My itchy faced Frenchie

CremedeLou

Reaction score
Louie is always scratching and rubbing his face, especially after eating. I've tried wiping his mouth after meals but that doesn't seem to help. He doesn't do it too long, just long enough to annoy me!! :) Scratching, snorting, rubbing his face on the carpet and carrying on! His wrinkly little mouth is always a bit pink and irritated. My vet is really not concerned about food allergy but I can't help but suspect he is. I've tried a variety of different foods. Wellness, Merrick, Natures Logic, Small Batch raw, and currently on Brothers Complete grain free rotating with grain free raw patties. Tried different proteins - lamb, beef, venison, chicken, turkey, pork. *Sigh*
Still itchy. Is it normal for frenchies to be so itchy? I'm thinking about allergy testing, but just curious since he's my first frenchie if anyone else has an itchy faced frenchie :)

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Gotta be a Bulldog/Frenchie thing.... All of my guys do this, especially after a gone marrow bone or a meal. Rub their face all over the rug and flipping over on their back

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I have two Frenchies, and neither one will do this. It could also be something else causing the allergy. Could be the wipes you are using, the rug, the blanket or bed material, almost anything.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
You could have your vet do a food allergy test or if it is a contact allergy wash everything he comes in contact with with unscented soap, rinse it twice. Wash his face with a damp washrag(only water). It could be a habit he has picked up on too.

CremedeLou

Reaction score
I think it is allergy testing time because I've been pretty careful with what I use to wipe him with and I use All unscented detergent with a double rinse thinking the same thing. I've also wondered about the rug.... I just feel so bad for him and I just want to figure his itchies out!! Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Louie is always scratching and rubbing his face, especially after eating. I've tried wiping his mouth after meals but that doesn't seem to help. He doesn't do it too long, just long enough to annoy me!! :) Scratching, snorting, rubbing his face on the carpet and carrying on! His wrinkly little mouth is always a bit pink and irritated. My vet is really not concerned about food allergy but I can't help but suspect he is. I've tried a variety of different foods. Wellness, Merrick, Natures Logic, Small Batch raw, and currently on Brothers Complete grain free rotating with grain free raw patties. Tried different proteins - lamb, beef, venison, chicken, turkey, pork. *Sigh*
Still itchy. Is it normal for frenchies to be so itchy? I'm thinking about allergy testing, but just curious since he's my first frenchie if anyone else has an itchy faced frenchie :)

Thanks!!

I'm going through the same thing with Jax. He is constantly scratching his face and sometimes draws a little bit of blood from scratching so hard. I have also gone through numerous brands of food and proteins as well. Right now I am giving him Benadryl throughout the day and it does help but I think I am going to have to do allergy testing as well to hopefully find out once and for all what, if any, his food allergies are.

Katie Winchell

Reaction score
I switched Norms food about a month ago and I've noticed he has been licking and chewing on his paws a lot over the past week and his belly is pinker than normal with a bunch of darker pink spots all over. I'm switching him back to the old food. In the meantime I give him Benadryl and baths with shampoo for sensitive skin. It will probably take a couple of weeks after switching him back to the old food to see if it helps.