neutering: pros and cons?

giuanniell90

Reaction score
hi guys my girlfriends frenchie will be neutered next week!! in the last months he became really obsessive with other dog, tryng to mount every time compulsively my female dog and some in the street, and last week also my girlfriends neighbour leg...could you share some experience? what are the pros and cons of neutering? thanks a lot guys

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Jake was neutered at 7 mos. of age. I wanted to wait longer, but I couldn't take him mounting everything, including my leg. Once he was neutered, it stopped. He still mounts Stella sometimes when I am playing fetch with her, but that's it. Neutering is major surgery so I would make sure you take him to a vet that is familiar with the breed and the proper anesthesia protocol. I would also not have him neutered younger than 6 mos. Good luck!

JuniorsMom

Reaction score
We'll have Junior neutered some time in the next few months -- he's five months now, and just showing signs off and on. Our vet likes to wait until 9 months of age to see some more bone growth and muscle development on male dogs before he schedules the neuter, so long as we're not seeing behavioral problems like marking and mounting and aggression. I'm not sure we're going to be able to hold out until 9 months though!

I worry about the anesthesia the most, for my bully dogs. The neuter itself is very simple for a male dog, but a spay is of course more involved for a female. Having said that, my pugs have gone under anesthesia many times under the supervision of knowledgeable vets and we've never had a problem.

Lisa

hannah

Reaction score
It's so interesting how all vets have different opinions. We took banksy in to the vet for an eye problem yesterday and the vet said he should be neutered soon and there is no benefit of waiting. Which I disagree with. It makes me want to find another vet.... but he really is an amazing, highly recommended vet where I live. I was surprised to hear his opinion on this. Anyway, we are still waiting. Banksy is 7 months old in a few days and does not mount. He is however extremely high energy and tests me a lot. But that I can handle, and continue to train and establish dominance with him. We plan on neutering before he is 1 years old and will wait until we feel the time is right.

hotrod351

Reaction score
think we had our little girl spayed at 5 or 5 1/2 months. vet has been in practice for more than 30 years. as for anesthesia, well she showed me she used what was recommended. she has done this for many years with no problems, otherwise she wouldnt be doing it. there are a lot of different opinions on this matter. best to go with what your vet says, after all he, or in my case she, is the expert. my little girl also had the stitches they desolve. all went good and she is a healthy and happy girl, she is eight months now. i also remember years back when people said to let your dog have a litter first, made them more protective and so on and so on. thee vet is going to do what works for them. may still ddo the mounting thing, its a = im the boss of you thing, even my girls do it form time to time, and both spayed and girls.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Wait as long as possible.
Dogs need their sex organs to develop properly. There have been many studies done, that show an early spay/neuter increases the risk of joint disease and other illnesses later on.

It is common practise in Europe not to spay/neuter at all unless its absolutely necessary due to untrainable behaviour or health issues.(In some countries its even illegal).

But everybody has a different opinion on this subject, so best to do your own research and decide what works best for you ;)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I had Jax neutered at 6 months. He goes to daycare and the dogs have to be spayed/neutered. I do not regret having him done at that age and he has developed perfectly fine.

turbodave

Reaction score
I've talked to several vets about when best to spay Olive, and they all had the same opinion. Best to get it done at or just before she turns 6mo. They quoted several studies that indicate the occurance of mammary cancer was MANY time worse if waiting until after their first season. And that if getting it done before then, the chances of mammary cancer were virtually nill.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I've talked to several vets about when best to spay Olive, and they all had the same opinion. Best to get it done at or just before she turns 6mo. They quoted several studies that indicate the occurance of mammary cancer was MANY time worse if waiting until after their first season. And that if getting it done before then, the chances of mammary cancer were virtually nill.

I think in this case we are talking about a male though ;)

KimB3384

Reaction score
We had Beezy spayed before she was 6 months old because our vet also quoted the stats on mammary cancer, and also because it's required by her daycare. The daycare is run by a top-notch vet clinic and they require all dogs to be spayed or neutered by 6 months if they're going to participate.

I have a friend who got her male Frenchie from the same breeder I did, and she agreed to become part of their breeding program by "donating" samples every so often. He's about the same age as Beezy now, which would put him at around 2, and he is a holy terror. Really aggressive. She took pictures of the horrible gash on her Pug's head from where the Frenchie took a bite and wouldn't let go. That's just not anything I'm interested in. Our next pup will be a male and we'll have him neutered early. If you're not planning to breed, I just feel like it's the responsible thing to do. Our shelters are overflowing with dogs and cats resulting from accidents or owners who don't care - not to imply that anyone here is like that. As the beloved Bob Barker would say, "Remember, kids ... always spay or neuter your pet!"

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I am aware this is a mainly american forum, so its obvious that most people have heard about the common 'spat/neuter early-theorie'. However most European would highly disagree and more and more Americans are also starting to realize that waiting (especially for a male) as long as possible will come with positive results.

Nutrition,vaccinations and religion are similar topics that always come with all kinds of opinions when you ask a simple question :p

KimB3384

Reaction score
However most European would highly disagree and more and more Americans are also starting to realize that waiting (especially for a male) as long as possible will come with positive results.

Tell that to the poor little Pug with the 3-inch gash on his head and an eye that's swollen shut. Fortunately, I think he's going to be okay.

Look, I get that there are different practices in other countries, and even in different households in this country, but I think this forum needs to be a place where people feel safe and unjudged for their decisions. We all have opinions, and we should be able to do what we want with our dogs. Lots of people here made the choice to spay or neuter their dog and feel that it was the right one. Others have decided not to do so. Let's agree that each side has the right to do what works for them and that no one should be made to feel bad about any decision they make.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with [MENTION=380]KimB3384[/MENTION].

People shouldn't be made to feel bad for neutering and spaying their pet. I believe everyone on this forum does their research and does what they feel is best for them and their pet and sometimes we look for advice from other members.

There is a huge problem in the United States with not spaying/neutering. Shelters are often full and lots of times the dogs and cats get put to sleep. If more people would spay/neuter, this wouldn't be such a common and huge issue.

As I previously said, I stand 100% by my decision to neuter Jax at 6 months and if I ever got another dog, I would do the same. Jax's growth hasn't been stunted by it and he has developed just fine.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Tell that to the poor little Pug with the 3-inch gash on his head and an eye that's swollen shut. Fortunately, I think he's going to be okay.

Look, I get that there are different practices in other countries, and even in different households in this country, but I think this forum needs to be a place where people feel safe and unjudged for their decisions. We all have opinions, and we should be able to do what we want with our dogs. Lots of people here made the choice to spay or neuter their dog and feel that it was the right one. Others have decided not to do so. Let's agree that each side has the right to do what works for them and that no one should be made to feel bad about any decision they make.

Please read my posts again.
I said everyone should do what works best for the individiual.
I also said,spaying/neutering can be done if there is a behavioural problem,that cannot be otherwise cured.Your example would definitely be falling under this category.

I am sorry,but whenever this topic comes up,I will stand my ground and express my opinion,just like everybody else is allowed to.
Since this is a public forum I feel it is important to cover all aspects on certain subjects.

KimB3384

Reaction score
Lisa, I love your passion, and I really do appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help, but there are times when you -- I assume -- unintentionally make people feel bad about decisions they've made regarding their dogs. I would never want you to compromise your position on issues, but an acknowledgment that not every issue is black and white is key. People vaccinate, people feed kibble, people spay and neuter. As long as dogs aren't being abused or hurt, we're all on the same side. We all want the best for our kids :)

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I never personally attack anybody.
I just like to stand my ground and I will continue to do so.
Not to make anybody feel bad, but rather to make people aware there is always a different site to everything.
Like you said,nothing is black and white. Or rather 'always black. Or always white'. My opinion is just the little colour splash that I feel is important in nowadays world.

If anyone takes my posts personally,then I'm sorry, but my posts are never personal, but rather adressed to the public.

And this is also going to be my last post on this thread :)

But yes, if people specifically ask for the pros and cons, they will get to hear the pros and cons ;)

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I had Wally neutered when he was 1 years old. I will always neuter/spay my dogs.

Pope

Reaction score
It's really interesting to read about the different options and experiences people have had! Pope was already neutered when we got him. His breeder had him neutered at 8 weeks :( when he needed to be put under anesthesia for a separate health issue. He is a totally healthy, lively boy who is so loving. However, he is definitely much leaner than other frenchies. Most people assume he is a boston as he is very athletic and muscular, no chub on my boy at all. We love how he looks and it hasn't caused any health concerns, but I do wonder if his growth was stunted by an early neutering. Also, he is only 1.5 years now, so still a puppy, but he is a hyper boy, and there are some more obnoxious manner issues we cannot seem to train out of him (jumping on people, attacking the tv, and rough play). Other than that, he is a healthy, well-behaved loving little guy (very very smart, and besides the beforementioned issues, VERY easy to train). Love him :)

We just brought home an unneutered 13 week boy, so I'm interested in when we should neuter him. Happy to see everyone's opinion!

hannah

Reaction score
8 WEEKS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh my goodness. that is sad.

Pope

Reaction score
8 WEEKS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh my goodness. that is sad.

I know :/ but as far as we can tell, it hasn't affected his personality at all, and he has never seemed to suffer because of it