Hello from New York!

Will Powerr

Reaction score
Like all the animals I have ever had. I always joined a forum to get more info and talk about them. Hopefully this is the place to go. This forum looks pretty nice. I just recently adopted a 6 year old French Bulldog :D. The owner did not have time to take care of him since his first child was born. He has skin issues so between that and his age, no one was really interested and I knew he was going to either go to a crappy home or end up being in a shelter. So thought I'd take him home and have him tag a long in this journey called life. I just wanted to post up and introduce myself bc I will most likely be here often.

It's been 4 years since my Lab passed away and I've been out of the loop. Can some one give me some input in best websites to purchase products and items etc.

And what do you feed your Frenchie?

Hello from Yoda! :cool:

mhuinker

Reaction score
Hi Will and Yoda and welcome to the sight! Thank you so much for giving Yoda a great home! I believe this to be a great site for getting some help. I know I find it quite helpful as a first time Frenchie owner. We look forward to seeing some pictures of little Yoda!! Since he is having skin issues, you will want to get him on a grain free diet (if his skin issues are food related, but that's a good place to start). There are a few good grain free foods to choose from and I believe there is an article on this website about them.

I feed Leo 4 Life grain free (dry), which can be found at Tractor Supply. Fromm is also another good food. There are others, but I'm not recalling the name of them at the moment, but I'm sure others will chime in.

P.S. - you don't drive an IndyCar..... do you? :)

Will Powerr

Reaction score
Thank you Michelle. I was actually admiring Leo on the FB page before I joined. I love his color and the black patch around his right eye. He looks super healthy.
Thank you for the advise on the food. Most definitely he will be eating grain free food. Right now he's on this brand called "Taste of the Wild". This is what I was suggested to feed him since it's high in protein. I also got something called Letochlor shampoo to help with allergy and hair regrowth. Hopefully soon he will look and feel great.

Took the time to upload pics since you asked!

He's one of the sweetest dogs I have ever owned (Doberman & Lab). He doesn't do any that causes havoc in the house. He's pretty calm and chill. He is the only Frenchie I've been around. Idk if they're demeanor are all like this.

You can see the hair loss on his belly and feet area and his nose became rough and dry due to rubbing it on things.

IMG_4658.jpgIMG_4630.jpg

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN! My Frenchie, Jax, is on Pacific Stream Taste of the Wild. I had recently switched him to Nature's Variety Instinct LID Lamb but the protein is higher than Taste of the Wild and his stool is becoming hard and he is having some trouble going so I am switching him back to the Taste of the Wild.

trishkidd24

Reaction score
I, like many other members, feed my girl Fromm. I have my two mixed breed dogs on Fromm Adult Classic, and I have my frenchie girl on Fromm Four Star Salmon A La Veg. I dont think that particular flavor is grain free though, but they have many flavors to choose from. I am extremely happy with switching to Fromm so far.
On my mixed breeds (who were eating a mid grade brand called Diamond, I wanted to switch because too many recalls) I have noticed since the switch their coats are smoother, silkier, and they seem to be shedding less.
And with Fromm, my frenchie girl has a nice coat, no allergies (so far, she is only 8 months old), and her stool is always firm and regular.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Thank you Michelle. I was actually admiring Leo on the FB page before I joined. I love his color and the black patch around his right eye. He looks super healthy.
Thank you for the advise on the food. Most definitely he will be eating grain free food. Right now he's on this brand called "Taste of the Wild". This is what I was suggested to feed him since it's high in protein. I also got something called Letochlor shampoo to help with allergy and hair regrowth. Hopefully soon he will look and feel great.

Took the time to upload pics since you asked!

He's one of the sweetest dogs I have ever owned (Doberman & Lab). He doesn't do any that causes havoc in the house. He's pretty calm and chill. He is the only Frenchie I've been around. Idk if they're demeanor are all like this.

