Fad or "rare" color Frenchies

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
OK folks, I found an excellent article on Fad or Rare color Frenchies form the French Bulldog Club of America. I know someone had a question awhile back about this. Here is the link to the article. I hope it helps to clear this up and answer anyone's questions.

http://frenchbulldogclub.org/no-fad-colors

Last edited:

winginit66

Reaction score
I had seen that one a while back when researching. Thanks for sharing!

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I just want to make sure I wasnt misunderstood. I did not say I support rare colouring breeding, nor will I ever breed just for colours. Maples father is from the hungarian shark line,so she MIGHT have some grey coloured offspring. I will not breed specifically for the grey,but if there are some grey puppies I will be just as happy about them as I would be about fawn or pies.
I just think its odd,that you can still register a dog with the CKC( I dont know about AKC) even though he or she does not meet the "breed standard".
I do not regret buying Maple,both parents (sire grey, dam brindle) are happy,healthy,well temperamented dogs!

I personally think its only a matter of time until HEALTHY greys become part of the "breed standard".
Its the same with the Fjord Horses. For centuries only brown duns were allowed,different coloured Fjords were killed instantly,since they were supposed to be weak and sick. When you look at the breed nowadays you will find that brown ,grey,red,white and yellow duns are allowed to get registered as breeding stock. Infact the less common the colour,the more valueble and expensive the Fjord.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION] OK I apologize if you thought I was directing this article to you, I was not. I have had several people ask about what colors were AKC approved and ask about the "rare" colors also. This was for information only. Things do change from time to time and one day the blues might be recognized, you never know. That being said, I and the other breeders I know do not believe in breeding the "rare" colors or the black (especially in English Bulldogs). You can still register these with AKC but can not show them, or they are undesirable in the show ring. In Frenchies, the black must have some brindle in it to be allowed in the show ring. The main reason AKC, CKC, and most of us do not want people to breed the black, is black is a dominate color and we feel that one of these years if this continues, there will only be black bullies.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Im sorry davidh! I thought I was misunderstood in my last thread , I just wanted to make sure you guys dont think Im one of these crazy 'money money' people/breeders. :p I am glad thats not what you think.
What you said about the dominant colour actually makes sense. The frenchy breed should definitely keep the colour variety. And now that Im thinking about it,imagine what would happen if the majority of frenchies was black? People might then use unhealthy standard coloured Frenchies to keep these colours alive,regardless of the health, because the breeding stock for those would be so small,that "every Frenchy counts".

Interesting article though ;)

Fred

Reaction score
As people can see in my pictures I have a blue French bulldog and I got him for his amazing personality. I love all frenchies the same. I don't care if they are blue, black, cream etc. I didn't buy him to be in the show ring. I didn't buy him to be different. I bought him because I felt he had the personality I was looking for in a dog. Hes truly my buddy. I think its silly that they have to put regulation on everything in life. To me that's like saying you can't have a mixed child. How can people tell people what to do if its not hurting anyone. Its crazy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
As people can see in my pictures I have a blue French bulldog and I got him for his amazing personality. I love all frenchies the same. I don't care if they are blue, black, cream etc. I didn't buy him to be in the show ring. I didn't buy him to be different. I bought him because I felt he had the personality I was looking for in a dog. Hes truly my buddy. I think its silly that they have to put regulation on everything in life. To me that's like saying you can't have a mixed child. How can people tell people what to do if its not hurting anyone. Its crazy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

And Fred, your frenchie IS beautiful! No doubt about it. I think the idea here is to not support bad breeding, as many also buy from pet shops and do not realize they are supporting puppy mills. It does not make their baby any less wonderful! If you are comfortable with your breeder and happy with the outcome, that is what counts.

What many people who are in the search to get their first pup (of any breed) do not realize is how many importers, puppy mills, and bad breeders there is out there. Educating about these places is very important. Many rare and fad color breeders breed specifically for the huge price tag, with not a care in the world about health, temperment and conformation. But many who do not breed rare colors do that too. It is about knowing your breeder, knowing that their sires and dams are healthy, to reduce the chances of any health issues.

Here is an article about getting a frenchie puppy, where we hope to continue to educate future puppy families:
http://frenchbulldognews.com/content.php/16-French-Bulldog-Puppy-Buying-Tips

winginit66

Reaction score
[MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION] - I think you hit the nail on the head with this sentence:

I just think its odd,that you can still register a dog with the CKC( I dont know about AKC) even though he or she does not meet the "breed standard".

That is what I found so confusing... and somewhat contradictory if the major organizations want to promote the breed standard. I mean, why have a breed standard if a solid black Frenchie can be registered???

btw - I am thinking of taking Olivia to some local shows, just for fun... I may PM you for your take on showing.... how did you prepare, how did you find out about the events, etc.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
[MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION] - I think you hit the nail on the head with this sentence:

That is what I found so confusing... and somewhat contradictory if the major organizations want to promote the breed standard. I mean, why have a breed standard if a solid black Frenchie can be registered???

btw - I am thinking of taking Olivia to some local shows, just for fun... I may PM you for your take on showing.... how did you prepare, how did you find out about the events, etc.

It really is confusing ,isnt it?

I think davidh is probably more experienced and knowledgable in showing . We're still noobs :p Just had our first show and just registered Maple for her next show in March. But of course you can pm me anytime. The show experience has been great and lots of fun so far! We have already met a lot of nice people that also like sharing their experience and giving tips. I was a little concerned that especially owners with other French Bulldog treat you like "enemy" rather than give you tips and explain everything but this is not the case at all. All very friendly & helpful. Of course there are show people out there that are a litte..lets say they REALLY like their dog & are convinced "its the real deal"...and kinda smile at you as a noob ,but hey you will find that in any competition no matter the sport ;)
Theres a great site called canuckdogs but I think its only for Canada. But thats were I find all the event dates. David probably knows a similar site like this for the US :)
Cheers!