Hair loss(around eyes)

gianolrac

Reaction score
Hi everyone! this is the first time I encountered this skin problem for my frenchie.. Could anyone share his/her experience in treating this problem? Is this easy to treat like just taking a regular bath twice a week with a soap for bacterial infections? Thank you in advance guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
can you please post a picture of the spot?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes please a picture would be wonderful to see.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

gianolrac

Reaction score
hi there.. it's hard to take a pic of him focusing his eye so i borrowed a pic from the web..

It looks like this and I started to notice it maybe 2 to 3 days ago..

3upuzune.jpg

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
If it resembles that I would certainly see your vet and preferably an opthomologist. I've never encountered anything like that before but the first thing that comes to mind is allergies and eye rubbing. Does he rub his eyes/face on anything?
[MENTION=3]Sherry[/MENTION] has a bulldog who has bad allergies with hair loss so maybe she can give you some insight.

What diet are you currently feeding?

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I have never seen that before either, maybe a vet visit.

Sherry

Reaction score
Hi and I'm so sorry I'm late, hair loss around the eye usually is the start of Mange. Definitely should make a vet appointment for a scraping. question, is there hair loss starting around the mouth also?

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
No help here either ... but i hope you find out wht it is soon!!! :huh:

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't seen that before either but I hope you find out what it is and it heals fast!

gianolrac

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thank you for your kind comments and suggestions! I haven't been to my vet but I called her and described what was happening to my dog's eye and she recommended to use Mycocide Shampoo around the eyes! I've been using it for a week now and voila! it's growing back as if nothing happened! Thanks to all of you guys!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thank you for your kind comments and suggestions! I haven't been to my vet but I called her and described what was happening to my dog's eye and she recommended to use Mycocide Shampoo around the eyes! I've been using it for a week now and voila! it's growing back as if nothing happened! Thanks to all of you guys!

That's great! I have never heard of this shampoo, it must be safe to use or get into the eyes? I'm intrigued!

Beximo

Reaction score
Hello fellow Frenchie-owners.

I realise this thread is pretty old and there many not be much point in writing this but our dog Lola has exactly the same thing as the writer from the Original Post described. It appears to be hair-loss / a whitening of the skin. We took her to the vet but the vet had no idea what it was or even could be and gave her something for conjunctivitis. Which I'm pretty sure she didn't have... :sneaky2: :facepalm:

So I come to my trusty internet friend. I'm hugely happy to hear about the shampoo that worked but unfortunately I don't live in America so we don't have access to that kind of help. We live in the Canary Islands where there still isn't much knowledge of Frenchies in general.

I see that Mycocide is used to treat fungi, yeast and bacterial infections (which, after much research and symptoms etc, I'm pretty sure that's what it is.) Do any of you dog-lovers know any natural remedies safe for the ever-allergy-prone French Bulldog, that I might be able to use instead...?

I know my husband had a mild fungus on his foot and we treated it with vineger. (Honestly, works like immediately. :eek:hmy: , and also where Lola could have caught it from!) but there's no way I'm trying this on Lolita without some advice first!

And please don't recommend me to go to a vet. :facepalm: All the vets we ever had just charged ridiculous amounts of money for nothing! And they don't even know what's wrong with her! Ever!!

hannah

Reaction score
Hello fellow Frenchie-owners.

I realise this thread is pretty old and there many not be much point in writing this but our dog Lola has exactly the same thing as the writer from the Original Post described. It appears to be hair-loss / a whitening of the skin. We took her to the vet but the vet had no idea what it was or even could be and gave her something for conjunctivitis. Which I'm pretty sure she didn't have... :sneaky2: :facepalm:

So I come to my trusty internet friend. I'm hugely happy to hear about the shampoo that worked but unfortunately I don't live in America so we don't have access to that kind of help. We live in the Canary Islands where there still isn't much knowledge of Frenchies in general.

I see that Mycocide is used to treat fungi, yeast and bacterial infections (which, after much research and symptoms etc, I'm pretty sure that's what it is.) Do any of you dog-lovers know any natural remedies safe for the ever-allergy-prone French Bulldog, that I might be able to use instead...?

I know my husband had a mild fungus on his foot and we treated it with vineger. (Honestly, works like immediately. :eek:hmy: , and also where Lola could have caught it from!) but there's no way I'm trying this on Lolita without some advice first!

And please don't recommend me to go to a vet. :facepalm: All the vets we ever had just charged ridiculous amounts of money for nothing! And they don't even know what's wrong with her! Ever!!

Have you tried coconut oil?

Beximo

Reaction score
Haven't tried anything yet, nope! Coconut oil is safe to use around the eye...? What does it do?

hannah

Reaction score
Haven't tried anything yet, nope! Coconut oil is safe to use around the eye...? What does it do?

It can be given internally or applied externally, and can provide remedies for many skin infections. It can disinfect cuts and improve your dog’s general skin and coat condition. Wounds also heal faster with coconut oil, and it helps to deodorize your dog’s skin and clear up some rashes as well.

I have used coconut oil on banksys fur before and also put a bit in his food.

I would say considering it is safe for them to eat it would be safe to use a bit around his eye, try a small amount. Give it a go and see if it helps?

Chiana

Reaction score
I don't know how it went with the original poster, like did it re-occur after the treatment or was that a one time fix with that specific shampoo.
I have not heard of that shampoo either.

Normally how these skin issues goes, is to go to the vet (I know this is not you want) but to be sure there is no Mange or other parasites. Next step is the diet.
I have heard a lot of success stories of Frenchies suffering skin issues that has been cured by a proper diet.
What kind of food you are giving to Lola?

There's no harm is carefully wiping the surroundings of the eye with water/vinegar mix. Just make sure you make the mix mild enough, 3% vinegar and rest water.