Spay Surgery this week- what to expect??

milano88

Reaction score
Hi,

My little one is have her spay surgery this week. I was hoping to get some idea of what to expect in the days to weeks after it. And of course any advice is welcome!

Thanks

KimB3384

Reaction score
Bisou was spayed about a month ago. Physically she seemed to be fine and was jumping around like her normal self (despite our trying to keep her calm) within a few days, but the cough she had for the first 2-3 days afterwards killed me. It was bad enough that I snuck her into my work office with me and kept her under my desk to make sure she was going to be okay. The vet assured me it was normal from putting the tube down her throat, and I'm not suggesting they did anything wrong at all, but seeing her struggle like that broke my heart. She also had hernia surgery at the same time, so that may have made things more complicated, I don't know. I do know that she would not eat her food, even though they told me to feed her. I gave her some peanut butter a couple of times that afternoon, which she greedily scarfed down, and then she was fine to eat the next day. I'd say that she was a little off her game for the first two days, but by day three her actions were back to normal. Oh, I do want to mention that she did seem to have a fluid lump near the incision area, which made me panic a little, but I googled it and found that that's also normal. It went away about a week later and you can't even see her scar now. I think it's probably worse for us than it is for them.

winginit66

Reaction score
Hi Jenn,

When Gidget was spayed she didn't have much interest in eating for about a day. She was a little sluggish and sleepy for about a day, then back to her normal self and it was really difficult to keep her quiet...

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about being spayed but when Jax got snipped in September, he was a little out of it and sluggish that same day but bounced right back to normal the next day. You are supposed to keep them calm and not let them run around or jump around too much for about 2 weeks but that was very hard to do. All in all, we had a pleasant experience and nothing went wrong.

KimB3384

Reaction score
All in all, we had a pleasant experience and nothing went wrong.

Yes, this^^^ is what I should have said instead of doing the internet thing and giving TMI. Hey, I'm new here. I'll get the hang of it ... eventually:blush:

Alice Kable

Reaction score
We just have boy dogs, but what [MENTION=380]KimB3384[/MENTION] said is true, it is harder on us than it is on them!

winginit66

Reaction score
Yes, this^^^ is what I should have said instead of doing the internet thing and giving TMI. Hey, I'm new here. I'll get the hang of it ... eventually:blush:

You are fine!!! It wasn't a Charles Dickens novel or anything...;)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
They bounce back in no time at all.... you will have a harder time keeping them calm till the stitches are out.

Good luck and keep us posted

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Marge was fine shortly after her surgery, maybe a day or two top? I agree the hardest thing was keeping her calm. She loves to jump up and down on furniture, so for the first week we had to stop her from doing that and lifted her up on everything.
Also one little tip! If your vet tries to get you to have her wear a cone of shame, an alternate to that is a tshirt of baby onsie :) it worked great for our Marge, it stopped her from being able to get at her stitches easily and was much more comfortable on her than a cone. Especially with her fat neck and head ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
As others have said they are usually sluggish the day after, but after that, they are back to normal. That's the hard part, keeping them quiet and not letting them jump on things for about 10 days.

milano88

Reaction score
Everything went well with her operation. And of course she work up 12 hours later feeling fine and pretty much back to normal! I'm trying to make her rest which is so hard. How did everyone do it for 10 days?? I've hid all her toys and just have a few chew toys out. She keeps staring at the door to go for walks. I feel so bad!

coolcat46

Reaction score
How did you fasten it or did u just pull it down over the stitches??? our girl Moolah goes tomorrow for spaying...:( a little nervous...

coolcat46

Reaction score
Marge was fine shortly after her surgery, maybe a day or two top? I agree the hardest thing was keeping her calm. She loves to jump up and down on furniture, so for the first week we had to stop her from doing that and lifted her up on everything.
Also one little tip! If your vet tries to get you to have her wear a cone of shame, an alternate to that is a tshirt of baby onsie :) it worked great for our Marge, it stopped her from being able to get at her stitches easily and was much more comfortable on her than a cone. Especially with her fat neck and head ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do u fasten the onesie??? our moolah goes for spaying tomorrow and Im a little nervous

trishkidd24

Reaction score
How do u fasten the onesie??? our moolah goes for spaying tomorrow and Im a little nervous

I never actually fastened it. I just let the butt part of it hang down. It was long enough that it stopped her from trying to lick or chew her stitches. I am sure Moolah will be just fine! She should be very sluggish the first night and half way back to normal the second day, then by the third you will have a hell of a time trying to keep her calm! Ha
photo.jpgunnamed.jpg

coolcat46

Reaction score
I never actually fastened it. I just let the butt part of it hang down. It was long enough that it stopped her from trying to lick or chew her stitches. I am sure Moolah will be just fine! She should be very sluggish the first night and half way back to normal the second day, then by the third you will have a hell of a time trying to keep her calm! Ha
View attachment 2692View attachment 2693
As you said Moolah slept all of yesterday. Today she seems still somewhat off but is eating.
Thanks for the onsie suggestion, she has the cone but its a soft kind, very movable but she still keeps fussing at it. I mentioned the onesie at the vets and the reply was you can try it but a lot of dogs just chew through it...so I may wait another couple days and see how she goes...

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Yeah I guess it all depends how destructive your dog is. Marge didnt fuss with it at all, but she was use to wearing shirts and stuff so she didnt bother with it.
Good luck :)

coolcat46

Reaction score
Hi,

My little one is have her spay surgery this week. I was hoping to get some idea of what to expect in the days to weeks after it. And of course any advice is welcome!

Thanks
Our Moolah was spayed on Thursday, it is now Saturday and it has been just about impossible to keep her on the quiet side. She is jumping up and down on furniture, running like crazy and no amount of tellingher to be quiet works. The only thing would be to put her in her crate to make her be quiet and I dont want to do that to her all day...any suggestions???

Calle Roo

Reaction score
I'm curious how you guys all kept the pups calm as well... Quella's spay and dew claw removal is scheduled for July 14 and she turns 6 months on July 30. I'm honestly praying that she does not go in to heat before her surgery. If Q is out of her 4x4 X-Pen by then, I might have to put her back in to keep her from being a squirmy wormy. I'm also thinking that she can spend up to an hour in her crate every few hours for a nap, which should buy me some time to keep her calm.

Does anyone has pictures of their pups spay scar (minus the lady bits)? Quella's belly is so soft and hairless and she always shows it to strangers (which is a bad habit), but I'm hoping the Dr. can somehow lessen the development of scar tissues and 'bubble' type healing, as I love rubbing her tummy.

XoXo from Quella La Roux and her mommy too!