Aspirating Frenchie!

Kelly

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and hope someone can help me. I have a Frenchie named Thibaut who is a year and a half old. He has had a problem since he was a puppy that has gradually gotten worse: he expels fluid, mucus etc, from his nose, I mean projectile! It isn't like vomiting or regurgitation; it doesn't happen at a specific time. Nor is the mucus a color that would indicate infection. As he has gotten older, he has begun aspirating, then getting pneumonia, then goes into respiratory distress. I have taken him to multiple vets. He has had his nares and soft palate repaired. His films were sent to the vet school (I'm in Alabama), and the docs there think it might be a hiatal hernia or that his pyloric sphincter isn't allowing his tummy to empty, thus pushing his stomach content up, not out. Bottom line, no one is close to a diagnosis and I am getting panicked over his condition. I have spent $4000 in the last 6 weeks, treating two bouts of pneumonia and his surgeries which we hoped would help. We have now gone from a respiratory/pulmonary problem to a potential stomach problem. I would spend my last dime on him, but at this point I am so concerned for his health and my ability to continue to have him treated. If anyone has heard of something like this, I would be grateful for any suggestions. His quality of life is pretty poor right now, and it just breaks my heart!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Oh man, so sorry to hear this. I have not experienced anything like this. So hope they can figure out what is wrong with your baby and gert him fixed. Please keep us posted and we will keep him in our prayers.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I read this three times, I am so sorry [MENTION=77]Kelly[/MENTION] for what you and Thibaut are going through. I am going to reach out on our facebook pages and sister forums to see if anyone has any ideas, advice or answers. and a great big :hug: to you both, hang in there, I am going to try to find out.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
[MENTION=77]Kelly[/MENTION] and Thibaut I am so sorry to hear about Thibaut's health problems. If you got him from a breeder please contact that breeder and inform them about Thibaut's problems. Prayers and hugs to you and your sweet Thibaut.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Good LORD.... my heart aches for you. Such stress, concern and worry over you sweet little boy. I so wish i had some insight for you but it is the first I heard of something like this. I send prayers, positive thoughts and great big HUGS.

Please keep us posted

Kelly

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I appreciate the kind words.

Kelly

Reaction score
Many Thanks. I am on close contact with his breeder.

Kelly

Reaction score
Thought I sent a reply earlier! Sorry, very new member! Thank you for your help. It helps a lot .

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
From facebook:
Sounds like a hiatal hernia ..my English bulldog pup had the same thing. .we would have to massage his belly after meals in a sit up position and also had him eat his meals and water elevated.. ..

gianolrac

Reaction score
we will pray for your dog.. i salute you for doing everything for your frenchi! God will help you in time..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelly

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm off to the vet this morning and I will show him this. I appreciate everyone's caring replies. It really helps!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm off to the vet this morning and I will show him this. I appreciate everyone's caring replies. It really helps!

Let us know how the appointment goes

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
I hope it went well .. please let us know if you can!!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score

Hi Kelly, how's your baby doing?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Chester

Reaction score
So sorry to hear this big problem, I can suggest to visit Dr. Greg's blog, he always gives good advices. Greg Martinez, DVM.
He help us with allergies and red paws, We will pray for your FB recovery

mcraven2

Reaction score
[MENTION=77]Kelly[/MENTION] any news from the vet appointment?