Have you ever been bitten by your frenchie?

gmarti20

Reaction score
Our 3.5 month old pup gets really aggressive when we try to remove an item from his mouth (sock, shoe, towel, rock, etc). I used to be able to force his mouth open and remove the item, but now it has gotten to the point where he gets really upset and has actually bitten us. Any other time he is good and is friendly with other people and dogs. He usally nibbles on our fingers when we play, but doesn't bite too hard. I also pet him and stick my hand in his bowl while he eats and there are no signs of aggression. It's only when we try to take away something from him. Is there a way to correct this? I'm starting to teach him to let go of things, but I can only do it with treats. I want to correct this now while he's young and don't want to get caught in a situation where he has a hold of something and I don't have any treats to get him to let go.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Cosette is 3 and when we first adopted her 6 months ago she would want to rough play and chew on my fingers and feet all the time. She has calmed down and does it much less

Do you think in your case it's puppy play or him asserting his personality?

gmarti20

Reaction score
Cosette is 3 and when we first adopted her 6 months ago she would want to rough play and chew on my fingers and feet all the time. She has calmed down and does it much less

Do you think in your case it's puppy play or him asserting his personality?

It's definitely not puppy play. He growls and shows his teeth as a warning when I first try to remove the item from his mouth. He has bitten me twice. The first time he bit me on my thumb and made me bleed on both sides.... his top and bottom teeth got in pretty deep and I still have scars.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He is developing what could be 'toy aggression' ... you may want to get him into a training class or read up on 'nothing in life is free' great training tool to teach you are 'alpha' and he should do as you say to get what he wants. Use the treats to have him release the toys and praise him for doing so... then give the toy back, let him know he will have it as long as he listens to you

gmarti20

Reaction score
He is developing what could be 'toy aggression' ... you may want to get him into a training class or read up on 'nothing in life is free' great training tool to teach you are 'alpha' and he should do as you say to get what he wants. Use the treats to have him release the toys and praise him for doing so... then give the toy back, let him know he will have it as long as he listens to you

Toy aggression sounds about right. He can't stand anyone touching his toys. Thanks for the advice. I will continue to work with treats and look into training. This is our first puppy, so we know the problem is us and not him.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Toy aggression sounds about right. He can't stand anyone touching his toys. Thanks for the advice. I will continue to work with treats and look into training. This is our first puppy, so we know the problem is us and not him.

good luck... remember do not be nervous, he will pick up on it and react badly

mhuinker

Reaction score

Great advice! Leo doesn't have any aggression issues, but I think I might even read up on that, just to learn how to become the alpha in my house! :) Thank you Christine!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Christine gave you great advice. Gabe should be very trainable at his young age!

MamaAndi

Reaction score
LOL at above comments! Puppies are just like kids...they have different personalities and quirks and some are naughtier than others. I don't think it has anything to do with you being a first time puppy owner. You just have a puppy that needs some guidance so he knows what he can and can't get away with :)

I'm sure you will get him turned around in no time!