Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 48

Thread: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

  1. #13
    Senior Member
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Vaughan
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    982
    Pets Names
    Honey

    Re: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

    I like the Answers Detailed Formula- it's very complete. Your dog weighs 27 pounds, so you would probably need to feed 1/2 of a 8 oz patty twice daily, or maybe slightly more depending on activity level of your dog.

  2. #14
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    FroxerMom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hattie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    735
    Pets Names
    Daphne

    Re: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeys Owners View Post
    I like the Answers Detailed Formula- it's very complete. Your dog weighs 27 pounds, so you would probably need to feed 1/2 of a 8 oz patty twice daily, or maybe slightly more depending on activity level of your dog.
    Thanks for the additional explanation! I found a place that sells this brand and am going tomorrow. Daphne is pretty active. I'm trying to socialize her as much as I can, so we practice going on long walks and she plays a lot of fetch and wrestles with big brother Boxer a ton too, so my guess is I'd probably need to feed her slightly more.
    ~ Hattie ~ Mom to Daphne (French Bulldog) and Stella (cat)

  3. #15
    Senior Member
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Vaughan
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    982
    Pets Names
    Honey

    Re: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

    Quote Originally Posted by FroxerMom View Post
    Thanks for the additional explanation! I found a place that sells this brand and am going tomorrow. Daphne is pretty active. I'm trying to socialize her as much as I can, so we practice going on long walks and she plays a lot of fetch and wrestles with big brother Boxer a ton too, so my guess is I'd probably need to feed her slightly more.
    You can try cutting one patty into thirds and the other patty into halves and give 2/3 patty for breakfast and 1/2 patty for dinner or vice versa

  4. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    670
    Pets Names
    Gus and Gracie

    Re: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeys Owners View Post
    You can try cutting one patty into thirds and the other patty into halves and give 2/3 patty for breakfast and 1/2 patty for dinner or vice versa
    Or buy the cartons and portion it out that way - that's what I do. At first, the smell was a bit much for me, lol. It's fermented, so doesn't smell that great. I'm totally used to it now though.

  5. #17
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    FroxerMom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hattie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    735
    Pets Names
    Daphne

    Re: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

    Sooooo....I couldn't wait until this weekend and I went to the store today. They only had the Answers+ raw goats milk and not the actual food. I was trying to decide between Vital Essentials frozen patties and Primal frozen patties. I was leaning towards VE because I liked that there were no extra ingredients, but then the employee really went on and on about some of the health benefits of the ACV and some of the fruits, etc...in the Primal formula, so I bought that one. I'm a bit nervous to give it to her tomorrow. I hope it is thawed by then! I bought the duck. I hope that was a safe formula to try. If she has a bad reaction to it, what would that look like?

    Thanks to both of you for your continued input!

    Hattie
    ~ Hattie ~ Mom to Daphne (French Bulldog) and Stella (cat)

  6. #18
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    2bullymama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania, United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7,155
    Pets Names
    Chelios
    Trophies

    Re: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

    Quote Originally Posted by FroxerMom View Post
    Sooooo....I couldn't wait until this weekend and I went to the store today. They only had the Answers+ raw goats milk and not the actual food. I was trying to decide between Vital Essentials frozen patties and Primal frozen patties. I was leaning towards VE because I liked that there were no extra ingredients, but then the employee really went on and on about some of the health benefits of the ACV and some of the fruits, etc...in the Primal formula, so I bought that one. I'm a bit nervous to give it to her tomorrow. I hope it is thawed by then! I bought the duck. I hope that was a safe formula to try. If she has a bad reaction to it, what would that look like?

    Thanks to both of you for your continued input!

    Hattie
    @Cbrugs Citty - isn't this what you feed the boys?

    my sweet angel babies
    Nitschke 2004-2011 and Banks 2005-2014

  7. #19
    Senior Member
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Vaughan
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    982
    Pets Names
    Honey

    Re: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

    It's best to only thaw in fridge. I usually take out of the freezer 2 portions and throw in the fridge in the morning or at lunchtime for the next day's breakfast and dinner. It won't hurt the dog if the meat is still a bit frozen.

    I like to warm up a small amount of filtered water in the microwave and add it to the raw food in the food bowl and stir it up till it becomes a stew. That way the dog has to slow down to lap it up and it probably tastes a bit better.

    Duck, turkey and rabbit are more easily digestible than heavier meats like beef or lamb or pork, so you picked a good one to start with.

