Please advise at end of my tehter this week :(

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
Just a bit of a rant really and if any one has any suggestions I would be really grateful.

Ok I have Winston (14 months) he is a laid back dude never any problem toileting or crate training him he was an absolute dream. He is raw fed and we got him at 11 weeks old. We got Hugo in November at 15-16 weeks, raw fed he's generally good no problems except with toileting, and it has been very hit and miss with the toileting, I thought we were getting the hang of it until the past 10 days. My hands are red raw from cleaning and scrubbing the floors, kitchen, yard washing toys, beds, blankets and Winston and Hugo!!!!! He eats his poo and then is sick everywhere including on poor Winston! Plus he has suddenly taking to chewing everything!!!! the skirting boards, the door post and my new living room side table. The thing is he's like a bloody Ninja, I can be cleaning up a puddle and I turn around and he's pooed and eating it! THEN Winston has now taking to marking over where Hugo has piddled. On top of that Winston has had a rubbish 2 weeks with runny poo and itchy, licking paws (lost some weight) we are getting on top of that and he seems much better the past 3 days. Hubby thinks it because he got into bad habits at breeders as we got him at 16 weeks and littermates went at 10 weeks.

1. Hugo wee's & poo's anywhere even if I have just stood outside with him for 15 mins in yard and even if he's been in yard and done it out there! We treat him when he does it outside and we routinely take him outside.
2. He eats it if he gets a chance and then pukes over Winston, bedding, carpets etc
3. He's chewing furniture etc out of the blue and rips up puppy pads
4. He's started to get a bit nippy
5. He gives no indication of weeing or pooing it's his quirk he literally does it standing up!
6.. Winston marks over Hugo's wee (he always looks really sorry at me like I can't help I tried but I had to, lol)

My house is starting to stink , however much I clean up, it's taking up huge amounts of time. I have OCD and for years (lots of therapy) I have managed really well. I thought I could never cope with having a dog (picking up poo etc and certainly not raw feeding) but I have fostered several dogs before getting H & W and I've overcome all the hurdles with de sensitising etc. I just feel really stressed out and I know they will pick up on that soooooo

I have thought getting Winston neutered next month may help with the marking?
I have 1 large crate and one small crate I though maybe crating Hugo at night as a new starter point/ Should I crate together or just Hugo? (Winston fine he just sleeps all night)
I thought maybe doing last toilet at midnight them set alarm for 3am and 6 am for taking him out of crate and to toilet outside? (generally Winstons hours he woke when pup to toilet)
I take them for walk everyday and we have several trips in the car for school runa nd they have load of toys, kongs, tugggies, balls etc.
No idea what to do with the eating poo thing I clean up after him straight away when I catch him.
Hugo has stag bars and roots to chew on he loves them!

Sorry for long post just nned to try and make a plan and this week has been so busy with hubby working late and the 5 kids at various clubs after school it's all a bit mad. Hope someone can help xx

Reaction score
Wow, I am at a loss for words, He's a little serial pup. Sounds like he has a little too much freedom for an immature pup who isn't ready for it. Yup, crate him for sure and baby gates to rooms he can't be watched in. You poor poor woman, I feel your pain and 5 kids to boot? I won't school you on how to rise children because you're obviously experienced but I do always tell people to raise that pup like you did your children. Eating poo they say is kinda normal and lots of dogs do it. Make sure you pick it up as soon as you can and if you're not feeding a good grain-free kibble get one to make sure it's not due to a diet deficiency. You and Winston hang in there :yes:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you taken him to the vet to make sure there is no underlying issue since he is pooping so much and it is runny and he is doing it standing up? Maybe there is something else going on and it is out of his control. Just a thought...

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
Have you taken him to the vet to make sure there is no underlying issue since he is pooping so much and it is runny and he is doing it standing up? Maybe there is something else going on and it is out of his control. Just a thought...

