Naughty Frenchie who thinks she rules me ! ! !

G

Gina

I got my adorable French Bulldog the end of September 2013. I love her to death and she is 99.9% potty trained which is a great surprise since I've been told that can be rough. She will sit, sit and stay until I tell her to "come" (if a treat is involved) She does pretty good, BUT . . . . She will go to my nice leather furniture and either scratch/dig at it or chew at it just to get me to chase her. I know I am supposed to ignore her . . . BUT . . . . MY FURNITURE. She is not easy to catch and it turns into a game to her. She is getting what she wants (me to chase her) . . .. but I'm at my wits end with her game ! ! !

I've sprayed everything with Apple Bitter (it does not work), I've tried those compressed air noise makers, they do not work, I've sprayed her with water - she thinks that is a game, too. . . .

I love her to DEATH and hope this is just a puppy phase. She was born on 06/01/13 - so about 7 1/2 months now. I looked for her for a year and a half as I wanted specific markings. She is snow white with one black eye and one black ear. . . . . She knows she is cute :)

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Welcome Gina and Diva! I can't wait to see some pictures of your girl!

Frenchies are very playful and it sounds like she is both smart and playful. Could you temporarily cover your furniture with old blankets so when she starts scratching and chewing you can just tell her no, give her something acceptable to chew on, and not chase her? She knows how to get you to play her game! Another thought would be to put her in a time out in her crate when she starts chewing on the furniture.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. You have some good advice above. The main thing is do not chase her when she has done something bad. Just scold her and ignore her. She will our grow this one of tees days.

G

Gina

I put a chair cover on one of the armless leather chairs she was biting/scratching. She actually liked that better as she got a hold of the fabric and drug the chair across the room . . . . So to comment on the blanket thing - it won't work. She does not listen to the word NO . . . . She does so much better when she has more exercise. We live in MN and this winter has been terrible.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
As Alcie suggested.... redirect her behavior to something she can have. Also, read the 'sticky thread' in training, Nothing in Life is Free... ti will help you