  8. #20
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,611
    Pets Names
    Jax
    Trophies

    Re: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

    I mainly use Vital Essentials and Tuckerís for Jax. I like as limited ingredient as possible for his as he has some good intolerances and this way I can control what fruits and veggies he gets and how much. Primal is a good brand.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #21
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    FroxerMom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hattie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    735
    Pets Names
    Daphne

    Re: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

    I have a sinking feeling I should have gone with my gut and purchased the Vital Essentials. The employee was nice and spent quite a bit of time with me and said if Daphne would be allergic to something chances are it wouldn't be a fruit or vegetable. Is this accurate?

    UPDATE:
    Holy smokes. My little itchy diva DESTROYED her food this morning. I thought she'd swallow the bowl too. I gave her half a thawed patty and mixed it with goats milk. She came back into the kitchen and licked around the bowl again a few minutes later. Meanwhile my Boxer is looking at me like, "Are you for real, lady - I don't get any of that?" My husband and I decided to go back and buy some of the nuggets and top Sox's kibble and wet food with it so at least he is getting some raw too. I'm going to try getting some cat nibbles also.

    I have no idea if it is a coincidence or not, but when I took Daphne for her 7 am walk, she RAN and did not walk. That girl had many, many springs in her step. I could barely keep up with her energy. Now she is resting peacefully.
    ~ Hattie ~ Mom to Daphne (French Bulldog) and Stella (cat)

  10. #22
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,611
    Pets Names
    Jax
    Trophies

    Re: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

    Quote Originally Posted by FroxerMom View Post
    I have a sinking feeling I should have gone with my gut and purchased the Vital Essentials. The employee was nice and spent quite a bit of time with me and said if Daphne would be allergic to something chances are it wouldn't be a fruit or vegetable. Is this accurate?

    UPDATE:
    Holy smokes. My little itchy diva DESTROYED her food this morning. I thought she'd swallow the bowl too. I gave her half a thawed patty and mixed it with goats milk. She came back into the kitchen and licked around the bowl again a few minutes later. Meanwhile my Boxer is looking at me like, "Are you for real, lady - I don't get any of that?" My husband and I decided to go back and buy some of the nuggets and top Sox's kibble and wet food with it so at least he is getting some raw too. I'm going to try getting some cat nibbles also.

    I have no idea if it is a coincidence or not, but when I took Daphne for her 7 am walk, she RAN and did not walk. That girl had many, many springs in her step. I could barely keep up with her energy. Now she is resting peacefully.
    That is fantastic news! Youíll really notice a difference with feeding raw. More energy, good skin and coat, less poop.

    I am of the belief that fruits and veggies can cause yeast. Some dogs donít have any problems at all. Finding the right food can be a guessing g game with a lot of trial and error. Stick to one protein at a time so you can document any issues. Primal is a good brand so you can definitely try it out for awhile. After a good few weeks, try a different protein.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #23
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    FroxerMom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hattie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    735
    Pets Names
    Daphne

    Re: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    That is fantastic news! You’ll really notice a difference with feeding raw. More energy, good skin and coat, less poop.

    I am of the belief that fruits and veggies can cause yeast. Some dogs don’t have any problems at all. Finding the right food can be a guessing g game with a lot of trial and error. Stick to one protein at a time so you can document any issues. Primal is a good brand so you can definitely try it out for awhile. After a good few weeks, try a different protein.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok, thank you. I am ordering an Allergy Test My Pet kit tomorrow and hopefully in two weeks I will know what her triggers are so I can avoid them. A coworker did this for her dog who was raw from itching and chewing and he was allergic to the food they were feeding and some other stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if "air" was on my list when the results come back. I fully expect "grass," so I have no clue what to even do with that other than wipe her down after she goes potty and don't let her roll around in it?
    ~ Hattie ~ Mom to Daphne (French Bulldog) and Stella (cat)

  12. #24
    Senior Member
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Vaughan
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    982
    Pets Names
    Honey

    Re: Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

    Glad she's enjoying the raw ! I think the Vital Essentials Duck consist of: Ground duck with bone, duck heart, duck liver, duck gizzard, boneless skinless duck breast, herring oil, d-alpha tocopherol. If you keep her on this long term I would buy some sea kelp for added vitamins, most of the commercial frozen raw products already contain this, so you are ok without it if you switch her to another product later. If not, you can buy from Amazon, and give about 1/8 tsp twice daily mixed with food. eg. https://www.amazon.com/STARWEST-BOTA.../dp/B0071GWMA2

    I would get her started on cetirizine 15 mg daily (antihistamine), you can get it cheap from Costco for example https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign....11312465.html

    I

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •