Excessive drooling (like water)

Lissilycke

Reaction score
Excessive drooling (watering mouth)

Hi!

I`m looking for others who may have encountered similar health problems with their frenchies, as I have no idea what is happening to my little girl, and out Vet. seems pretty lost too.

The issue:
Last January my frenchie suffered two slipped disks (? is this what it is called in english?) in her neck, but with the right medication and pain relief they both went back to normal by themselved. So no surgery needed luckily.
But, ever since this she has had a few issues with excessive drooling. It`s like a constant dripping of clear water-like saliva, yet she still acts normal; eats, drinks, plays. I thought perhaps her teeth had been damaged by the heavy pain medications so we got it checked out end ended up pulling out a bad tooth, this was 1 month ago. But it still hasn`t stopped.
Sometimes the drooling is just for a few hours, but two weeks ago it lasted for three whole days. And yesterday we went for a walk, she was all happy, jumping and running around as usual, and when we came home the drooling started again. I did not allow her to chew on anything on the walk or when we came home so... what`s happening?

My theories as of today:
- she has a gum infections from the pain meds (she is currently on antibiotics to get the evil germs away - we are 5 days in to the treatment, it should show signs of improving by now?)
- hypothyroidism?
- is it a sort of epileptic attack?

I`m getting really worried.. Please do respond if you have any theories or experience in regards to this issue!

Tgirl

Reaction score
That is indeed odd. Usually when I see drooling it's a mouth issue or nausea. Some cats will drool when you pet them or when they are nervous but that's irrelevant because you have a dog not a cat :D. I would think 5 days on the antibiotic would be enough to see improvement if that was what was wrong. You never know though some things take longer. Please keep us updated on her though. Poor baby.

Lissilycke

Reaction score
Thanks Melody! I`m still hopeful we`ll figure this out, I just feel so sorry for her as this has been going on for a while now.
Yeah, we also thought it might be nausea at first, but she did not respond to the drugs our vet. gave us to prevent nausea...

Still crossing all my fingers and toes that someone in here has been through something similar and knows what to look out for :pray2:

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Poor thing... so much to go through... neck, tooth and now this. I wonder if it is a side effect from the medication, if not that she is on some type of pain.

Cheli did this for three days about a month ago, but I realized it was due to something I feed him did not agree with his belly, he had an upset belly - our other pup was fine the whole time so the food was OK, just did not agree with him

send positive thoughts your way

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I have an English Bulldog that drools all of the time. He has done this since he was about a year old and he is 8 now. He has an exaggerated under-bite, but nothing is wrong with him. He is a healthy slobbery boy!

PugandTwoFrenchies

Reaction score
It's interesting that you mention this, because the pug I currently have does this for no reason; just starts drooling. Sometimes I know it's when she's stressed, and other times she'll come in at night from doing her last bathroom break before bedtime, and she just sits in her bed drooling. At first I wondered if she ate something out there that caused her to salivate, but it's happened a few times now to where that can't be the issue.

I have no answer for you, as I have no idea why this happens, but she stops, and then she's just fine.

I often go by the rule of if they're eating, pooping/peeing, playing, sleeping, and activity level is ok, then I'm a bit more at ease. I too wonder if it's a side effect from the meds? Maybe phone the vet clinic and ask what their thoughts are?

Good luck!

Archy

Reaction score
Re: Excessive drooling (watering mouth)

Hi, my name is Maya and I have French bulldog called Archy. He is six years old and very spoild like all of them.
He is suffering from the same problem you described ( dripping clear water like a tap ). I just found this forum and your question. I can notice that you posted this 2 years ago so I wanted to ask you if you found any answers for this problem. Archy had meningitis when he was two and dripping started after all madications( steroids, painkillers ..... He had six different pills a day I can't even remember ).He is six now and I am really worried as his dripping is getting worse. I can't find any connections or patterns when it's happening , sometimes it wakes him up and then he can't stop licking his pows, his bed...everything. Only I can say that he is then extrimly hungry .... I am so lost and vet is too.... Please if you find this and have any answer let me know.
Thank you so much in advance
Maya

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Our EB, Ruggles has really big jowls that seem to hold water and contribute to the frequent drooling. Also, certain smells set it off!

