New puppy...help!

Jade

Reaction score
I've just bought home my first ever dog, a female frenchie. she is 11 weeks old. she doesn't seem to be toilet trained at all and whilst I know how to do it I am struggling to know when she actually needs to go as she sometimes hovers almost squatting but not to wee? any ideas on what I can do?

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
With 11 weeks its almost certain to say she is not house broken yet.
Usually puppys pee after waking up from a nap, playtime and after they eat.
With 11 weeks Maple at least peed once an hour/every 40 mins and poo probably about 8x a day

The best thing to do is to get a routine. Feed her at the same time,and take her out immediately after a nap and about 15 mins after feeding.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Take her out every two hours when she is out. Plus as soon as she wakes up from a nap, take her out, when she is playing, take her our more ofter. Usually when she wakes up, after playing, before she eats, and after she eats, take her out. As she gets older, you can make the time out a little longer until she finally gets it. It also goes by age. They can usually hold their pee for one hour of month of age. So if she is 4 months old, then she can hold it for 4 hours. Sometimes longer and sometimes less. Be patient with her and take her out offten and make sure she goes when outside and praise her like crazy when she goes outside.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
But the months/hour rule doesnt really apply to every dog. Maple will be 4 months January 22 but still pees about once an hour when shes up. She can hold it for 10 hours at night but during the day she goes almost every hour.

But of course every dog is different ;) Im sure you will figure her "potty schedule" out in no time ;)

Alice Kable

Reaction score
You've received some good advice. One thing I've noticed with every puppy is they sniff the floor/ground before going potty so watch for that, then hustle her outside. Some pups circle around a spot to go potty, so watch for sniffing and circling!

winginit66

Reaction score
You've received some good advice. One thing I've noticed with every puppy is they sniff the floor/ground before going potty so watch for that, then hustle her outside. Some pups circle around a spot to go potty, so watch for sniffing and circling!

I agree! Also if they start hustling around, it's usually a good sign they've got to go.

Fred

Reaction score
Fred would always sniff around before having to go. One thing I did to help speed up the process was to buy a couple bells and string and put it on the door handle to go outside. Every time he played with it I would take him outside and wait till he went potty. Once he went potty I'd take him back in. He caught on really fast. Only about two days. I was shocked and so were other people. But he would still have accidents because he would forget.

It can get a little annoying at times to hear the bells when he's learning what they are for. He would play with them too and I'd have to take him out when he just went out. But I think staying on top of it helped him learn fast.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk