Bald patch on leg..... (pic attached)

petitsfilous

Reaction score
Bald patch on leg

About 3 months ago. My pup lost a patch of hair on one of his front legs.

The hair still hasn't grown back...

I tried applying wheatgerm oil but all that seemed to do was dis-colour the hair around it...

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused it and what I can possibly do to speed up the regrowth?

Attachments

• IMAG0306.jpg
    IMAG0306.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 458

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Could he be rubbing it on something? Have you let a vet look at it. Sometimes they can have an allergic reaction to something and it will take several months before the hair will grow back. Not sure what will speed up the growth process though.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Sorry, no help here. To my untrained eye it looks more like an abrasion rather than a hot spot caused by a food allergy, but a scrape would have healed by now. I'd take him to the vet.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it have any texture to it... rough, scaly? Or is it below the skin surface?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I agree it doesn't appear to be a hot spot or staph... since you've had it for awhile it may just be a miscommunication to need to grow hair there, only a skin scrape will tell for sure. This way they can rule out mange and test it to see if its fungal.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

petitsfilous

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't really give much info did I. When he first started losing the hair there, his skin was covered in these little black scabs - which are no longer there. The skin also looked a little raw but that has also gone now. I have no idea what caused it but it's taking a long time to grow back and he has a show coming up this month.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't really give much info did I. When he first started losing the hair there, his skin was covered in these little black scabs - which are no longer there. The skin also looked a little raw but that has also gone now. I have no idea what caused it but it's taking a long time to grow back and he has a show coming up this month.

Do you have a wire brush? Known as the slicker brush?

I would wash the spot with a antibacterial / antifungal shampoo like pharmaseb once a day. Then gently massage the area with a slicker brush... This will bring the blood to the surface of the skin. You'll see the skin turn pink then stop. Hopefully that will stimulate regrowth of the hair and if there is anything there the shampoo will kill it.

petitsfilous

Reaction score
Do you have a wire brush? Known as the slicker brush?

I would wash the spot with a antibacterial / antifungal shampoo like pharmaseb once a day. Then gently massage the area with a slicker brush... This will bring the blood to the surface of the skin. You'll see the skin turn pink then stop. Hopefully that will stimulate regrowth of the hair and if there is anything there the shampoo will kill it.

I shall give this a go. Thank you so much :)

AdamFisher888

Reaction score
Re: Bald patch on leg

Hi just come across your feed, our frenchie has the same thing! Did you find anything that helped? Thanks Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johann

Reaction score
Re: Bald patch on leg

Hello, my Frenchie have the same problem on his front leg. Did the advise help with the shampoo treatment? Thanks