Frenchie puppy drinking lots of water!

Carlosthefrenchie

Reaction score
My 5 month old frenchie seems to be drinking lots of water. I'm not really sure how much is too much? He is super happy and healthy and playing and eating. But peeing a lot because of drinking so much. I had to regulate it... Is this typical? He seems obsessed.

Sherry

Reaction score
How much is too much? you could measure the amount you put in the bowl.
my opinion is to make an appointment with the vet, it could be an underlying issue, kidneys, bladder, diabetes, a multitude of things, I'm not saying it's any of those but I would ask the vet to do a blood test. Please keep us posted

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
If he is playing a lot this is normal. I would not restrict water from him. He is a growing pup and needs his water. If he is not playing a lot then he may have a problem that your vet needs to see. But they will drink a lot when playing.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not restrict the water intake, but if you feel something is not right then I would have your vet check him. Go with your gut. Restricting water could cause problems or increase problems if there is a reason he is drinking more than usual. Please let us know what you find out if you see your vet, hopefully it's nothing but a happy pup playing too much :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli is a big drinker too, but only after play or when he first gets up from a long nap..... I agree with the others, do not restrict and get your vet to run some tests to check for any issues.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster is half Frenchie and half OEB (breeder mistake) and he drinks lots of water, too. He plays constantly, either with his 6&1/2 year old EB brother or with toys by himself. He gets the zoomies and races around with toy(s) in mouth. Yeah, he pees a lot too!

MamaAndi

Reaction score
Stella is always hitting up the water bowl too. Unfortunately she has a teeny tiny bladder though so it means more trips outside too. Lol

Not sure whereabouts you live but we are rapidly approaching that time of year when it's warm and those little frenchies heat up quick, so I'm sure the thirst will increase for that reason also.

Carlosthefrenchie

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. We went to the vet tomorrow and I measuring the water intake for the next 24 hours. His urine sample will be back tomorrow & if its all good but he is drinking more than he should be we will do blood work. I'm sure it's all good, just a new Mom :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. We went to the vet tomorrow and I measuring the water intake for the next 24 hours. His urine sample will be back tomorrow & if its all good but he is drinking more than he should be we will do blood work. I'm sure it's all good, just a new Mom :)

Please keep us posted on your little man

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score

Let us know what you find out :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)