Film over my frenchie's eyes! help!

agukri

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm actually new to this forum but I am so glad I found it! I am a rather new french bulldog owner, I have a wonderful 8 month old baby and I love him to pieces! He is most certainly the best dog I've ever had and he's smart as whip (sometimes stubborn as a mule ;P but i guess that's just a frenchie thing).

Anyway! I have a question about my frenchie's eyes. It seems as though ever since I got him he has had a sort of thin film of clear substance over his eyes, eventually it flushes out and gives him eye boogers. it's not conjunctivitis by any means and I've heard that pugs seem to have the same issues but its normal for them? Cheddar isn't lethargic or anything and he's happy as can be. I will eventually get them checked out but I was wondering if anyone else has seen the same thing in their bulldogs? Is it serious? Is there something I can do in the mean time? Like i said, it doesn't seem to effect him physically but of course I am just a worried mommy. :eek:hmy:

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would think as long as it's clear it should be his eye's way of adding lubrication to his eye. If it turns green or yellow he should get it checked.

Next time you are at the vet you can have his eyes checked for tear production, he may be producing thicker mucus for his eyes due to dry eye, which is common in bulldog breeds.

By the way, :welcome: and Cheddar is adorable, that avatar is too cute!

agukri

Reaction score
I would think as long as it's clear it should be his eye's way of adding lubrication to his eye. If it turns green or yellow he should get it checked.

Next time you are at the vet you can have his eyes checked for tear production, he may be producing thicker mucus for his eyes due to dry eye, which is common in bulldog breeds.

By the way, :welcome: and Cheddar is adorable, that avatar is too cute!

thanks mama!!

thats a little relieving, when i brought him in for his wellness exam nothing was mentioned about any eye issues he may have and the exam covers everything physical about puppies. none the less i will have his eyes looked at within the week. couldn't hurt! :)

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks mama!!

thats a little relieving, when i brought him in for his wellness exam nothing was mentioned about any eye issues he may have and the exam covers everything physical about puppies. none the less i will have his eyes looked at within the week. couldn't hurt! :)

He could also have a tad bit of allergies, which could cause what you are describing. If you are going to your vet ask him what he thinks about that. You can give benedryl 1mg per pound two times daily. Does he have any other allergy-type symptoms?

agukri

Reaction score
He could also have a tad bit of allergies, which could cause what you are describing. If you are going to your vet ask him what he thinks about that. You can give benedryl 1mg per pound two times daily. Does he have any other allergy-type symptoms?

nope, not at all. he's perfect except for his teary eyes, but then again maybe that's the only symptom he shows. i also have 3 cats, perhaps it is a cat dander allergy? i'm not sure how common that is for doggies :cry:

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
I agree. Get his tear production tested so that you can rule out dry eye. I would say that allergies would cause watering eyes rather than a hazy film.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kristine and welcome to t=you and your sweet boy,Cheddar (great name). The gang has you cover with the tear production -- keep us posted

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Welcome Kristine and Cheddar. He is adorable and from your description a very sharp Cheddar!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Welcome to he site and Cheddar is just too cute. I would think the eye film was allergy related too, so let us know what the vet thinks.