Freeze Dried Stinging Nettle for allergies

PipSqueak

Reaction score
Has anyone tried or know anything about using Freeze Dried Stinging Nettle capsules for dogs. I use it for my occasional seasonal allergies as it has natural anti histamines and it works really well. I saw the Martha Stewart show (a while back now) where she mentioned that she uses it for one of her Frenchies that has allergies and was always chewing her feet. Haven't really been able to find much more about it for use in dogs, asked my vet about it today when I took Olive for a check up and she had never heard of it but said she would look into it. Would love to know if it would help, really want to keep Olive's treatments as natural as possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thx Pip.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting... I never heard of it, but will ask my vet tonight. There is a holistic vet on site so she may know wat it is

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I wish I'd have read this before I picked up Buster, I'd have asked my vet!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I am curious as to what the vets say. I Googled it and found a pet poison help line web site and they said it can cause profuse salivation, pawing at the mouth, vomiting, labored breathing, muscle fasciculations (twitching) and ataxia. This may be the live plant and not the freeze dried plant. Don't know if there is a difference.

twice

Reaction score
Stinging Nettle is great for urinary joint issues but there isn't enough research yet or even enough positive results from the research that they have done to risk the side effects that David pointed out to use for anything else, including allergies. If you want a holistic approach to allergy treatment your best bet is immunotherapy with raw, local honey. A small dog should get about a teaspoon a week.

PipSqueak

Reaction score
I am curious as to what the vets say. I Googled it and found a pet poison help line web site and they said it can cause profuse salivation, pawing at the mouth, vomiting, labored breathing, muscle fasciculations (twitching) and ataxia. This may be the live plant and not the freeze dried plant. Don't know if there is a difference.

I think this reaction is if the dog gets stung by the actual plant, I'm no expert though so I am curious to learn more. Where I grew up stinging nettles seem to grow every where in the spring and I was always getting stung by the buggers while out playing, used to get very painful blister type welts from them and then rub them with another plant called dock leaves to soothe them. I've heard of people over the years drinking stinging nettle tea to help with allergies but only came across the capsules a couple years ago, they work for me but i really don't have any idea about use for dogs.
Any body got Martha on speed dial!!:D