You can see the hair loss on his belly and feet area and his nose became rough and dry due to rubbing it on things.

View attachment 2098View attachment 2099

Dan! What a cutie Yoda is!! Thank you for the compliments on Leo! :) He is my baby! Leo is also very calm and not high strung. This is my first time owning a Frenchie. They are usually very excited to meet someone new (Leo has been very very friendly to everyone he meets), little stinker! :) But I think that is a breed trait. They are usually not a high strung breed either. So, little Yoda sounds like a normal Frenchie to me. :) They are very sweet. Taste of the Wild is supposed to be a good food too.

Poor baby, hopefully you can get his itchies under control. Sounds like you are on the right path. Leo doesn't have any itchy or hair loss issues, but depending on the time of year, he will come in from outside and lick his feet/legs, so I try to wipe them off when he comes in just in case he has allergies to something outside.

The black part of his little nose can be made nice and smooth with a little application of vasoline. :) I do that for Leo when I see his nose getting dry and cracked, he doesn't like it, but it makes a huge difference.

Thank you for the pictures, he is just such a cutie! Thank you for rescuing him! We look forward to more photos in the future and hope he is on the road to recovery from the itchies soon!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
:welcome3: Welcome Dan and Yoda! Thank you for rescuing Yoda! I use Aquaphor on Bully noses and it works well. I feed Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Turkey because my English Bulldog has food allergies!

Will Powerr

Reaction score
I truely appreciate all the responses and feedbacks. With the food varieties and advises on the allergies, it will definitely help get Yoda back to better health.
I never would have thought I'd own a Frenchie. I was always a fan of bigger dogs but I have found a new found love for this little guys. :happy:

mhuinker

Reaction score
I truely appreciate all the responses and feedback. With the food varieties and advises on the allergies, it will definitely help get Yoda back to better health.
I never would have thought I'd own a Frenchie. I was always a fan of bigger dogs but I have found a new found love for this little guys. :happy:

Same with me, always a fan of the big dogs (have always owned Boxers, and still LOVE them!), but I've also always loved the bulldogs and especially the Frenchies because of their cuteness and temperaments.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and Yoda is a handsome boy. So happy you adopted him and gave him a loving fur-ever home. Frenchies are just the best. Some are pretty laid back and some are pretty hyper. Our Hazel is laid back and just the sweetest.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Welcome, Dan.

It is so good of you to give a home to an older Frenchie. They are such appreciative dogs.
I love how Yoda is laying on his blanket, so cute!

Will Powerr

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys! Mannn the advise on putting vaseline on his dry and cracking nose has been working. It looks so bristly before. It's been 3 days and he's nose is almost back to normal. Feel pretty good to see some results.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys! Mannn the advise on putting vaseline on his dry and cracking nose has been working. It looks so bristly before. It's been 3 days and he's nose is almost back to normal. Feel pretty good to see some results.

Great news Dan! Now, hopefully, once his new diet kicks in, his skin issues will heal as well! He's such a beautiful boy! Glad the vaseline is working. I think Leo is overdue, he's going to be so happy about that! LOL

trishkidd24

Reaction score
We bought a special bully butter for French bulldog noses :) it came in the cutest little container and works great! I try to do Margs nose once a week or more since it's been so cold and dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and :welcome3: to FBN!

sorry I am late to the party

Reaction score
Welcome from NY! Yoda is a very cool name. Skin issues? We have them too. My dog sees a dermatologist who claims chicken is one of the biggest food issues. She recommends that Dick Van Patten stuff (forget what it's called) and recommends fish based for skin and coat. I feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon because I like the ingredients better. Anything grain fee and fish based should be good for skin issues. Do you know if they are food based or environmental? There is an excellent article on here about skin allergies. I wished I'd had something like that to read when I first noted my dog smelled funny. It would have saved a whole lot of time. Best of luck to you Dan. Yoda is one handsome boy so I hope you'll be the best of buds!!!!