Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 39

Thread: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

  1. #25
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,640
    Pets Names
    Jax
    Trophies

    Re: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Thomas LaBounty View Post
    Allergy Treatment Update: Sarge saw the dermatologist yesterday and she said he looks "good". She thinks the injections are working and I can tell you he does not smell bad anymore. We continue his vial and then return before we reorder in about 3/1/2-4 more months. I hate giving the injections but I am getting used to it. Last one he got a lump at the injection site about the size of a quarter and I was freaking out of course but I put a warm compress on it and the lump went away so I am not sure what cause that since I did the same thing I have done each time I have had to inject him. Nonetheless, he's alive, I am alive and he smells just perfect!
    Just wondering how the allergy shots are going. Jax had an allergy test last week and is allergic to trees, grass, weeds, molds and I gave him his first injection on Tuesday and he gets another one tonight. He gets them every 3 days for awhile and then every 7 days, etc. and eventually he will get one every 21 days. On Wednesday, the day after his first shot, he was a bit itchy and his ears were red but he is also on Apoquel to help out until the shots (hopefully) start working which I know can be 6 - 10 months before there is an enormous improvement.

  2. #26
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Mavis's Avatar
    Real Name
    Marianne
    Location
    Western, NY
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,385
    Pets Names
    Bambi, Ginger

    Re: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Kable View Post
    Great information, Lisa! Thanks for posting this well written article!
    Hello, just curious as to why apple cider vinegar is recommended over white vinegar. I would think that apple c.v . had sugar? Also, what is a.c.v. "from the Mother"? Is this different than what you can get at the grocery store? Thank you!

  3. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3
    Pets Names
    Pierre

    Unhappy Re: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    -20150717_192100-jpg
    -20150717_192115-jpg
    My frenchie has extreme hive , he has been to the vet 3 time and the give antibiotics and the temryl p ( steroid) . it helps until he is off the meds and the day after it comes right back . he isn't outside at all only to.use the bathroom . he is new to Iowa where it is humid . I'm not sure if that can be a contribution . nothing seems to help long ter . Any ideas ??

  4. #28
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,640
    Pets Names
    Jax
    Trophies

    Re: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalee View Post
    -20150717_192100-jpg
    -20150717_192115-jpg
    My frenchie has extreme hive , he has been to the vet 3 time and the give antibiotics and the temryl p ( steroid) . it helps until he is off the meds and the day after it comes right back . he isn't outside at all only to.use the bathroom . he is new to Iowa where it is humid . I'm not sure if that can be a contribution . nothing seems to help long ter . Any ideas ??
    Do you know what he is allergic too? My boy was so bad he was on Temeril P too but it isn't good for long term use. I had finally decided to take Jax to a dermatologist and have an allergy test done. He is allergic to everything green outside. He is now on biweekly allergy shots and gets daily Apoquel.

    You can give Benadryl for the hives but I definitely suggest finding out what he is allergic too so you know what you're dealing with.

  5. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3
    Pets Names
    Pierre

    Re: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    Do you know what he is allergic too? My boy was so bad he was on Temeril P too but it isn't good for long term use. I had finally decided to take Jax to a dermatologist and have an allergy test done. He is allergic to everything green outside. He is now on biweekly allergy shots and gets daily Apoquel.

    You can give Benadryl for the hives but I definitely suggest finding out what he is allergic too so you know what you're dealing with.
    Thank you for responding ! I've been trying benadryl and its not helping , his paws are extremely swollen and red ! An allergy test is my next step . what is the apoquel for ?
    We recently moved from NM to IA I'm thinking something different out here has to be affecting him he's never had anything like this before ! Do you happen to know what an allergy test runs $ ?

  6. #30
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,640
    Pets Names
    Jax
    Trophies

    Re: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    You can try soaking his paws in apple cider vinegar. I don't know the ratio to water off the top of my head but you can find it online. You can also try soaking them in povidone iodine. That one you mix with water until it's the color of iced tea and soak for 5 minutes. I know some people wipe down the paws every time they come inside.

    The Apoquel helps with the itching. I paid a little over $600 for Jax's first dermatologist appointment which included the office visit, intradermal allergy test, anesthesia, first batch of allergy serum and the Apoquel. The serum runs about $250 and it lasts about 6 months.

    Have you tried changing food? What are you currently feeding?

  7. #31
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    2bullymama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania, United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,472
    Pets Names
    Chelios
    Trophies

    Re: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalee View Post
    -20150717_192100-jpg
    -20150717_192115-jpg
    My frenchie has extreme hive , he has been to the vet 3 time and the give antibiotics and the temryl p ( steroid) . it helps until he is off the meds and the day after it comes right back . he isn't outside at all only to.use the bathroom . he is new to Iowa where it is humid . I'm not sure if that can be a contribution . nothing seems to help long ter . Any ideas ??
    Could something in food or house changed since the hives started? My Bulldog would get hives from chicken, salmon and something else that we never could figure out

    my sweet angel babies
    Nitschke 2004-2011 and Banks 2005-2014

  8. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3
    Pets Names
    Pierre

    Unhappy Re: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bullymama View Post
    Could something in food or house changed since the hives started? My Bulldog would get hives from chicken, salmon and something else that we never could figure out
    His food did change , he went from just a plain chicken no wheat no soy . to a high grade food with just no grain. So I've changed him back to his old food to see if that help . The only other thing I can think of is , I bought him a new bed , its 100% poly and got it from tj max. So.I've thrown that and have him sleeping on a pillow with cotton pilow case . still really bad hives and swollen paws.

  9. #33
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    2bullymama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania, United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,472
    Pets Names
    Chelios
    Trophies

    Re: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalee View Post
    His food did change , he went from just a plain chicken no wheat no soy . to a high grade food with just no grain. So I've changed him back to his old food to see if that help . The only other thing I can think of is , I bought him a new bed , its 100% poly and got it from tj max. So.I've thrown that and have him sleeping on a pillow with cotton pilow case . still really bad hives and swollen paws.
    You can give Benedryl. 1 mg per pound

    my sweet angel babies
    Nitschke 2004-2011 and Banks 2005-2014

  10. #34
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Jakeyjake's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laura
    Country
    USA
    Location
    California
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,484
    Pets Names
    Jake & Stella

    Re: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    Poor guy...that looks awfully miserable. If the Benadryl is not helping you can try Claritin or Zyrtec to give him some relief until you figure out what he is allergic to. I would also try a soothing oatmeal bath. Did you switch proteins in his food?
    Mom to Jake & StellaIG @Jake_the_frenchie

  11. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2
    Pets Names
    agatha, otto

    Unhappy Re: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    -img_6844-jpg

    can someone help me identifying this skin problem on my french bulldog? the vet has given her all what he thinks she needs but it seems not to stop, will get better a day or two and it reappears worsened. She has even got ozone therapy. Shes had it for more than 6 months. Ive followed all recomendations given by vet about food, cleaning, bathing, etc

  12. #36
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    2bullymama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania, United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,472
    Pets Names
    Chelios
    Trophies

    Re: Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

    Quote Originally Posted by cynthiaoldham View Post
    -img_6844-jpg

    can someone help me identifying this skin problem on my french bulldog? the vet has given her all what he thinks she needs but it seems not to stop, will get better a day or two and it reappears worsened. She has even got ozone therapy. Shes had it for more than 6 months. Ive followed all recomendations given by vet about food, cleaning, bathing, etc

    that looks like staph infection, but not totally sure. Has your vet done an allergy test of any type or just giving steroids and prescription foods? we just had this done for our Bulldog... full panel blood test, it is not 100% accurate, but damn close and gives a good baseline to know what to avoid and how to treat, instead of always guessing and hoping it works.

    The blood panel costs 200.00, but you have to make sure he is off all steroids and other allergy meds (not Benedryl or Claritin type... he can have those) for a full 30 dyas before the blood is taken, otherwise you will get false results because those meds suppress the allergens
    Last edited by 2bullymama; 03-25-2016 at 05:54 PM.

    my sweet angel babies
    Nitschke 2004-2011 and Banks 2005-2014

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •