Lola's surgery went well!

Reaction score
On the evening 5/29/13 I gave Lola a dental chew treat then fed her for the evening. She began to vomit that night and then when I offered her food the next day she ate then vomited it back up within 15 minutes but she will still drink water normally. So off to her vet we went. After examining her she didn't seem to have any virus or be in any pain at the time, great I thought! He decided to do an abdominal xray just to be safe. Fifteen minutes later he took me back to see the xray. The dental chew treat was not digested properly and was partially blocking food from moving into her small intestines. He feels that surgery was the best option since he doesn't think that stomach acid is going to dissolve it good enough. Her first dental treat & her last. The surgery will cost about $1500 and we need to raise the money for my baby!! Everything went well with her surgery and she got to come home today!! I missed her overnight. The vet said that the chew caused so bruising and scratching in her stomach, but all will heal well! The chew obstructing food, but not water, from moving into the small intestines. She has to take meds, eat only very wet dog food (Hill's a/d with water added) and be on strict cage rest for the next 14 days :(.

Sherry

Reaction score
Poor little girl, she'll be better in no time , give her a gentle hug from me and my pack

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
So happy she is better, and you took her to the vet when you did. That is a scary thing when our babies dont feel well and when they have to have surgery. We only give ours nylabones, or Kongs to chew on. No dental chews, greenies, raw hides, or pigs ears. We just don't want to take the chance.
Have you looked into Credit Care? There are others too, just do a search on the Internet, for financial aid for vet bills.

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
Wow that's scary. We don't give ours dental chews for this exact reason!!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
OMG... that is beyond terrifying! so glad you knew the signs and took her in.... prayers for a speedy recovery.

Casper

Reaction score
On the evening 5/29/13 I gave Lola a dental chew treat then fed her for the evening. She began to vomit that night and then when I offered her food the next day she ate then vomited it back up within 15 minutes but she will still drink water normally. So off to her vet we went. After examining her she didn't seem to have any virus or be in any pain at the time, great I thought! He decided to do an abdominal xray just to be safe. Fifteen minutes later he took me back to see the xray. The dental chew treat was not digested properly and was partially blocking food from moving into her small intestines. He feels that surgery was the best option since he doesn't think that stomach acid is going to dissolve it good enough. Her first dental treat & her last. The surgery will cost about $1500 and we need to raise the money for my baby!! Everything went well with her surgery and she got to come home today!! I missed her overnight. The vet said that the chew caused so bruising and scratching in her stomach, but all will heal well! The chew obstructing food, but not water, from moving into the small intestines. She has to take meds, eat only very wet dog food (Hill's a/d with water added) and be on strict cage rest for the next 14 days :(.

Rhonda, have you contacted the manufacturer about this incident? If for nothing else maybe speed up research and better development for all pets who chew the Dentabones...... I mean it's worth a shot, Consumer relations, Heck put them in touch with your vet !! I mean Lola is a Furkid, had this been my Human child I'd sure been on the phone with Mattel or who ever expressing my opinions over their product and dangers.... Just my opinion for what its worth.