Trainer

I Love Louie

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much an obedience trainer would cost? We are having alot of trouble with Louie and I am getting a little stressed. Everyone will try and relax after a long day and he is constantly biting feet and hands and we have been trying every technique out there and nothing seems to work. I have been putting him in many time outs and it doesn't phase him.

Also my sons girlfriend brought her little 3 year old brother over and Louie just wanted to jump on him constantly. She had to hold him and I ended up crating louie because the boy was scared.

I have had many dogs in my life and none as bad as him. What am I doing wrong????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Well first off he is still a pup and full of energy. When you get home if it's not too hot out take him for a walk and then play with him for awhile to help tire him out some. Pups will be pups and they like to play, especially when they have been by themselves all day long. You can also try the coins in the soda can to redirect him when he wants to bit. But he needs plenty of attention and play time until he gets older. I do not know how much a trainer will cost as I have never used one, so sorry I am of no help there.

pbois

Reaction score
Hard to say what a trainer might cost in your area. My advice would be to find a highly recommended in-home trainer that would come to your house, assess his behavior, and then give you the appropriate knowledge/tools that would make him a successful member of your family. I know it's all easier said than done........but I agree with David that he really just sounds like an energetic guy that seems to think he can do what he wants.

Keep your head up.......I'm sure things will get better.

winginit66

Reaction score
I hear you! Gidget doesn't do the nipping stuff but she is like a projectile dog when we get home. Just launches herself at us. Same when other people come over. I am going to enroll her in an obedience class ( even have the form already filled out) to try and learn some tips to stop her from doing this. I also think she would be fantastic at agility stuff, but would need to respond to commands, so I have another goal too.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
A tired pup is a good pup... Walks, play time and a puppy class at a local Petsmart or Petco can help get you started. Also try a firm no with water in a spray bottle ... Squirt in face whenever it is un wanted behavior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I agree with everyone, you have to tire Louie out. He needs attention and play time. Buster LOVES soccer. If Louie is an only dog he would benefit from going to day care to play with other dogs, too. If you get a trainer make sure the trainer knows Bulldogs!

ParisRoger

Reaction score
I found taking Roger on two hour a walks a day tires him as he was very hypo. He would bark bite chew. Now he his much calmer and relaxed hes still a happy playful puppy. I think you need to know your frenchie in order to know how to calm him. I think also you need alot of time for these babies to
Sent from my GT-S6500 using Tapatalk 2

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax was the same way when we first got him - constantly biting our feet and bottom of our pants and was super hyper. I sprayed my feet and pants with apple bitter spray and it helped with the biting. I agree with everyone else about tiring them out. Jax would have all his energy at night so now we play hard with him and, when not raining or freezing cold, take him for walks after dinner so he can get some of that energy out. As he has gotten older, he usually sticks to his 6 - 7 pm bedtime and will sleep through the night.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
AS a trainer I will tell you that everyone here is correct. A tired dog is a good dog. Ollie loves to bite and nip at feet and clothes when he's in a playful mood. My tone of voice and a sharp NO corrects the behavior. Sometimes if he's being the bully he loves to be and continues a quick swat on the behind will set him straight. The trick is not to let him see you do it. I swat and tell use a sharp NO at the same time and it stops the behavior. In the months I have had Ollie I have only swatted him a handful of times but he has quickly learned that when mommy says no she means it. This breed is stubborn. Get yourself into a training class to establish the pecking order so he knows you are alpha. That will help a lot. We love our frenchies and spoil them rotten and sometimes it's gives them the idea they rule the roost which makes it difficult to correct behavior. If you can set his mind straight that you are alpha and what you say goes life will be much easier for everyone. Good luck.

I Love Louie

Reaction score
Thanks everyone we are working on it at home!! Everyone has great advice and I'm trying but Louie is by far the most stubborn dog I've ever had!!! I'm praying for him to grow out of this behavior. We are having some financial troubles so I'm not even sure if a trainer is an option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk