PLEASE HELP: French Bulldog Pup's Breathing Problem (Asthma?)

Artemis1

Reaction score
Intro:
Hello,
I'm new to this sit/forum.
My name is Arrie, I'm a young lady living in the U.S.A. I have a male french bulldog named Jaux. I love him to death! Jaux is roughly two years old and I've had him for a little over a year. Jaux comes from a line of show Frenchies and he + his entire family are registered AKC dogs. Both of Jaux's parents have been healthy sense the day they were born (in other words, his mom and dad have never had any health problems or conditions).

Help Me Please:
Lately my french bulldog has been having a very odd breathing problem of which I'm very concerned. Now and then my frenchie will act and sound as if he is choking on his own tongue! This chocking thing will usually only last for about 5-10 minutes minutes and then he is fine again. If I'm around during this odd breathing fit I rush to his side and I soothe him which seems to cause his odd breathing problem to stop much faster (within 1-3 minutes I'd say). I am very worried. Could he have asthma? Has anyone else had this problem?

Here is a video on youtube I found of a dog doing the EXACT same thing as mine (warning: in the video, the dog's owner laughs at his choking dog..yes I know the owner seems idiotically cruel to laugh at such a time but this is the only video I could find of a Frenchie with the same problem as mine):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyOBSN8qVaQ

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
OK, I saw the video, and that is what we call a reverse sneeze. It is harmless and there are a lot of dogs that do this. Sometimes our bullies will do it and my Beagle would do this when she was sniffing in the grass and got something in her snoot. It can be brought on by something they sniffed up or by allergies. This is the best way to stop it. Take two fingers and cover both their nares for a few seconds and it will stop it. It is caused by a spasm of the diaphragm and stopping them from breathing a few seconds usually stops it. So no worry, this is normal.

Last edited:

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
David is correct.... All is good with you baby. Cheli and Banks do this a lot, they both have seasonal allergies

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I notice it happens more in the winter when the air is so dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artemis1

Reaction score
Thank you everyone so much for your help! I'm so glad this is normal! I feel bad for calling the Frenchie owner in the YouTube video "cruel." My French bulldog and I used to live in a very humid state & now live in a very dry & cold one! His reverse sneezing didn't start until we moved here, so I believe you have something with your dry air, allergy, and cold air theories! (Thumbs up)

Thank you very much for your help
Signed, a thankful first time Frenchie owner and her mischevous, playful, & healthy pup
egyzy8um.jpg

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Glad we could help, that's what we are here for, to learn from each other.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
It still is a little cruel to laugh about a reverse sneeze, I'm sure they don't like it much when it happens. Sneezing in my face however, is a true laughing matter!

Tgirl

Reaction score
I'm a little late to this thread. I agree, it is a reverse sneeze, and your baby is a cutie pie!! He looks mischievous. :)