At my wits end....

I Love Louie

Reaction score
Hello everyone I've been reading all the behavioral topics and I need some tips as well.

I have had dogs my whole life however this is our first Frenchie. Louie is 8 months almost 9 and every day he is behaving worse and worse.

His newest little antic is biting and growling mostly at my husband and sons who are adults. My husband who has not grow up with dogs and just tolerates them for my sake is getting extremely mad!!!!

This Frenchie is by far the most stubborn dog I've been around. How do I get him to listen instead of talking back??? I know he us just trying to play but he can be annoying!!! I'm also Leary about having company because he is a spaz and will bite and growl at the guests!!!

Will he grow out of this and is it bad if I put him in doggie time out for this behavior by putting him in his crate? He doesn't even respond if I get firm and holler at him. He just keeps on doing it.

HELP!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Well you need to start making him earn everything. Make him site before he gets attention. Make him site before he eats. When you take him outside, and you may have to use a leash for this. Make him sit and you go outside before he does, same thing when you come back in. It is OK to give him a time out in his crate when he is getting too excited, because he is probably getting tired and acting out, just like a tire child will. Just make it a positive thing when you put him in his crate with a treat, and not to punish. Play with him and take him for walks to work off some of the energy. He is still a pup and has plenty of it. He will eventually out grow this stage, but in the mean time make him mind you with positive reinforcement and redirection, yelling doesn't work very well. I hope this helps you.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Cathy, I feel for you. My experience has been with English Bulldogs except for Buster who is half French, half English. Bulldogs are stubborn, and are more into pleasing themselves than pleasing others. David is right, Louie needs to be put in his place. At 9 months old he is still a puppy but he should be learning it is not okay to growl and bite at people. I assume he is trying to get your husband and/or sons to play. Keep a collar/harness on him in the house so you can correct him when he needs it. Like David said, he needs to get exercise, play ball, go on walks; a tired puppy is usually better behaved. We give our dogs time out in their crates and that hasn't changed how they feel about their "houses"! Good luck with Louie!

I Love Louie

Reaction score
Great advice which I will try !!!! Anxiously awaiting warmer weather so we can take lots of walks!!

Reaction score
Hello everyone I've been reading all the behavioral topics and I need some tips as well.

I have had dogs my whole life however this is our first Frenchie. Louie is 8 months almost 9 and every day he is behaving worse and worse.

His newest little antic is biting and growling mostly at my husband and sons who are adults. My husband who has not grow up with dogs and just tolerates them for my sake is getting extremely mad!!!!

This Frenchie is by far the most stubborn dog I've been around. How do I get him to listen instead of talking back??? I know he us just trying to play but he can be annoying!!! I'm also Leary about having company because he is a spaz and will bite and growl at the guests!!!

Will he grow out of this and is it bad if I put him in doggie time out for this behavior by putting him in his crate? He doesn't even respond if I get firm and holler at him. He just keeps on doing it.

HELP!!!

My boy growls, barks and bites my husbands feet as he walks all the time. He might just get a hair up him and start his antics for no reason as my husband sits in his chair and eats or watches TV. The dog has never done it to me and he stops when I correct him. It was a real issue in the beginning with my husband. We hired a personal trainer and we use an E collar. We don't need to zap him anymore, as long as he has the collar on he won't be annoying. I was opposed to using the collar until I wore it and saw it doesn't hurt in the least. It's an annoyance to the animal and makes them listen. When my dog gets going he doesn't even hear you, it's like he's loco. That dog loves my husband too. They watch TV together at night in the chair and my husband has an AM ritual of petting and playing with him that the dog really enjoys. We have no idea why he gets crazy but it had to be stopped because he would jump up and tear the skin on my husbands arms and hands and he would bleed all over and take weeks to heal. The skin is very thin and fragile from meds he takes. I read a lot of Bios on rescue pups and often see where many were relinquished due to aggression problems so we're not alone. They are by far the most stubborn breed I have ever owned as well. We had hope that neutering him would cure all this but it didn't seem to help at all. They just need to know who the alpha male in the house is and roll with it. Good luck. I can empathize because we still deal with this. :yes:

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He knows he owns you right now.... get back to basics and EVERYONE in the house has too follow the same training you are using. Did you read the 'Nothing in Life is Free'? Also, as someone else recommended... keep him leashed and se it to correct as necessary... he does not get or do anything unless you let him.

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
We had to go back to basics a few weeks ago and I put Hugo on a long lead around the house and out in the yard. Crated him for short periods etc. He is much better now and I feel less drained. Good Luck

I Love Louie

Reaction score
I'm feeling drained as well!! Glad to know I'm not alone. Louie has been having frequent time outs. I will try the lead when we do have company.

The funny thing is when Louie and I are home alone at night he's an angel. When everyone else is home he is a beast and acts up!!!! Tonight at dinner he bit my sons girlfriends foot from under the table.

Murphy

Reaction score
I don't know what to say. Mine are over friendly. They show my lack of control anytime someone walks in. They are a great friend litmus test. I would love to hear ways on how to rear a Frenchie. They are more strong willed than I. And, that's a lot. I want another. But, worry it will be naughty too.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I have the same issue with Ollie. He has figured out who he can play with and annoy and who he can't. He does not bite or nip at my feet or legs or my daughers, but he does it to the boys in the house who play with him all the time. The boys don't correct the behavior and therefore they just complain about it to me and I end up stepping in with a loud verbal connection of NO and Ollie stops. But I have taugh Ollie who is alpha. My daughter works for a doggie daycare and knows how to handle dogs as well and Ollie knows it. My best advise is to correct the behavior each and every time you see it. Ollie likes to bit hands and feet. I have told everyone in the house NO PLAYING WITH HANDS. If you want to play with the puppy you give him a toy to put in his mouth and play with him that way. Or you throw the toy for him to tire him out. Ollie had a bad habit of scratching at my husbands arms at night to try and get him to play. I had to correct an change that too. Puppies are like little kids they will test the waters to see what they can get away with and what they can't. You have to put them in their place and I agree with the other posters. You need to make them work for everything. Food, treats, love, everything so they learn it's your world and you control what happens not them. Good luck.