Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to stop french bulldog from biting when excited?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    7
    Pets Names
    Lucky

    How to stop french bulldog from biting when excited?

    Ok so my french bulldog is 8 Months old, we all live together with me and my stay at home all day parents who are retired and Home all day with Lucky my Frenchie. So when I leave for work at 4am and return home around 2:30.. once I click that door open and walk he comes excited running to me standing jumping to see me but everytime I try to pet him hello am here he would lick then start bitting my hand and follows me up to my room jumps in the bed waiting for me to change and continues to try jumping standing in me and trying to bite my hand and arm when Iím trying to pet him any method to get Home to stop doing that? And itís not just me Lucky also does it to my mother as well everytime she leaves to the store for like a half hour...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Melody
    Country
    USA
    Location
    SC
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,366
    Pets Names
    Twiggy

    Re: How to stop french bulldog from biting when excited?

    Aww how cute is he?? So adorable. Anyway, Does he know some basic commands? I would ignore that behavior and ask him to do some things like sit, down, etc. When he does that praise him and maybe give him a treat or hand him a toy he loves. Sounds like he is just getting overly excited to see you guys. If he doesn't know commands, work on teaching him some.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,109
    Pets Names
    Jax
    Trophies

    Re: How to stop french bulldog from biting when excited?

    Oh, what a cutie pie!

    Lucky is still fairly young and easily excitable. My bulldog is almost 11 months old and does the same thing. Jax is 4 and while he still gets excited when someone comes home, it is a "calmer" excited. Bulldogs are "people" dogs so when you leave them, even if for 5 minutes, they act like you've been gone for years. Look up the Nothing in Life is Free technique. As Tgirl mentions, ignore him until he calms down.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    7
    Pets Names
    Lucky

    Re: How to stop french bulldog from biting when excited?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tgirl View Post
    Aww how cute is he?? So adorable. Anyway, Does he know some basic commands? I would ignore that behavior and ask him to do some things like sit, down, etc. When he does that praise him and maybe give him a treat or hand him a toy he loves. Sounds like he is just getting overly excited to see you guys. If he doesn't know commands, work on teaching him some.
    Hi Thanks, yes he knows some basic commands I just never tried doing so to him when once I walk into the I just let him get excited jump on me and start bitting me, but Iíll definitely give this a try.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    7
    Pets Names
    Lucky

    Re: How to stop french bulldog from biting when excited?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    Oh, what a cutie pie!

    Lucky is still fairly young and easily excitable. My bulldog is almost 11 months old and does the same thing. Jax is 4 and while he still gets excited when someone comes home, it is a "calmer" excited. Bulldogs are "people" dogs so when you leave them, even if for 5 minutes, they act like you've been gone for years. Look up the Nothing in Life is Free technique. As Tgirl mentions, ignore him until he calms down.
    Thank you I definitely will try...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Squishy Walnuts's Avatar
    Real Name
    Will
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Mississauga, ON
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,648
    Pets Names
    Wally and Uma

    Re: How to stop french bulldog from biting when excited?

    Welcome! He is gorgeous!!
    Follow my clown dogs on IG: @squishywalnuts

  7. #7
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member Frenchie Fanatic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pedro
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Plantation, Florida
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Pets Names
    Sofi, Charlie (Frenchies) Sammie (Pug)

    Re: How to stop french bulldog from biting when excited?

    Quote Originally Posted by chino316 View Post
    Ok so my french bulldog is 8 Months old, we all live together with me and my stay at home all day parents who are retired and Home all day with Lucky my Frenchie. So when I leave for work at 4am and return home around 2:30.. once I click that door open and walk he comes excited running to me standing jumping to see me but everytime I try to pet him hello am here he would lick then start bitting my hand and follows me up to my room jumps in the bed waiting for me to change and continues to try jumping standing in me and trying to bite my hand and arm when I’m trying to pet him any method to get Home to stop doing that? And it’s not just me Lucky also does it to my mother as well everytime she leaves to the store for like a half hour...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Welcome!! Lucky is a handsome boy!!
    You've already gotten some good advice.
    Enjoy your frenchie!

  8. #8
    Head Pooper Scooper
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,094
    Pets Names
    Hazel, JLO, Hillary, Henri, Katie, & Coup

    Re: How to stop french bulldog from biting when excited?

    I think it's a Frenchie thing, I have a couple who will bite, not hard, just little love bits when they are excited to see me. I have a friend and she has a Frenchie who does the same thing. Not all of them do it, but some do. You can try telling him, "no bite" when he does it.
    Have a Great Frenchie Day
    Frenchie hugs and kisses from: Hazel, JLO, Hillary, Henri, Katie & Coup
    Member of French Bulldog Club of America, Bulldog Club of America, & Bulldog Club of Texas

  9. #9
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    2bullymama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania, United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,239
    Pets Names
    Chelios
    Trophies

    Re: How to stop french bulldog from biting when excited?

    Welcome! He is gorgeous.... I would give a firm 'no'...make him sit and then pet him (not on the top of his head) once he is settle. Petting or acknowledging when that level of excitement is telling him it is acceptable to do so... basically, wait for him to settle down before you say hello. it will take some time but you'll get there

    my sweet angel babies
    Nitschke 2004-2011 and Banks 2005-2014

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •