call it APD: Arm Pit Disease). I've tried everything. This all started with a trip to the vet who diagnosed a yeast infection in the ears. Ears had mud in them. Vet sold me a couple of bottles of epi-otic(?) ear cleaner. On a whim and after exhausting every avenue, I cleaned the hotspots with the epi-otic fluid (rubbed it in good) and while it was still wet coated the spots with triple antibiotic to seal it in (3x 1st day, 2x after). Noticeable improvement next day, gone in three days. Ears never got infected again but APD comes and goes with Mac's routine patrols around the yard. He now has it on his face and we are out of town and away from the ear cleaner. Crap. When we get back, he'll get his rub down with ear cleaner. When I get back home I will look a the labels cause there were three of them vet sold me for $20 each. Sigh. They are 7.50 online. I will follow up if I can find this link again. I figured if it cured his ears then it should cure his skin. It worked like a charm. Now for his diet..............
      My Sergeant has been back to the dermatologist since I posted the above. He was put on another round of antibiotics because the bacterial infection hadn't cleared all the way, kept on his "Royal Canin" RX Diet, baths 2Xs per week with a special RX Bacteria killing shampoo and scheduled next Friday for testing. He's been to both Zion and Bryce since I posted and exhibits allergy symptoms. I am convinced it's environmental, it was worse while we were traveling, and not due to food but we'll know for sure next week. He smells much better and has less pink around his mouth and no bumps but still licks the crap out of his feet. I chose to do the testing and desensitization because he's only just a year old and I imagined I'd be spending the cost of the testing and desensitization over the next several years of chasing his issues. If you can locate a specialist (dermatologist) in your area my best suggestion would be to take him there. My regular vet had treated my dog twice with stuff that didn't work. That's because it was a "guess". Without scraping the areas and testing the tissue you have no idea what you're dealing with. My pup had cherry eye too and I sought out an eye surgeon/eye specialist and the surgery cost more but the treatment was clean and successful. I always recommend specialists, in the long run they save you money even though at the time it costs a little more. If you live in a big city or close to a Vet Program call the university and they will help you. I live near Salt Lake, which isn't all that big and the vet in charge at the university helped me. My dermatologist travels between here and Washington State but the clinic employs other dermatologists that travel in OH, NM, CA, TX, AZ, NE, UT, WA and VT. It's called Dermatology for Animals 877-604-8366 and anyone who owns a pet with allergies should give the specialist a try. I couldn't bear to let my Sergeant suffer and itch for the rest of his life. I want him healthy and happy, allergies can be dealt with and stopped. If my husband had cancer I wouldn't make him see our family physician for treatment. I'll follow up too after we start desensitization and let everyone know how it's working and if it's worth the investment.
    1. Kris Thomas LaBounty's Avatar
      Kris Thomas LaBounty -
      Dermatologist Visit Update: Sergeant had his skin testing done yesterday. As I expected he has allergies to environmental elements. Dust was a major one (for me too) and I have never seen as much dust as we have in Utah. I'm from Florida and my house couldn't get as dusty in 6 mos as it does here in 2-3 days :-( There is also a mite that gets into your dog food so I will be looking for a dog food that is resealable like the RX Royal Canin was. There is nothing we can do about the grasses, weeds and trees so we will be doing the desensitization. Our serum should be here next week and it starts with weekly injections and then goes to every other week for 6 months and then we see and may need to extend his treatment for another 6 months. I will be giving the injections myself. The cost of the desensitization serum was about $250 and lasts for 6 months so it's really not all that expensive. The testing was a little more expensive than the first diagnostic visit and all together we'll have about $1300 wrapped up into the diagnosis and treatment. I figure I would have spent $1300 easily over his lifetime spot treating him. Poor baby has 2 shaved spots on his leg for the catheter and a big shaved square on his side with lots of welts :-( That was the worst part of the whole thing for me but I am hopeful all this will work and we can move on. I'll update so people will know if it's worth the investment.
    1. 2bullymama's Avatar
      2bullymama -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kris Thomas LaBounty View Post
      Dermatologist Visit Update: Sergeant had his skin testing done yesterday. As I expected he has allergies to environmental elements. Dust was a major one (for me too) and I have never seen as much dust as we have in Utah. I'm from Florida and my house couldn't get as dusty in 6 mos as it does here in 2-3 days :-( There is also a mite that gets into your dog food so I will be looking for a dog food that is resealable like the RX Royal Canin was. There is nothing we can do about the grasses, weeds and trees so we will be doing the desensitization. Our serum should be here next week and it starts with weekly injections and then goes to every other week for 6 months and then we see and may need to extend his treatment for another 6 months. I will be giving the injections myself. The cost of the desensitization serum was about $250 and lasts for 6 months so it's really not all that expensive. The testing was a little more expensive than the first diagnostic visit and all together we'll have about $1300 wrapped up into the diagnosis and treatment. I figure I would have spent $1300 easily over his lifetime spot treating him. Poor baby has 2 shaved spots on his leg for the catheter and a big shaved square on his side with lots of welts :-( That was the worst part of the whole thing for me but I am hopeful all this will work and we can move on. I'll update so people will know if it's worth the investment.
      Poor guy.... dust is a tough one. Try buying a sealed dog food container. I have a rubbermaid one that seals and keeps the food nice and fresh
    1. Julie Stevenson's Avatar
      Julie Stevenson -
      Great info! I have spent hours researching what causes allergies and what to do for it. Ollie gets hives and when we got him we found out he was severly allergic to corn and grains. He's on Blue Buffallo Freedom Puppy now and it made a HUGE difference. No more itching and no more stinky skin folds!
    1. Kris Thomas LaBounty's Avatar
      Kris Thomas LaBounty -
      Quote Originally Posted by Julie Stevenson View Post
      Great info! I have spent hours researching what causes allergies and what to do for it. Ollie gets hives and when we got him we found out he was severly allergic to corn and grains. He's on Blue Buffallo Freedom Puppy now and it made a HUGE difference. No more itching and no more stinky skin folds!
      We fed Blue Buffalo Freedom Puppy too. We don't have food allergies they're environmental (grasses, trees, dust, food mites etc). We got our serum today delivered to our door and start injections Monday (so I have a vet open all week in case of a reaction). Never gave injections before so I hope I do well :-D Wish us luck!
    1. Julie Stevenson's Avatar
      Julie Stevenson -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kris Thomas LaBounty View Post
      We fed Blue Buffalo Freedom Puppy too. We don't have food allergies they're environmental (grasses, trees, dust, food mites etc). We got our serum today delivered to our door and start injections Monday (so I have a vet open all week in case of a reaction). Never gave injections before so I hope I do well :-D Wish us luck!
      It's not too bad once you get used to it. I used to give injections to our kittens at the Pet Store that I used to manage. I'm sure your vet has given you a demo of how to do it. I find that if you pull the skin up with two fingers and then using your other hand push the needle into the skin that is raised it's not to bad. You will feel a pop when it goes in. Hopefully Sarge won't jump or cry on you. That makes it tough on the heart strings. Let us know how it goes!
    1. Kris Thomas LaBounty's Avatar
      Kris Thomas LaBounty -
      Quote Originally Posted by Julie Stevenson View Post
      It's not too bad once you get used to it. I used to give injections to our kittens at the Pet Store that I used to manage. I'm sure your vet has given you a demo of how to do it. I find that if you pull the skin up with two fingers and then using your other hand push the needle into the skin that is raised it's not to bad. You will feel a pop when it goes in. Hopefully Sarge won't jump or cry on you. That makes it tough on the heart strings. Let us know how it goes!
      LOL Yup, I got a demo alright while he was jumping around like a crazy man with glazed over eyes due to the excitement of seeing the ladies. I wouldn't even try to do it he was so crazy and he's sooooo strong. That is the strongest less than 30 lb dog you have ever seen. The serum came and I want to start it when the vet is open and will be there for several days just in case he has a reaction so I'm starting on Monday. Eeek, wish me luck.
    1. winginit66's Avatar
      winginit66 -
      Good luck Kris. I just had Gidget tested b/c she has had hives a couple of times. All of her results came back pretty much negative for food and environmental so... Not really sure where to go from here. She just looks like she has little marks on her (not like the hives - they were raised bumpy looking things) if you look at her when she is facing away from you. She isn't really chewing on her paws but we have been wiping her down with baby wipes after she's been out. No raw spots or hot spots. She's on Blue Buffalo Chicken at this time.
    1. Julie Stevenson's Avatar
      Julie Stevenson -
      Hey Kristine - How is Sarge doing with the shots? Better question, how are you doing giving them?
    1. Kris Thomas LaBounty's Avatar
      Kris Thomas LaBounty -
      Quote Originally Posted by Julie Stevenson View Post
      Hey Kristine - How is Sarge doing with the shots? Better question, how are you doing giving them?
      Yesterday was our 3rd injection. I have learned how to do them and it's not easy for me. We're up to .75CCs and now they"re every other week until we're done about a year from now. He no longer smells bad! Yipee!! I give him Benadryl every nite at 7PM and he's so much better. He still licks his paws but I'm sure it's a habit by now. Most of the pink has gone from his face and I have high hopes. It snowed today so I assume things will improve dramatically now that the lawn is covered in snow. I'll post again after we see where this is going but I have to say even though it was expensive ($1300 to date) I think it's worth it just to get rid of the smell. He really smelled bad. My husband said he smelled like a camel lol.
    1. Kris Thomas LaBounty's Avatar
      Kris Thomas LaBounty -
      Allergy Treatment Update: Sarge saw the dermatologist yesterday and she said he looks "good". She thinks the injections are working and I can tell you he does not smell bad anymore. We continue his vial and then return before we reorder in about 3/1/2-4 more months. I hate giving the injections but I am getting used to it. Last one he got a lump at the injection site about the size of a quarter and I was freaking out of course but I put a warm compress on it and the lump went away so I am not sure what cause that since I did the same thing I have done each time I have had to inject him. Nonetheless, he's alive, I am alive and he smells just perfect!
    1. bullmama's Avatar
      bullmama -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kris Thomas LaBounty View Post
      Allergy Treatment Update: Sarge saw the dermatologist yesterday and she said he looks "good". She thinks the injections are working and I can tell you he does not smell bad anymore. We continue his vial and then return before we reorder in about 3/1/2-4 more months. I hate giving the injections but I am getting used to it. Last one he got a lump at the injection site about the size of a quarter and I was freaking out of course but I put a warm compress on it and the lump went away so I am not sure what cause that since I did the same thing I have done each time I have had to inject him. Nonetheless, he's alive, I am alive and he smells just perfect!
      Great news, glad to hear he is improving
    1. Kris Thomas LaBounty's Avatar
      Kris Thomas LaBounty -
      Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
      Great news, glad to hear he is improving
      This is such a good article. I see people post about allergies over and over and they really need to read this, it answers so many questions.
    1. Cbrugs's Avatar
      Cbrugs -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kris Thomas LaBounty View Post
      This is such a good article. I see people post about allergies over and over and they really need to read this, it answers so many questions.
      Jax has been on Temaril-P for a week now and has significantly improved with his itching. I am not sure how long I will keep him on it as all it is doing is eliminating the scratching, not solving anything. He has only been on his new food for a little over a week so I will give that a little more time and then stop the pills and see what happens. If he goes back to the severe itching, I will take him to the dermatologist for a skin test. My vet has also talked about something called RESPIT. This is a "no test" immunotherapy. The injection is formulated to include the significant allergens for the region that you live in.
    1. Jessburgos's Avatar
      Jessburgos -
      Found it. Thank goodness. I loved this post and want to keep it handy.