Mitaban Dip ---- HELP PLEASE!!!

BellaMayBulldog

Reaction score
So my Bella has Demodectic mange. She has ONE spot on her side that showed the mites. The vet wants to start her first Mitaban dip tomorrow. He started her on antibiotics as well. I have been reading about this dips and they sound horrible, especially for Frenchies and their systems.

I need help on these my Frenchie friends! I don't want this to spread but I don't want to hurt my pup. I plan on going to get some stuff to help boost her immune system tomorrow and she has the antibiotics, but should I do the dips or get a second opinion, like from a dermatologist?! She is 18 months old, just so ya know.

Please, please give me some replies!

~ Loving life with our Frenchie

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about mange or these dips but I'm sorry this is happening to your baby. Hope Bella gets better soon!

BellaMayBulldog

Reaction score
[MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION], thank you!!!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I wouldn't do the dip. The antibiotics should help, plus give a spoonful of plain yogurt once a day, and give her either HardyPet Complete or NuVet Plus, they will help build the immune system. There are medicated shampoos that help also, ask your vet or another vet which one to use. I hope she gets rid of it soon.

BellaMayBulldog

Reaction score
I just bought the Hardy boost online David!! Rushing it here. My friend Kelly, who owns Olive and Tetley talked to her Vet and she said with one lesions would be hesitant to do dip. Try goodwinol. Have you heard of this?!

BellaMayBulldog

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the lesion. Just one. It is redder because they scraped it! I wanted you to see how small it is. I feel like we can beat this without toxic stuff!

3azenyna.jpg

guraquvy.jpg

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
That is a small spot and hope she gets rid of it soon. I have never used the ointment your friend told you about, so I have no info on that, but it is made to help with mange,

BellaMayBulldog

Reaction score
He didn't suggest that, although I will go by this morning and discuss more options. We can do dip tomorrow if I decide too. I want to call my vet I grew up with. I just need another opinion, not someone who ruses to the dip without any other course of treatment.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Awww, poor Bella, hope you can nip this in the bud soon!

pbois

Reaction score
The goodwinol ointment would be my first choice with a localized lesion as you have shown. We have had varied results with the ointment, but I would definitely try it first with such a small area. Ivermectin, as someone mentioned above, is also a great treatment for Demodex in an animal that the cream didn't work or in an animal with a more generalized lesions. Lastly, sometimes you just can't avoid the dips and they do work, but you are right in being apprehensive as they can be hard on the dog (and the workers performing the dip). We usually bathe in pyoben shampoo first and dip afterwards. I have to say with the single lesion you have shown I am a little surprised a Vet would jump straight to the dips..... Good luck!

BellaMayBulldog

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! We went with the Goodwinol ointment. I am bathing once a week whole body win the medicated mange shampoo and then everyday washing the one lesion with it and putting the goodwinol on. It is already looking better. Her scaly skin has even gone down. We are giving her HardyPlus twice a day like recommended to bump up her immune system and some plain yogurt. She is on antibiotics for her UTI, so I feel like we can beat this without more mange meds! :) Crossing fingers!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! We went with the Goodwinol ointment. I am bathing once a week whole body win the medicated mange shampoo and then everyday washing the one lesion with it and putting the goodwinol on. It is already looking better. Her scaly skin has even gone down. We are giving her HardyPlus twice a day like recommended to bump up her immune system and some plain yogurt. She is on antibiotics for her UTI, so I feel like we can beat this without more mange meds! :) Crossing fingers!

Great news! Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk