I do not own one yet....Have questions

ilzho

Reaction score
Hello:

I am familiar with dogs and have had them most of my life, but I have never had a frenchie and I thought I would ask everyone some questions about the breed.

I have had great danes before and they tend to sleep most of the day and enjoy a walk and don't mind that I am away at work for the day.

Is the frenchie a type of dog that needs human companion 24/7 and would suffer from separation anxiety if I am away at work for the day?
I have heard that they hate to be away from their human?

Any help is appreciated.

David

MamaAndi

Reaction score
I would agree with that. They seem like more of a breed that thrives on companionship...not so much being alone. That being said, I know we have members on here who have to leave their dogs alone while they work. There are tons of ways you can remedy that....hire a dog walker....get two frenchies.... :)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Frenchies are definitely people dogs but with that being said, we do leave Jax alone for about 7 1/2 hours each day while at work (since summer ended). Does he love it? No. But he does fine. I try to send him to doggie daycare a few times a month so that he is able to run around and be a maniac with other dogs.

trishkidd24

Reaction score
I agree with everyone above. My dogs spend days be by themselves for around 8 hours when my husband and I work the same day shift. They all do fine with this, as long as we are home after work. Of course my frenchie, Marg, prefers that I stay home and play with her all day, but she is fine when I have to leave and she goes in her kennel to relax for the day. She is usually very energized and ready to go once I get home and let her out.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Any breed will /can suffer from seperation anxiety some are mor prone to it, but it is all in how the dog is trained and treated.

My Bulldog and Frenchie sleep about 14-16 hous a day, lots of play and yard time helps keep them active when we are home, but while working they are crated and all snuggle in their crate

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. as they do love to be with people, but do fine during the day while you are at work.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I would agree with that. They seem like more of a breed that thrives on companionship...not so much being alone. That being said, I know we have members on here who have to leave their dogs alone while they work. There are tons of ways you can remedy that....hire a dog walker....get two frenchies.... :)

I like the idea of 2 Frenchies!