liver enzyme ALT still elevated :(

chubbybunnymax

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope everyone had a wonderful summer! I'm looking forward to the cooler temperatures so little Maximus could play outside more.

I've been MIA since Maximus went to the ER in June and we found out his ALT was elevated (up to 800!). He had the biles acid test done as well as an ultrasound that came out pretty normal. We took him off his raw diet and started home cooking. We are checking periodically his ALT levels and they still remain high so I finally caved and Maximus is now on a course of antibiotics.

I was wondering if anyone else went through this - elevated liver enzyme in asymptomatic dog. We are holding off on the neuter surgery and trying to find out what is actually causing his enzymes to elevate. So stressed...

IMG_0395.JPG

blushy

Reaction score
Aw poor sweetie! Things wrong with no answers in sight is such a rough thing!

I wish I could help you but I have no experience with this! I'm sure someone here may have an idea!

Stop worrying your family, Max!

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this :(

Have you heard about Milk Thistle? It helps rebuild liver cells and detoxes the liver. It is known to lower elevated liver enzymes.
There is also a product made by Dr. Mercola called Kidney & Liver support. You might want to look into this as well.

Out of curiostity : Why did the vet prescribe antibiotics?

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about this problem. Hopefully the answer to lowering those levels will be found soon.

chubbybunnymax

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this :(

Have you heard about Milk Thistle? It helps rebuild liver cells and detoxes the liver. It is known to lower elevated liver enzymes.
There is also a product made by Dr. Mercola called Kidney & Liver support. You might want to look into this as well.

Out of curiostity : Why did the vet prescribe antibiotics?

Yes we have milk thistle and used it in the beginning. We initially thought Maximus had some poisoning (that's why we went to ER). We were monitoring his ALT and they should have gone down by now but instead they elevated so much... then we went for the follow up tests. The vet suggested putting him on antibiotics since he might have some infection in the gut. We held off on the antibiotic route until now since next step is liver biopsy which I really am trying to avoid. He's only 15 months! :(

We decided to hold off on the milk thistle, denamarin and other supplements since we really want to get to the bottom this. If we find out there is actually something wrong with his liver, we will of course give him milk thistle and other supplements that help detox his liver. Other than his ALT level, he seems normal.

I'm perplexed since I'm so picky about his food and treats. He was on a raw diet and I'm careful what treats we give him. He gets home cooked food now and his enzymes are pretty much the same so I'm sure it's not his diet. This dog stresses me out so much. heehee :)

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
At least it doesnt seem to physically affect him (yet).

I hope you will soon find out what is causing all this. Obviously its not his diet. Had he been exposed to a lot of pesticides, (flea & tick) spot ons, lots of medication, etc?

Kristen

Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear you're going through this! My furbaby went through similar issues... changed her diet, multiple ultrasounds and misdiagnosis in between. I was just as nervous with the biopsy but it is really the only thing that will help you get to the bottom of it and get your baby back in good heath. My little Frenchie was diagnosed with Congenital Hepatic Fibrosis and since she's been on meds has made a full recovery. Although she'll be on meds for life, Hailey lives a happy healthy life and so can your little Frog Dog :) The one piece of advice I would say is that Denamarin seems to be key! There are two other medications she's on but feel the Denemarin has been instrumental. Best wishes and keep us posted!

Tgirl

Reaction score
:( Poor baby. I hope they figure out what is going on soon.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no experience with this but wnat to send well wishes, positive thoughts and prayers that you find the cause and he recover quickly!

chubbybunnymax

Reaction score
[MENTION=1486]Kristen[/MENTION] - Thanks for sharing Hailey's experience. They are such happy creatures. This morning, Maximus bumped into another frenchie and they were having a blast playing on the sidewalk. He plays differently with frenchies compared to other dogs. He was play growling and I couldn't help it but smile. :) I feel like when it comes to other life situations, I'm totally calm about it. When it comes to the dog, I turn into such a nervous wreck.
[MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION] - No flea/tick/heartworm prevention for my furbaby. I use lavendar oil/water spray for prevention. The only medication he is on are the antibiotics.

Thanks everyone for the support! Only other dog (obsessed) owners understand. :D

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
This is so odd. I hope you will find an answer soon!
Until then, fingers crossed that he will contine to be his happy self :)

Frenchie Mommy

Reaction score
[MENTION=1068]chubbybunnymax[/MENTION] We are going through the same thing with our 11 month old, Clancy. Wanted to neuter him and found out his ALT WAS high. He's been on Denamarin since and blood tests every 14 days to see the ALT Level and at the same time taking antibiotics. We don't know what has caused it. I feel for you. We also had did the ultrasound and everything was normal. Last week he was neutered as his ALT is now at a high normal. He will most likely be on Denamarin for the rest of his life. He does not exhibit liver disease signs. Please keep us posted on Max.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frenchie Mommy

Reaction score
BTW....our surgical center did the neutering of Clancy which was quite expensive but worth our piece of mind. The internist stayed in touch with our vet constantly on what to do with Clancy's elevated enzymes. The antibiotics were given in conjunction with the Denamarin and the combination brought his levels down quickly. Now that he's been on so many weeks of antibiotics, I have to get his tummy back to normal as he's having loose stools. He's doing great now as his neuter surgery was last Friday but I did refuse the liver biopsy that they wanted to do. Hope this info helps.

chubbybunnymax

Reaction score
[MENTION=554]Frenchie Mommy[/MENTION] We are also running blood tests about every two weeks to check his ALT. We are bringing Maximus in tomorrow for more blood work after he's been on the antibiotics for two weeks now. I'm also hesitant on the liver biopsy and if we see that his ALT levels went down with the antibiotics, I will also refuse the biopsy. The antibiotics really take a toll on their tummies! Poor Maximus has soft stool all the time now. I will everyone posted. *crossing fingers* :pray:

mhuinker

Reaction score
Do you know what causes the elevated numbers? Just curious, because when we adopted Leo, about 2 yrs ago now, his ALT was elevated (292), but went in 3 weeks later and did a recheck and it was back in the normal range at 83, so whatever it was it was temporary, at least at that time.

But, having said that, I've noticed his drinking has increased significantly in the last few days, maybe even a week.... and am a little worried, and wondering if this is something I should have rechecked and recheck it on a regular basis?? I also emailed my vet, whom I love and he is great with my babies, he sent me back a very lengthy reply trying to set my mind at ease, but also giving me the option to have him come in for more extensive blood work than the last time. He also mentioned there could be several reasons for an elevated ALT. :blink: However, he never mentioned anything about a Liver biopsy thank goodness, at least not yet and didn't mention anything about putting him on any antibiotics either....

Last edited:

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
[MENTION=554]Frenchie Mommy[/MENTION] We are also running blood tests about every two weeks to check his ALT. We are bringing Maximus in tomorrow for more blood work after he's been on the antibiotics for two weeks now. I'm also hesitant on the liver biopsy and if we see that his ALT levels went down with the antibiotics, I will also refuse the biopsy. The antibiotics really take a toll on their tummies! Poor Maximus has soft stool all the time now. I will everyone posted. *crossing fingers* :pray:

I hope it's good news!! Poor little guy. :(

Frenchie Mommy

Reaction score
[MENTION=1068]chubbybunnymax[/MENTION]. I hope you get great numbers and let us know the results. Clancy needs his test done every 3 months now but we were going every 14 days for blood work. We are due in November for the test. I don't know if Clancy was exposed to lawn chemicals that my neighbor uses or if he found something in the backyard that caused this. I keep him in when I see the Scott's man next door but that stuff is still there. It is a mystery. None of his litter mates have this. My breeder was so upset and cried....then I wanted to cry. The cause is still unknown at this point. Our Clancy has lost weight through all of this too. Again...keep us posted and I'm praying that you get good news[emoji173]️

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Hope they can figure it out soon, so he can get back to normal.

chubbybunnymax

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks so much for your support. We got Maximus's bloodwork back and his ALT is still very high (around 900). [MENTION=194]mhuinker[/MENTION] I have no idea what is causing the elevated enzymes. It's good news that your pup's levels went back down.

Maximus is off the antibiotics now. I'm focusing on trying to get his ALT with Milk Thistle and Denamarin to at least normal high. :T