Shock Collar

G

Gina

Has anyone had success with using this method for bad behavior with a French Bulldog ? I have always thought it to be cruel, but I am having a hard time with biting chewing furniture and also jumping on me and biting my back for attention. I have tried EVERYTHING. I understand she wants to play, but she can't have her way ALL the time.

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
I haven't used a shock collar and personally I never would. I hope someone else can help? Maybe a soft muzzle would be a kinder suggestion than a shock collar?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with [MENTION=290]kitkatmummy25[/MENTION]. I would never use a shock collar either. Have you tried obedience training? Maybe she has energy she needs to burn off and that is why she is so hyper?

purpledoggy

Reaction score
I used an anti bark collar on my staffy and immediately regretted it. I wouldn't use another one on any dog personally. I would look into a good trainer to help with your issue. It's been wonderful for me. My staffy is such a more balanced well behaved dog because of it. Hotchkiss will be starting with the same trainer once he heals up from his little couch spill.

G

Gina

THANKS ! I've always thought it to be a cruel method and the dogs I've had in the past (Poodles) always listened and were easily trained. I have to say this is the most stubborn dog I have owned. I love her to death ! She knows what "NO" means, but she just doesn't care. She actually sasses back when I say the word "NO" . . . . I've read every book - talked to trainers as I have a friend that is a trainer. I have tried EVERYTHING. Oh well - I'll keep trying.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I would not use a shock collar either, but I have heard there are collars that vibrate that are effective in training.

pbois

Reaction score
The electric collar is the standard tool used in the retriever world. All of our Labradors are collar conditioned and in my opinion it is the most efficient and humane tool out there for correction at long distances in the field. Having said that it is not something you just slap on your dog and start pushing buttons. There are fundamentals that the handler needs to know in order to use it properly and effectively and it is used more as a reinforcement of known commands, not as a punishment for bad behavior. In essence......it's not a remote control so for the problems you are having I would not recommend one.

What advice have the trainers you have talked to given you? Sounds like a good foundation of basic obedience and a little more exercise is in order. :)

trishkidd24

Reaction score
I do not agree with electric collars for behavioral training purposes. I have seen them used effectively with hunting dogs such as [MENTION=272]pbois[/MENTION] mentioned, but I have also seen too many people abuse this training method and use it as a lazy form of controlling their dog. I have an uncle that had a new happy little puppy, he started using the "remote control" training collar to control the dog and "train" her... Now the dog is anxious, has fear aggression, and has bit 2 strange men for no apparent reason. In my opinion he ruined a dog that was an innocent puppy by this remote control training.

With all that being said, I am the owner of an underground Invisible Fence. We have collars for our Golden mix and Pit mix. We haven't gotten Marg a collar because seems to stay right in our yard with our boys. Our underground fence is for a whole two acres of our yard so the dogs have plenty of room to run and play within the boundaries. Our big dogs love to play in the yard, and now they can do so without being tied up like before we got the fence. Marg follows them around and stays really close so I don't foresee us having to get her a collar too.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=445]Gina[/MENTION]. I have used it on my EB as well as when I worked at a dog training/daycare facility. As was stated by another member, they are greatly effected and YOU will need training with it just as much if not more should you choose to go that route.

I will be 100% honest, if it were not for the collar my girl may have ended up being I a very bad place, she is now 8 yrs old, a bitch on wheels , but very well trained and obeys commands; however the collar is gone and if we do 'need' it all we do is place it on her, but never have to actually activate it as she knows why it is there. It was a VERY long road with Banks, lots of training, patience and time... I think a full year before I was able to accept the shock collar was needed for her and me. I cried when I bought it and again when we were first using it.

Think hard about it and consult with a professional trainer. I am thinking you just have an alpha that YOU need to show who is boss.

Have you read the 'nothing in life is free' technique that is in the training section T the top.... Give that a try, it might work wonders for you

Willowrun

Reaction score
Have you implemented Ceasar Milan methods? Sounds very dominant and full of energy!, Know it's not funny but the picture of the dog jumping up to your back to grab you and get your attention made me laugh! They are so small but mighty aren't they....not many people believe how athletic they are!

G

Gina

Terri,

Everyone I tell this to also thinks it's funny. She jumps so high and bites my butt ! ! OMG - she rules me. I also think people are getting the impression that I 'want' to use a shock collar which is so far from the truth. I was just wondering if anyone had any success or if it was even something French Bulldog owners 'ever' used.

She is a white pied adorable ALPHA ! ! ! She talks back as in ruuuuuuuuuuuuff when I say 'NO' . . . The word means nothing to her ! I am pleased to say she is 100 percent potty trained at 8 months. She will also sit and stay which she learned right away ! ! ! !

When she wants attention she will jump on my back and bite my butt OR she will go to the leather furniture and scratch or chew it. Of course she gets my attention and then we play. Problem is SHE is getting what she wants from her bad behavior. I cannot just 'ignore' her damaging my things . . . . ALSO at that point I cannot catch her to put her in the crate. THEY ARE MUCH FASTER THAN I THOUGHT, TOO ! ! ! Holy Crap ! She makes me laugh and smile every day and I adore and love her, BUT SHE IS ALSO VERY FRUSTRATING ! ! ! ;)

I've talked to trainers - I've did it all. I know she is not getting the necessary exercise right now as I live in MN. It is SUPER cold this winter with highs still below zero . . . . . . . .

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Terri,

Everyone I tell this to also thinks it's funny. She jumps so high and bites my butt ! ! OMG - she rules me. I also think people are getting the impression that I 'want' to use a shock collar which is so far from the truth. I was just wondering if anyone had any success or if it was even something French Bulldog owners 'ever' used.

She is a white pied adorable ALPHA ! ! ! She talks back as in ruuuuuuuuuuuuff when I say 'NO' . . . The word means nothing to her ! I am pleased to say she is 100 percent potty trained at 8 months. She will also sit and stay which she learned right away ! ! ! !

When she wants attention she will jump on my back and bite my butt OR she will go to the leather furniture and scratch or chew it. Of course she gets my attention and then we play. Problem is SHE is getting what she wants from her bad behavior. I cannot just 'ignore' her damaging my things . . . . ALSO at that point I cannot catch her to put her in the crate. THEY ARE MUCH FASTER THAN I THOUGHT, TOO ! ! ! Holy Crap ! She makes me laugh and smile every day and I adore and love her, BUT SHE IS ALSO VERY FRUSTRATING ! ! ! ;)

I've talked to trainers - I've did it all. I know she is not getting the necessary exercise right now as I live in MN. It is SUPER cold this winter with highs still below zero . . . . . . . .

Have you read the 'nothing in life is free' technique that is in the training section at the top.... Give that a try, it might work wonders for you

G

Gina

I sure have read it and there was nothing in the article that was new to me. She knows nothing in life is free, but that doesn't change how she acts to get my attention . . . . . . . That is the only problem I am having with her, but in my opinion it is the worst thing other than potty training. . . . . I will keep being patient, I was just hoping there was something new to try as I've tried it all.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I sure have read it and there was nothing in the article that was new to me. She knows nothing in life is free, but that doesn't change how she acts to get my attention . . . . . . . That is the only problem I am having with her, but in my opinion it is the worst thing other than potty training. . . . . I will keep being patient, I was just hoping there was something new to try as I've tried it all.

If she knows it, then you have what I have in my female Bulldog --- 'it is her world and we just get to participate in it' :stinkeye: Banks is VERY stubborn and at 8.5 yrs old, she is still a work in progress.

Willowrun

Reaction score
Gee whiz......she needs to go to a doggie gym for the winter! Can you get a treadmill? Can you get a play group together....but right off the bat, stop playing with her when she grabs you or something of yours. If your niece walked up to you and slapped you in the face and screamed lets go play,would you? And quit talking.......no no no noon no no no quit it quitit quit it is a sing song babble to her because you really don't get dominant back to her. Just crack her once or twice with a glare like another dog would.....she will get the message when you mean it then later you decide it's time to play and wrestle so that they are not associated! Good luck rehabbing miss bossy pants......be careful,you are treading on that area when many owners give them up for adoption because they escalate their behavior and alpha ness.

Violetsmom

Reaction score
My dog Violet is very strong willed so I know what you are going through. She will be turning 1 in a few days and no longer chews furniture and will do what I say. Although if she finds things on the floor, she thinks that is fair game. The key is lots of exercise and attention. Here's what we did:
--Got her lots of chew toys. One of the best is a deer's antler. It can not be broken. Bully sticks are good, too. And zhu zhu pets are great. They make a lot of noise and run through the house, keeping her entertained.
-- Lots of exercise. I take her for a long walk once or twice a day and make sure she has some time to run. (Even at 6 months old she could easily walk 3 miles with hills.) She likes to do what I call her "rodeo" run where she runs as fast as she can in a big circle. Inside, I throw this squeaky rubber chicken and have her bring it back to me.
--As much social interaction as possible. I try to take her to the park or visiting other people as much as I can. She loves being around people and it wears her out.
--Play games with her by hiding treats. A trainer told me that 15 minutes of games equals about an hour or exercise.
--Finally, I always talk gently to her and never hit her or be rough with her. However, when she does something she knows she is not supposed to do, I shout in a very deep and loud voice "NO." Then, depending on the situation, will walk off and leave her alone in the room. Frenchies HATE being ignored. They seem much more like a child than a dog. We had pugs before Violet and I never had a battle of wills with them.
Good luck!

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
Looking for carseat thingy for my 2 frenchies and came upon a soft vibrating collar & remote (expensive) but seems to be a nicer alternative to a shock collar.

I Love Louie

Reaction score
Gina I am going through the exact same thing with Louie too...it is very stressful because I have never had a dog act this way!!!! I am a culprit of yelling No at him a lot and I feel like nothing is working so he has been getting lots of time outs in his crate!!! Let me know if you find something that works!!!! STRESSED!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kpromero

Reaction score
Wanted to bring this up again since we are in the stages of training Rosie. We lease a boarding kennel on our property next door and one of the guys trains for obedience so we are giving him a shot to help us out. Rosie for the most part would listen to us, but some days gets very stubborn also. He comes over every morning and afternoon and it has been 3 weeks now and we are seeing major improvements, but we have been also using a training collar on her the last 2 weeks. My wife and i also thought that this would be cruel to do on her since i know what they do by using them on our hunting retrievers. The one he has though is for smaller dogs and to be honest Rosie has not hollered once since we used it on her and my wife has accepted it. You have to know what you doing when using them and when to use it. I have seen some people just buy them without reading or getting knowledge and really hurt a dog. When using you can notice the dogs threshold by the way they are acting. I also rather use this when need be instead of a lot of others that use the choker collars.

dmhouston

Reaction score
I have a sassy pants dog also! I hope things get better!!! you are not alone:)