Isnt gaining Weight

ParisRoger

Reaction score
My 5montj old Frenchie pup Roger. Isnt putting weight on. One day he looks chunky and lovely the next day he looks like he has not eating in days (Help)

Sent from my GT-S6500 using Tapatalk 2

winginit66

Reaction score
And how many times x day are you feeding him? I feed ours 2 x a day. Dry only in am and a mix of home cooked and dry in pm.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
A 5 month old pup should be fed 3 times a day. If his poop is firm increase his food. If his poop gets soft or runny cut back just a bit. I don't know what food you are feeding, but a high quality food is always advisable.

ParisRoger

Reaction score
Thank guys i cant remember what he weighs. I am going the vets tomorrow for another Weigh in. Rogers diet is fresh Chicken,Chicken Livers, Lamb, white fish, Tuna, Sardines, eggs, all Veggies, all Fruit, goat cheese and natuarl yougurt x
I feed him 3 times a Day. He was on Kibbels but he get throwing them back up so we started feeding him this diet and hes been ok but some days he looks real skinny towards his back end x
Sent from my GT-S6500 using Tapatalk 2

gmarti20

Reaction score
A 5 month old pup should be fed 3 times a day. If his poop is firm increase his food. If his poop gets soft or runny cut back just a bit. I don't know what food you are feeding, but a high quality food is always advisable.

David, our vet also recommended 3 times a day for our pupp. At what age do you transition to 2 times a day?

Last edited:
Reaction score
3-5 months 3Xs per day after that 2Xs pr day. Some people feed once a day after 1 year but I personally think it's better to keep to the suggested per day on your food bag and divide it over two servings. I don't know if my theory holds but once per day eating is bad for a human and leads to being over weight and can cause diabetes so to me it makes sense it would do it to an animal too.

Last edited:

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=337]gmarti20[/MENTION] you can switch to twice a day around 7 months of age.