christinegeoffrey

Reaction score

Hi, my name is Maya and I have French bulldog called Archy. He is six years old and very spoild like all of them.
He is suffering from the same problem you described ( dripping clear water like a tap ). I just found this forum and your question. I can notice that you posted this 2 years ago so I wanted to ask you if you found any answers for this problem. Archy had meningitis when he was two and dripping started after all madications( steroids, painkillers ..... He had six different pills a day I can't even remember ).He is six now and I am really worried as his dripping is getting worse. I can't find any connections or patterns when it's happening , sometimes it wakes him up and then he can't stop licking his pows, his bed...everything. Only I can say that he is then extrimly hungry .... I am so lost and vet is too.... Please if you find this and have any answer let me know.
Thank you so much in advance
Maya

Hi Maya,

I also have a frenchie that had a ruptured disc 18 months ago, he had surgery and has recovered fine.

He has excessive dribble at times and I cant seem to find the reason. Its as you say, like a running tap. Have you had any answers??

Christine

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I wonder if nerve damage from the ruptured discs could cause excessive salivation like a stroke does in humans? Usually it's associated with difficulty swallowing too. It's treated in humans with scopolamine patches or botox injection to the salivary glands.

LewSutherland

Reaction score

Hi, really sorry to read about your dog. Did you manage to get to the bottom of the issue? The same is happening to my little girl also (she's 5 in March) but the symptoms you've explained are the same, really constant watery drooling which can sometimes last a few hours or sometimes even 12 hours.

I would love to know if you managed to get to the bottom of the problem. Thankyou, I hope your dog is ok now

Lewis

LewSutherland

Reaction score

Hi Maya, my frenchie girl also has the same problem you and the original poster mentioned... Did you manage to find out what the problem was? I hope your dog was ok and everything was fine

Thanks, Lewis

BellaJolanta

Reaction score

Hi Maya, my frenchie girl also has the same problem you and the original poster mentioned... Did you manage to find out what the problem was? I hope your dog was ok and everything was fine

Thanks, Lewis

H,
My 5years old Frenchie has this problem also, did you find out what it could be? Vet seems to be lost, they just giving us random medicine

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks, Lewis

H,
My 5years old Frenchie has this problem also, did you find out what it could be? Vet seems to be lost, they just giving us random medicine

my guy does this too... never found the root cause, vet says it could be a saliva gland is inflamed but not way to know unless it happens when at the vet

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score

This happened to Jax one time and it was due to a medication. And now I can’t remember which one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lianajanee

Reaction score

Has anyone got to the bottom of this? My frenchie has been suffering with this for about 4 months. I work in a veterinary hospital so he's had scopes, ct scans, tried ompezole, phenobarbital, changing his food. We're all stumped 😔 like someone else said he licks his paws, beds.

He is 4 years old now, he did have meningitis when he was 1 years old but don't think it's related.
I think maybe it's after exercise but not all the time?
I feel like some vets will just say boas but he is an active boy and doesn't struggle with exercise!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Has anyone got to the bottom of this? My frenchie has been suffering with this for about 4 months. I work in a veterinary hospital so he's had scopes, ct scans, tried ompezole, phenobarbital, changing his food. We're all stumped [emoji17] like someone else said he licks his paws, beds.

He is 4 years old now, he did have meningitis when he was 1 years old but don't think it's related.
I think maybe it's after exercise but not all the time?
I feel like some vets will just say boas but he is an active boy and doesn't struggle with exercise!

I have not... it comes and goes so random we can’t find the trigger

Lianajanee

Reaction score

I have not... it comes and goes so random we can’t find the trigger

Mine can do it like 3 times a week 😔 currently doing it now!
Are they fine in every other sense?
It makes me worry about his spine, his recent ct does show a bad spine but vets aren't too concerned, just a ' common frenchie spine'

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Mine can do it like 3 times a week [emoji17] currently doing it now!
Are they fine in every other sense?
It makes me worry about his spine, his recent ct does show a bad spine but vets aren't too concerned, just a ' common frenchie spine'

My guy has bad spine ... we do monthly laser session to control inflammation