Constant whining

francoisthefrenchie

Reaction score
Hi all,

We got Francois, our frenchie puppy, as a 16 week old puppy from a local seller, the weird thing was and it was something we didn't notice until we got him, he came from Lithuania and we live in England.

He is now 10 months old, he had all his usual troubles such as chewing and potty training, the first night we had him he cried all night but this soon stopped at nigh time at least, the second he is left alone however through the day he whines constantly.
Me and my partner both work, we spend an hour or so with him in the morning, an hour at lunch time then all night with him plus walks, the problem is when we aren't with he he just whines constantly for hours on end.

When at work one day i had decorators round, they weren't noisy so that shouldn't have upset him, but for 8 hours constantly he whined while they was round only taking stops to drink, my dad was round and vouched for this.

He also whines so much whenever I got upstairs to cook or whatever I do when I'm not with him, he has his own pen that's large enough for him with toys and his bed.

This is starting to drive us crazy now as we don't get a seconds peace unless he is right next to us, then he just wants attention as all puppies do.
We have tried feeding him a frozen kong when we leave the house to keep him entertained, if my partner does this and I stay in bed if its a day off I hear him whine for a good 30 minutes after she leaves, then he realise's nobody is in and is quiet, when he hears me get ready he will then whine straight away all the time until I go downstairs to get him out his pen, no matter how long this takes.

Does anyone have any advise, we don't know what to do now?

Thanks in advance.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Sounds to me like Francois wants a playmate. Frenchies are not loners, they need companionship. Is there a doggie day care you could take him to while you and your partner are at work? He will have fun and get worn out.

eeturk

Reaction score
I second the doggie daycare idea. If you can find a good one, they are an incredible resource. But I recommend visiting all of the ones in your area before leaving your dog there. I saw a few that looked great online but were horrible in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like Francois wants a playmate. Frenchies are not loners, they need companionship. Is there a doggie day care you could take him to while you and your partner are at work? He will have fun and get worn out.

totally agree Frenchies do not do well alone... Cheli is my shadow and has to be in the room I am in at all times

shortstuff

Reaction score
I agree with everyone else about daycare or a playmate. As far as the short term, do not give him any attention or let him out of his kennel until he is quiet. You can wait around the corner if need be to spring in with praise and attention the moment he stops. After Bisou got fixed, she was this way and would practically go into meltdown mode if I left the room. I would only come back in once she was quieted down so she didn't get the idea that her whining brought me back. She needed to realize that she only got attention if she was quiet. While you're doing your daycare research, try out this tactic and see if it helps!

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I completely agree. Frenchies definitely need companionship. Doggie daycare would be a good option and he would get nice and tired...and a tired dog is a good dog!

flamechick204

Reaction score
This sounds like sometihng im dealing with our new bulldog. We leave the radio on for him while we are out. as well as when he is in his cage at night. We also make sure he has his favorite toys and things to chew on. My frenchie follows me around, and also doesnt care to be alone. But it does take time. There are some great videos on youtube about kennel training, using treats and rewards when they are good/quiet.my husband and i tried, and after a few nights our new dog stopped his meltdowns. Its hard to deal with but when they have other things to focus on it helps.

this channel was helpful, and seemed to work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXS-mAoS8qA&index=29&list=PLAA698EB9AD9284E9

francoisthefrenchie

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses, I haven’t had internet access for the last week so only reading them all now.

I have enquired about doggy day care, I could only find one locally. They wanted £350 or in Dollars $535 per month to look after him, is that a normal rate?

Flamechick, thanks for the ideas, he always has loads of toys in with him including his favourite nylabones and antlers but isn’t interested in them for ages after we leave him, he would rather whine. Luckily he is perfect through the night, we never hear a single peep from him, I will look at the youtube video tonight and try and see if this helps.

It all seems to have come from nowhere, he was fine for so long then a month or so ago he started whining whenever left alone, since I wrote this it has got to a point im worried my neighbours will start complaining as I can hear him when im outside getting in my car.

I have even thought about getting another dog to keep him company, the thing is he is so protective when another dog comes in the house I don’t know how he would take to them. Outside at the park all he wants to do is play, when they come through the front door he gets quite aggressive, never going for them but constantly bullying them to a point the other dogs seem very nervous.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses, I haven’t had internet access for the last week so only reading them all now.

I have enquired about doggy day care, I could only find one locally. They wanted £350 or in Dollars $535 per month to look after him, is that a normal rate?

I send Jax to daycare a few times a month. After 1 day there, he will usually sleep for 2 days! I pay $32 for a full day (6 hours or more) and it's $21 for half day (under 6 hours).

FrenchieCooper

Reaction score
Hi all,

We got Francois, our frenchie puppy, as a 16 week old puppy from a local seller, the weird thing was and it was something we didn't notice until we got him, he came from Lithuania and we live in England.

He is now 10 months old, he had all his usual troubles such as chewing and potty training, the first night we had him he cried all night but this soon stopped at nigh time at least, the second he is left alone however through the day he whines constantly.
Me and my partner both work, we spend an hour or so with him in the morning, an hour at lunch time then all night with him plus walks, the problem is when we aren't with he he just whines constantly for hours on end.

When at work one day i had decorators round, they weren't noisy so that shouldn't have upset him, but for 8 hours constantly he whined while they was round only taking stops to drink, my dad was round and vouched for this.

He also whines so much whenever I got upstairs to cook or whatever I do when I'm not with him, he has his own pen that's large enough for him with toys and his bed.

This is starting to drive us crazy now as we don't get a seconds peace unless he is right next to us, then he just wants attention as all puppies do.
We have tried feeding him a frozen kong when we leave the house to keep him entertained, if my partner does this and I stay in bed if its a day off I hear him whine for a good 30 minutes after she leaves, then he realise's nobody is in and is quiet, when he hears me get ready he will then whine straight away all the time until I go downstairs to get him out his pen, no matter how long this takes.

Does anyone have any advise, we don't know what to do now?

Thanks in advance.

We got our French Bulldog Cooper last Friday July 7th. We also have a 4 year old Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Even when they are left alone, Cooper still whines every now and again. He doesn't do it everyday, but when he does, it's awful and heartbreaking when my neighbours tell me. Getting another dog might be helpful and it might not. Not all Frenchies have the same character, but they do all hate being left alone without any human being near them. I was told today to try leaving the tv or radio on whilst not at home. Will give it a go and see how it turns out

🆕 Latest posts