Treats for training purposes

Westbury

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post and im also a first time frenchie owner. Pearl is almost 4 months old now!! Potty trainig was pretty easy for her to grasp without alot of problems so far( i should thank the breeder for that!!!) but i just wanted to know what everyone uses for treats to train a frenchie?!? I need to start getting her trained not to pull on the leash and also to come when i say come. Most of the treats ive seen in the stores around where i live ( which is a small town of only 11,000) dont seem to be of the highest quality and are usually bigger size treats for bigger dogs!! Should i just buy these treats and break them into smaller pieces?? Eventually i will ween her off the treats but for training purposes i need something that she really likes and wont cause upset stomach or a choking hazard!!! Thanks everyone!!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I usually get my treats from petflow, I can find good grain free treats on their clearance. You can find an ad for them on our homepage. Most of the time if I am doing a long training session I will just use their dog food as I don't want to upset their tummy. I also give fresh fruits and veggies. Otherwise I usually frozen green beans because they love them the most. I prefer these over treats.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We use Fruitables for their treats and as Lisa has said, if you are going to use a lot of them, use their kibble, fruits or veggies, and they love green beans. The Fruitables treats are small but if you are training with them I would cut them into smaller pieces. Petflow does carry Fruiables too, and our bullies love them, and they are good for them too. Just remember, grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. If you buy from Petflow, remember to use the coupon code "Englishbulldog" when you checkout.

Last edited:

trishkidd24

Reaction score
By recommendation of our vet/breeder she told us to use Bill-Jac Little Jacs Liver Treats. They are very small and she goes crazy over them.
Otherwise she said pieces of her dry kibble would work great too :)

Trish & Margie :)

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I use kibble for treats, but also my babies get banana, strawberry or raspberry, and assorted veggies just for helping me cook!

FindBehr

Reaction score
I'm so happy you asked this question because I have been wondering this too. I read online that pumpkin was a good source of fiber and found a treat recipe that used canned pumpkin. Below is a copy of that recipe-

http://www.ehow.com/way_5300690_pumpkin-dog-treat-recipe.html

I haven't tried it but it was a thought for the future and not too expensive. What I have used in the past was popcorn it was a good size, inexpensive, and kept my dogs interest. I wouldn't recommend it all the time but if you were going to have a training power hour it might be helpful.

Hope that was some good food for thought, good luck and let us know what works.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I am lucky that Cheli is food motivated so i could use anything, but I use either his kibble, fresh fruit, frozen grren beans or Fruitables (grain free smaller sze treats)

WilbursDad

Reaction score
We use http://www.amazon.com/Old-Mother-Hu...ds=old+mother+hubbard+oven-baked+dog+biscuits
Since he's a puppy right now, we break them up into smaller pieces and use them for training.

We also include http://www.amazon.com/Pup-Peroni-Le...TF8&qid=1376750785&sr=8-5&keywords=pup-peroni
He absolutely LOVES these as they give off a much stronger smell and we break these off also into smaller pieces and include them in his training.

We found that mixing in the pup-peroni into his treats keeps him engaged for a longer period of time because he'll get bored of the dog biscuits quickly.

Willowrun

Reaction score
We like green beans but they get mushy if you are on an outing.....just plain kibble that she eats for dinner is good and sometimes,rarely,I will really freak her out with a few of those tiny little yogurt drops from my trail mix! The expression on her face is priceless!:excited:

mhuinker

Reaction score
Hmmmm, I will have to see if Leo likes frozen green beans.... seems to be a popular choice. I didn't know they liked them so much!! :) I'm using a freeze dried grain free treat right now, turkey flavored I think. He likes them, but I would also like to introduce him to fruits and veggies that are good for him!

- - - Updated - - -

We like green beans but they get mushy if you are on an outing.....just plain kibble that she eats for dinner is good and sometimes,rarely,I will really freak her out with a few of those tiny little yogurt drops from my trail mix! The expression on her face is priceless!:excited:

Haha, this made me giggle..... I would love to see that face!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I will have to see if Leo likes frozen green beans.... seems to be a popular choice. I didn't know they liked them so much!! :) I'm using a freeze dried grain free treat right now, turkey flavored I think. He likes them, but I would also like to introduce him to fruits and veggies that are good for him!

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, this made me giggle..... I would love to see that face!

Jax loves frozen green beans and carrots too. I usually give him one or the other after he eats his dinner as "dessert."

mhuinker

Reaction score
So... tried the frozen green beans on him this weekend, he turned his nose up at them at first, but then finally ate them, LOL

mhuinker

Reaction score
Leo LOOOOOVES bananas though we found out!! :) Is there any fruit I should avoid (besides the obvious grapes/raisins)?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Leo LOOOOOVES bananas though we found out!! :) Is there any fruit I should avoid (besides the obvious grapes/raisins)?

I'll have to try bananas with Jax. Did you just break off pieces for Leo?

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Marg got her first taste of banana this past weekend :) I was eating one because it was soft and easy to chew after surgery, and she was begging for a bite so I shared it. She loved it! Ha nothing better then a cute mushy face eating a mushy banana!

mhuinker

Reaction score
I'll have to try bananas with Jax. Did you just break off pieces for Leo?

Yes, very small pieces (about 3). It's funny, he had never been reactive toward a banana before (since we've had him anyway), and he was at Grandma and Grandpa's house this weekend and Grandma had a banana, and Leo went crazy!

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I usually get my treats from petflow, I can find good grain free treats on their clearance. You can find an ad for them on our homepage. Most of the time if I am doing a long training session I will just use their dog food as I don't want to upset their tummy. I also give fresh fruits and veggies. Otherwise I usually frozen green beans because they love them the most. I prefer these over treats.

I do the same. I use his food as treats. My boy loves his food so it works and it's small.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Some people like carrots too I have seen and heard. Ollie is not fond of them. I usually buy the Blue Buffallo Healthy Biskets for my boys as treats. They are big cookies so I break them up. They make a salmon flavored one that all my boys love and I just got the Pumpkin and Cinnamon treats from Blue Buffallo and they smell DELICIOUS! Dog love them too. LOL

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts