Dear experienced Frenchie owners! Please help..

Artemis1

Reaction score
Intro:
Hello,
I'm new to this sit/forum.
My name is Arrie, I'm a young lady living in the U.S.A. I have a male french bulldog named Jaux. I love him to death! Jaux is roughly two years old and I've had him for a little over a year. Jaux comes from a line of show Frenchies and he + his entire family are registered AKC dogs. Both of Jaux's parents have been healthy sense the day they were born (in other words, his mom and dad have never had any health problems or conditions).

Help Me Please:
Lately my french bulldog has been having a very odd breathing problem of which I'm very concerned. Now and then my frenchie will act and sound as if he is choking on his own tongue! This chocking thing will usually only last for about 5-10 minutes minutes and then he is fine again. If I'm around during this odd breathing fit I rush to his side and I soothe him which seems to cause his odd breathing problem to stop much faster (within 1-3 minutes I'd say). I am very worried. Could he have asthma? Has anyone else had this problem?

Here is a video on youtube I found of a dog doing the EXACT same thing as mine (warning: in the video, the dog's owner laughs at his choking dog..yes I know the owner seems idiotically cruel to laugh at such a time but this is the only video I could find of a Frenchie with the same problem as mine):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyOBSN8qVaQ

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I want to welcome you to the site and looking forward in seeing pics of your baby. I answered your question in your post in the Health section. This is a normal thing we call a reverse sneeze. Please see my reply in your other post.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
David is 100% correct and it is normal and nothing to worry about!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to FBN..... Totally normal, David has you covered

Artemis1

Reaction score
Thank you everyone! I'm so relieved! I'm also a little embarrassed, I suppose it's safe to state that I'm a first time Frenchie owner.

Thanks again,
Signed, Arrie and her healthy, sleepy pup
a2uvu3yr.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhuinker

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Jaux is such a cute baby! I too, am a first time Frenchie owner! Glad you have your mind put at ease quickly! Everyone on here is so helpful and friendly, which was a great relief to me! :) No need to be embarrassed at all! Better safe than sorry!

:welcome2:

HugosMama

Reaction score
Great to know! As a first time Frenchie owner myself, I had wondered about this too! Hugo has had this a couple of times (duration of a minute or so)-- and it's good to know it's completely normal. Welcome Arrie and Jaux!!

MamaAndi

Reaction score
Welcome to FBN! Never hesitate to ask a question....that's how we become experienced frenchie owners! ;)

Glad to have you here!

winginit66

Reaction score
Hi Arrie and Jaux (how do you pronounce that?) from Anne, Gidget, Olivia & Wilson in VA.