Very first dog show. Any advice?

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I entered Maple into her very first dog show in two weeks.

Since she is only 4 months old I entered her into the baby puppy class. She is the only baby puppy French Bulldog. So does this mean she automatically "wins" the breeds baby puppy class? What happens next? Does she compete against the other baby puppy of group 6 or does she compete against the other French Bulldogs(adult and senior puppy) for best in breed?
I think I read somewhere that they treat the baby puppy class differently or rather seperately so its baby puppy best in breed,then baby puppy best in group and then baby puppy best in show ? Is that correct?

When I filled out her entry form I couldnt remember her parents names and her CKC papers are still being processed so I put down sire/dam unknown. I was now able to contact the breeder and he gave me maples parents names. Should I somehow try to change that on her entry form? Do the judges prefer dogs where parents are known?

And one more last question : How long before your turn in the ring should you be there? Group 6 starts at 8:00 am so I was thinking maybe be there for 7 am?

Sorry, I am a total noob to all of this :p

P.s Could someone please remove the exclamation mark infront of my topic/question. No idea how it got there,but it wasnt my intention :p

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I tagged David for you.... He is in the show world and can give some advice.

Good luck

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Thank you guys :)

Im getting quite excited :D We're going in getting her nails trimmed tomorrow. I will clean her ears and give her a bath and of course brush her teeth the night before the show. :)
As long as she doesnt poop while Im showing her ,everything will be fine :p

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Well congrats on showing her, you will have fun. I'm not sure how CKC does their shows, I know their point system is different than ours to become a champion. CKC requires less point to become a champion than AKC does. Here the puppy class will be separate from the others. Here once they are 6 months of age they will show in a puppy class, but if they win, then they go on to compete in best of breed and then best in show. If your dog wins in any class and is the only one in the show they will get a first place ribbon, but no points. The more dogs in the ring means the more points you win if you get winners dog or winners bitch. I would get there at least an hour early, so you can get in and find your way around, plus let your pup get used to the surroundings and settle down a bit. There are a lot of dogs there and a lot of noise for your pup to get used to. The main thing is just have fun and meet some other Frenchie owners. Good luck.

Last edited:

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Thank you David for your post :)
We are very excited and I will definitely tell you guys how it went.
We just wanna have fun,if we win anything thatd be great,but we wont be disappointed if not. :)

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't wait to hear all about it! Make sure you drop in and bring pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calle Roo

Reaction score
I'm sure there was another thread floating around, but can't seem to find it. I was curious how Maple's show went and if she has competed in any additional since then.

XoXo from Quella La Roux and her mommy too!

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
The first show went very well. She did great! We went to 2 baby puppy classes but both times she was the only baby puppy in her breed. We also went to 2 more shows but then we stopped. Maple seemed to enjoy the very first show she attended but after that it didnt look like she had fun anymore. I dont want to be one of these 'Tiara mommys' that forces their child to go to pageants and the child doesnt like it whatsoever. lol. Plus to be honest I did not like the atmosphere there. Everybody seemed super snobby and 'my dog is the best! Omg you think you have a shot with this ugly thing?' I just didnt care much for that :p So we have stopped for now and started showing interest in agility so maybe this is the route we're gonna go. We will see :) Maybe down the road we will go back to conformation showing.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Tiara mommies, that's funny!

Sorry it didn't work out but I bet it was a great learning experience. Agility sounds like a fun way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schimpfy

Reaction score
Wow so proud of you two for trying it takes guts and helps with socialization your baby is Lucky to have such a parent - hope agility is more fun for both of you - keep up the great work

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION], don't let the snobs stop you. They are everywhere and the Frenchie people are the worst it seems. They looked down their noses at me too at first and they couldn't believe my Frenchie was beating theirs. They were like "who is this guy and who's Frenchie is that." Once I met a few of them and they kept seeing me, some of them finally came around and was nice. But you still have the snobbish ones, but who cares, I don't want to talk to them anyway. At most shows, I hang out with the English Bulldog people, they are a friendlier group and usually have more fun with them.