Strange snorting noise

Anthea

Reaction score
Hi all
Since last night Billy (8 months) has made a strange snorting noise a few times (3 times to be precise, while I've been around him). I say "strange" because it's unlike his usual frenchie snorts - he is a very snorty boy ;) It sounds like he's breathing in though his nose but something gets stuck so he makes a very prolonged and loud snort and looks like he can't breathe for a second or two. He's fine afterwards when he's got over it, but I'm wondering if this is a usual occurrence in frenchies.
When he was neutered I had the vet check his soft palate and she said it didn't look problematic enough to cause problems and so didn't need trimming, but I'm wondering now if this might be it?
He often snorts and gags, but again it doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest. As a puppy he is very energetic and loves racing around with big dogs until he flops down (obviously I won't be letting him do this in hot weather.)
He doesn't look sick in any other way so I don't suspect kennel cough, plus he's up to date on all his vaccinations.
I think it's bothering me more than him but it doesn't look comfortable.
Any ideas??
Many thanks

Chiana

Reaction score
Sounds like reverse breathing. No panic, it's not a dangerous condition. You can help your dog to recover from it quicker by closing his nostrils with your palm for a short while. This forces the dog to open his mouth and snorting ends.
This happens to our Moses every now and then as well.

Here's a link to a short article describing the condition: (Moderators, please remove, in case this link is not allowed)

http://frenchbulldogwelfaretrust.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/reverse-sneezing-in-french-bulldogs2.pdf

blushy

Reaction score
My two do it when they get excited. It almost looks like gagging, sounds like HORRRRK HORRRRRK haha.

It's common in all dogs. I seriously haven't met a dog who hasn't made that noise every now and again.

Mine relax and stop if you pet them.

Tgirl

Reaction score
It sounds like a reverse sneeze to me, but it's hard to say without seeing and hearing it.

Anthea

Reaction score
Yes!!! Horrrrrk.....That's exactly the noise!! Thanks for the youtube clip, Chiana, and very reassuring to hear that it's totally normal :)

Thanks everyone. Billy says thanks too for helping out his neurotic mum ;)

Chiana

Reaction score
Yes!!! Horrrrrk.....That's exactly the noise!! Thanks for the youtube clip, Chiana, and very reassuring to hear that it's totally normal :)

Thanks everyone. Billy says thanks too for helping out his neurotic mum ;)
[MENTION=1113]Anthea[/MENTION], just want to be sure that if this reverse sneezing "Hooork" sound comes very frequent, it is always wise to consult a vet about your concerns.
We here are just frenchie lovers and by no means vets...however, by the sound of it...it sounds like reverse sneezing indeed.

Anthea

Reaction score
Thanks, Chiana - I'll keep an eye on it but from the article you sent as well as the video, I'm 100% sure this is what it is. Especially since he doesn't seem in the least bit concerned about it. Lucky it only lasts for a few seconds. Advice from frenchie lovers is much appreciated.

Chiana

Reaction score
Thanks, Chiana - I'll keep an eye on it but from the article you sent as well as the video, I'm 100% sure this is what it is. Especially since he doesn't seem in the least bit concerned about it. Lucky it only lasts for a few seconds. Advice from frenchie lovers is much appreciated.

Glad to hear we have been able to put your mind in ease. I'm also relatively new to this forum, but have been following it for approx 1,5 years since we got Moses, and honestly, this forum have saved me from going to blood pressure meds! :D
These little guys....

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
agreed --- reverse sneezing --- you can stop it by cover his nostrils with two fingers which forces them to breath through his mouth