Help! My frenchie has a very gross habit

jessicae091

Reaction score
So lately chewy has been having accidents in the middle of the night.. When I wake up I find half eaten accident (if you know what I mean). It's really gross.. He has thrown up twice today.. I'm getting a little concerned because he keep eating his pooh.. But only when he goes inside.. Help?

Reaction score
So lately chewy has been having accidents in the middle of the night.. When I wake up I find half eaten accident (if you know what I mean). It's really gross.. He has thrown up twice today.. I'm getting a little concerned because he keep eating his pooh.. But only when he goes inside.. Help?
It's called "coprophagia".
It's a disgusting habit to us, but it is not harmful to your dog if he eats his own feces. However if he eats another dog’s feces, he could get parasites from it if it has been sitting too long. This could happen with your own dogs feces, so be sure to scoop it up as soon as you can.
A way to keep them from eating their own feces is to put meat tenderizer, garlic, or pumpkin powder on their food, this will make their feces unappealing to them.
There are several reasons that dogs eat their feces. It could be from boredom, anxiety or the lack of nutrients in their diet. Be sure that they are fed a high quality natural dog food. Do not buy food that includes by-products, corn, soy, wheat, gluten or artificial flavors or coloring.

jessicae091

Reaction score
I will have to try the powders.. It's crazy because the only time he does it ( and I've caught him) is when he does it inside... I feel him blue buffalo puppy formula.. I hope that's a good enough food

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Blue Buffalo Puppy is a good food. Is he in a crate at night when he poops? He might just be trying to clean up after himself the way his mama did.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
@jessicae091 That's what he is doing, trying to clean up his den. Plus DO NOT give garlic to your baby, because onions, garlic, chives, and leeks are poisonous to both dogs and cats. Garlic is considered to be about five times as potent as onions. It causes damage to the red blood cells and gastroenteritis. Once he gets older he will be able to hold it longer and this will stop. Here is a great site to have around, plus their phone number.
http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/

Last edited:

Tgirl

Reaction score
There is a product called for bid that you mix with their food made specifically for that problem. I have clients that use it with good results and some that it doesn't work for. I'd say it's worth a shot of he keeps it up.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

jessicae091

Reaction score
[MENTION=10]Alice Kable[/MENTION] yes I like it a lot.. He doesn't itch his face anymore.. He sleeps in the kitchen, which leads outside.. He has a doggie door and everything [MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] that make sense.. Him trying to clean up after himself..yeah I figured garlic was as potent as onions.. It sure smells like it! [MENTION=179]Tgirl[/MENTION] is it a liquid or a powder?

Thank you all for your advice :)

Tgirl

Reaction score
It's a powder you mix in their food.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

jessicae091

Reaction score
Oh okay! Thank you! [MENTION=179]Tgirl[/MENTION]