Vaccinations.Many opinions. What is yours?

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
So Maple is now 12 weeks old.
She was first vaccinated at the breeder with 8 weeks old : Distemper,Adenovirus,Parainfluenza,Parvovirus and Leptospirosis(dont understand why)

Then again last week (so with 11 1/2) : Distemper,Adenovirus,Parainfluenza and Parvovirus.

We have an appointment for a third round on December 27th.
The vet told us to think about Kennel cough and Bordetellosis vaccinations but I already decided against it.
Now I have read and heard that some people only get their dogs vaccinated twice (and only the core vaccines) and some even only do it once when the pup is 12 weeks old (there are statistics showing that puppys that get vaccinated the first time with 12 weeks are very ,very likely to build up enough antibodies to protect them for a long time without having a second or third round of shots). I also read about fatal sideeffects and dont want to put Maple in Danger for a vaccination for a disease that is so super,super rare and/or quite easily treatable in a healthy puppy.

What do you guys think? And what is your experience?

Alice Kable

Reaction score
We are very "old school" here and follow the vets recommendations for vaccinations. We keep up to date on Kennel Cough, too, because we have our boys stay at the doggy hotel twice a year!

MamaAndi

Reaction score
Same here. I follow the vets recommendation on the core vaccinations. We have gotten the kennel cough vaccine when we have to have the dogs boarded because it's the vets rules.
I know some people try to go with minimal vaccines but I just figure....if it's a preventable disease/ailment....why not?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I do what the vet recommends as well. Plus Jax goes to doggie daycare a couple times a month and certain vaccinations are required in order to being able to attend.

trishkidd24

Reaction score
We have our vet do all of the recommended vaccinations except Kennel Cough and Bordatella. We do not kennel our dogs, we hire a in home sitter when we have to go away for the night.

I have tried to skimp before with one of our cats on de-wormer and flea meds and it ended up biting my in the butt later on. I turned down the offer to deworm and de-flea one of our cats when he was in for a routine exam (he is a indoor/outdoor cat)... Well come to find out he did have worms and since he had been exposed to the other animals in my house, instead of having to de-worm and de-flea one cat, I ended up having to treat 2 dogs and 2 cats for worms, ear mites, and fleas.... not fun.. So now I just treat for everything to make sure everyone is happy and healthy... Saves headaches and stress in the long run.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
We only do what is required by law.... rabies and distemper. Kennel/Bordetella are the smae thing and should be considered if you will be going to dog parks, day care, kennel.
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] may have some insight on a pup of 12 wks.

pbois

Reaction score
I've worked at an animal hospital for 14 years and, IMO, there is more benefit to the vaccines than problems. The distemper/parvo vaccine in particular protects against two of the worst viruses for dogs that can be prevented by giving the vaccine. As puppies it is still recommended they receive 3 boosters at 3-4 weeks apart.....the more current research says it is best for puppy to receive the 3rd vaccine between the ages of 14-16 weeks. At our clinic we went to a DHP only (distemper, hepatitis, parvo) and we put our Parainfluenza in with our Bordetella, intranasally, because the most current research says the parainfluenza serves no point in with the combo vaccine. Also, Lepto should be given as a separate vaccine, if needed, never in with the combo vaccine. Rabies is, of course, by law.

I think if you trust that your Vet is staying up on the most current research and using the better vaccine companies out there then vaccinating prevents more than it hurts. My 2 cents..... :)

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We always give our pups the recommended vaccines, and have never had a problem with any of them. We don't do Bordetellosis unless we are taking them somewhere where they might be around other dogs, like to a dog show.