Having puppies!

Anna

Reaction score
Hello-I am a new member and have no idea what I am doing-sorry!
But my little Frenchie Poppet is due puppies in a week or so and again I have no idea what I am doing!!i have a Whelping box and a pen,but I am terrified of her giving birth or having to have a c section:0( any advise on ANYTHING will be greatly revived :0)
Thank you
Anna xxx

gianolrac

Reaction score
consult your vet.. most probably it should be a c section..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello-I am a new member and have no idea what I am doing-sorry!
But my little Frenchie Poppet is due puppies in a week or so and again I have no idea what I am doing!!i have a Whelping box and a pen,but I am terrified of her giving birth or having to have a c section:0( any advise on ANYTHING will be greatly revived :0)
Thank you
Anna xxx

You will need the pups to nurse every two hours fir the first 10 days. I think they need to be delivered by c section. Not sure if they are safe with mom in between feedings, they must be kept warm for first 3 weeks of life, around 80-84 degrees should be the temperature in their whelping box. I don't know much about breeding frenchies yet, only English bulldogs, but maybe [MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] can help because I think he's done some research on it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Hello and welcome. Poppet should be taken care of by your vet and get a list of instructions to follow to take care of the puppies.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Yes as [MENTION=1]bullmama[/MENTION] has said, feed every two hours for the first 10 days, after the 4th day you can go 3 hours at night. Then after 10 days you can go 4 hours. I would not keep mama in the whelping box with the pups when she is not feeding them, just to make sure she does not hurt one by mistake. Go to the French Bulldog Club of America's web site and there you will find excellent article on breeding and caring for your pups. Look under breeding a frenchie/learning about breeding/raising puppies successfully, that is an excellent article on what you need to do as far as raising and feeding your pups. Breeding pups is not an easy task and you always take a chance on loosing mama and the pups at birth. They need to be taken by C-seccion always, just like English Bulldogs do, because of the big heads of the pups and narrow hips of mama. People always think it's easy to do and easy money, but I got news for them. it's not. Good luck with your pups and we are here if you have any more questions, which I'm sure you will, as we all have had. It's a scary thing whelping pups and things can go wrong in a second, but it can be very rewarding too when they grow up to be beautiful Frenchies.I just hope you did your homework on the two you bred together as far as health, temperament and their genetics to make sure you have healthy, happy, beautiful pups.