Hiya :) It's Winston with runny bum which we are sorting out however even with runny bum he's never done it in the house :) Hugo poo's are firm apparently he just likes to show the off to all and sundry before eating them, lol

Took them out this afternoon nice brisk walk (no wee's or poo's) along the promenade then car ride to collect raw food for week and took them through car wash which they love. Back in house literally 2 minutes as I'm sorting kids out and taking Winstons harness off he's wee'd in the back room and poo'd in the front room. Going to put small crate by front door so can sort kids and Winston coming in and out coats, etc while he's in there and larger crate tonight for sleeping in!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to go back to potty training 101 with Hugo, and use the crate in between. He needs to get on a regular schedule. Winston's runs could be caused from stress Hugo's potty manners is creating. Good luck and remember baby steps with Hugo, he's a hard one but he will learn to potty outside.

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to go back to potty training 101 with Hugo, and use the crate in between. He needs to get on a regular schedule. Winston's runs could be caused from stress Hugo's potty manners is creating. Good luck and remember baby steps with Hugo, he's a hard one but he will learn to potty outside.
I agree. It's like potty training a kid, we all know they won't be wetting their pants at their wedding so just be patient, it will happen for Hugo.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Alice..... back to basics and get him on a tight schedule and LOTS of praise when he potty when/where you want him to

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score

I never thought of that but that could be it with Winston because he's been checked over by the vet and he said there isn't anything physically wrong with him temp, heart etc was all fine. Last night we took Hugo out every 30 mins to the yard until bed time and he didn't like it one little bit (lashing rain and wind). I put light training lead on him when he was in living room with us so he couldn't sneak off out the room or the back of the sofa etc. I put one puppy pad down by the back door and taped it down with masking tape and when I came down this morning he had pooped on that and not ripped it up or eaten it so that was better :)

Hubby is home at 2pm today :) and it's Friday so we are setting up the crate in the kitchen tonight and Hugo is going in that tonight. I have bought them a new football, larger stag bar and 2 stuffed hooves from the raw shop for chewing purposes and new play. I also bought some new treats as they went bonkers for them in the shop yesterday .........dried whole whitebait using these solely for toileting treats!! Fingers crossed going to be tiring weekend getting up twice in the night for toileting but hopefully Hugo will get the message he should he's not dosy just lazy and likes being in his bed too much!!!!! Hopefully he will realise hemight as just well get on with it outside and then Mummy won't bother him to get out of his snuggly bed with Winston in the night!!

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
Little update :) We seem to be going in the right direction and the weekend went quite well. Winston is back to normal thank goodness, just need to put tiny bit more weight back on to back get to his 12.2kg (he went down to 11.7kg with the runs). Hugo is quite a handful, actually he's quite naughty :evil: but very cute and loving. Found some tooth wipes in the pet shop so on the odd occasion he has eaten poo over the weekend a swift wipe with these has freshened him up so the kids & I don't mind him licking faces etc!

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
Thank you :) came down this morning and all good no accidents, that's 2 mornings in a row :yes:

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
YES YES YES! came down this morning no accidents he went straight out into yard for a wee. Early morning car ride to drop hubby at train station came back and fed them. As I was writing previous post Hugo gave a little bark from the kitchen and he was waiting by the back door!!!!!! He's just gone out to do poop :excited: First time he's indicated he wants to go outside (to toilet anyway). He LOVES the dried whitebait treats, very keen to try and get one. They both love them they sit and stare at the treat jar, lol

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
Still going well :) one or two odd accidents (and only one of poo eating). Winston is nearly back up to his full weight and Hugo is weighing 7.2kg. Went shopping today to buy them a durable football because they love playing that in or outdoors and I ended up coming home with a few more toys. The raw shop sold me frozen stuffed hooves and these have proved really good for reward or distracting along with the dried whitebait. Hugo's character is coming out now in full force, quite skittish, cheeky but adorable. Winston keeps him in check though :)

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
WOOHOO!!! great news, I'm so happy things are getting better and they are learning. Keep up the good work.