What does your Frenchie think of cats and other small creatures

Linwhite

Reaction score
Zeva wants to play with the cats and opossums she finds, I think. Mostly she just gets as close to them as she can and barks and barks and barks..... even in the house. The other 2 dogs don't much care. Zamboni (EB) wants to sniff them and Zoltan pretty much ignores them. :catluv:

mcraven2

Reaction score
Funny you should ask this, Diva loves chasing squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks....pretty much anything that will run away from her. And just the other day she was chasing a squirrel on our walk in the woods and the squirrel stopped, Diva had now idea what to do because she has never caught up to them so she literally turned around and ran back towards me, I think she was terrified! hhhahahha I was dying laughing because I always wondered what she would do if she caught up to a squirrel! All bark no bite :)

Linwhite

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I rarely see squirrels in our yard. I think it must be the cats keeping them away. There's no shortage of them around town. Occasionally a dumb young Opossum wanders into the yard though and when the box turtle are migrating, we sometimes get one stuck at the fence giving Zeva something new and different to bark at. I just pick them up and carry them around the fenced part of the yard so they can proceed on their hunt of turtle love.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
FOOD!!!!

Cheli has a high prey drive and if it moves, it is food

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
No cats in our house, and Hazel is the smallest thing in our house besides the two new pups, who she hasn't seen yet. She does like to chase after a bird if she sees one, and loves to chase June Bugs too.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's a prey drive and not a play drive? does Cheli try to hurt the animals or just chase them?

It is prey... he does not look to play, no body language to tell me he is curious or playing. It is all about getting to what moved.. he moves in very slowly and investigates then BOUNCE and try to swallow

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess, No cats for you then.

correct however, I just remembered -- I had him at my sisters house once, she has two cats. They stayed away and up on window sills. He sat and stared at them until they made their way upstairs then I blocked the steps from hom

Sherry

Reaction score
Peggy waddles her round body to the fence and barks in the bunnies faces, they couldn't care less. LOL either they feel safe because she's on the other side of the fence, or they know she'd never be able to catch them. they just keep on munchin on the grass :blush3:

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster chases anything that runs, and our scaredy cat runs from him. When he catches her, he pins her and sniffs her and walks away! If the cat would stand up to him and swat him with her claws out a couple of times he would learn not to chase her.

Linwhite

Reaction score
Buster chases anything that runs, and our scaredy cat runs from him. When he catches her, he pins her and sniffs her and walks away! If the cat would stand up to him and swat him with her claws out a couple of times he would learn not to chase her.

When Zelda (RIP) would catch one of the cats she'd sit on it and lick it. Needless to say those 2 cats are quite ho hum about the dogs.

Chester

Reaction score
Mr. Chester and I walked everyday on the causeway; at the end of It, Panama is building a great Museum.
The new Museo de la Biodiversidad. It is gorgeous Museum design by the famous Canadian architect Gerry.
In the area there are lots of cats because the workers feed them. Mr. Chester loves to run them from the area although this can be a dangerous play.
If the cat does not moves Mr. Chester just pass by, but if the cat decides to run Mr. Chester goes crazy after them.
Some of the cats just stand up curling their backs and ready to slap Mr. Chester´s face. Because of its eyes I just do not allow it
and put the leach on just before we encounter the cats every morning.
On the other hand he chases birds, squirrels or anything that moves.
It is lovely to see how fast he can run and how much he enjoys it. Plus this is a great exercise for him.