Cheli is getting surgery on Tuesday 5/28

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
well, we knew it was coming.... Cheli will be going in on Tuesday morning for evaluation on his palate and nares. Little guy has lots of apnea issues which cause him and I to not sleep well at all.

He will get a small dose of anesthesia for the initial eval to determine what needs to actually be done, then our vet will call us to discuss before doing any procedure.

Cheli at JoJo's 002.jpg

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
So scary, but he will be so much better once he's had it done. If it's giving him sleep apnea then there really is no other choice. :support:

Linwhite

Reaction score
Good luck. Keep telling yourself he'll be so much better off after the surgery. Oh, also, think about having his hips x-rayed and checked while he's under. I did that when Big Zam got neutered just so I'd know what the future might hold and take any preventative measures to minimize potential problems.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh you have been waiting for this I know you must be so anxious now that the time is coming. Wishing for good news that he won't need too much done.

Great idea [MENTION=19]Linwhite[/MENTION] too

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

mcraven2

Reaction score
Good luck Cheli! And good luck to you too Christine, I know how much we all worry about our babies when they are in surgery! Hugs to both of you!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks gang... scary as all heck, but nothing like when he stops breathing at night - that scares the crap out of me every night.
My vet was actually showing me a video on his iPhone of a palate reduction he did on a Bulldog last week... cool, but, yeah I really did not need a visual of what my little guy is going to have done. LOVE the heck out of my vet... he is always so passionate about what he does, but really, do I need to see it :fainting:

Last edited:

Linwhite

Reaction score
So scary, but he will be so much better once he's had it done. If it's giving him sleep apnea then there really is no other choice. :support:

I wonder if either of those surgeries would help people with sleep apnea? LOL

Alice Kable

Reaction score
[MENTION=19]Linwhite[/MENTION] not really because the pallet grows back; dogs don't live long enough for that to be a problem.

Christine, talk to Cheli's vet about using laser for the surgery as it will be much easier on Cheli. Also, if a lot of tissue needs to be removed, really watch for swelling.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=19]Linwhite[/MENTION] not really because the pallet grows back; dogs don't live long enough for that to be a problem.

Christine, talk to Cheli's vet about using laser for the surgery as it will be much easier on Cheli. Also, if a lot of tissue needs to be removed, really watch for swelling.

We did discuss laser and swelling.... he is going to give us options on Tuesday before he actually does anything, Joe has always said, from the day he gave us Cheli... 'he is a palate candidate, but I do not even want to look at it till he is at least 2 yrs old' Here we are ... 2 yrs and 2 months -- the apnea is so bad, especially now that it is getting hot - he totally stops breathing when sleeping. Joe still thinks it may be minor reduction, but well tell us on Tuesday.

We did have this done with Nitschke when he was almost 3 yrs old, but with Cheli being so tiny - it is just stressful

Thanks to all... I will post the status on Tuesday night

Sherry

Reaction score
I think you're doing the best thing for him, it should make him so much healthier. Scary though , I know ((((hugs))))

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking of you and Chelios today :heart:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)