Help with toilet training

Danielle

Reaction score
Hi, my Frenchie Nelson is 9 months and I'm still struggling to toilet train him, during the day when we are home we leave the back door open and he does go outside... When I catch him going I praise him and give him a treat. At night I take him out quite late about 11 before I go to bed sometimes he goes a wee but sometimes I'm sat outside waiting for about 45 mins but give up as I need to get to bed..
Even when he has gone a wee before bed when I wake and go downstairs at 6 he will have pooed and wee,d he is ok left for short periods but will often wee and poo... I'm running out of ideas now... Any advice would be great

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Is there any way you could get a pet door so Nelson could take himself out as needed?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like he is regressing. Is he crate training or does he have free roam?

Is the sun up already at 6am? I had this problem with my teen pups too. During the summer they were around 7-8 months old and were doing so great!!! Then I suddenly starting waking up to a mess every morning! Uggghhh!!! I was like what??? You have not potties in your bed for months!!! What's the problem?!! It occurred to me that even though I was waking at the same time the sun was up long before I was.

I ended up putting tin foil on the window in the living room where their crates were for the summer. Then they didn't wake with the sun and were able to hold it. Yep it's tacky I know but it probably also helped out air conditioning bill!

By the time the next summer rolled around they were adults so I didn't have to do it, they were more trained and could hold it much longer. Don't know if this will help!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Danielle

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for your replies, Nelson has free roam downstairs... He sleeps in a basket in the living room and usually if he poos n wee,s does them in the kitchen, we have never crate trained him but think its a bit late now?? . The sun comes up early here unfortunately... I will try the making it darker in here n see if it helps. Unfortunatly i can't put a dog flap on as we have a manly glass upvc door to garden. Do you think shutting him in the kitchen will help, it's quite a big room though?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would give crate training a try, if its done correctly they love their crate, it's like their place/den. To start the training I always give them a highly valued treat in their crate, never use it for punishment.

Also, a tip. When cleaning up the mess it's a good thing to not yell or get mad at the pup. Even negative attention is attention.... And some will like any type. I actually bitch at the mess only- not at the pup. Crying and whimpering while I clean it up.... Then they will think.... Pooh what I did made my mamma sad! They don't like to make you sad or in pain... Just a little psychological lesson for today!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Some great advice from [MENTION=1]bullmama[/MENTION] I would crate train also. All of ours are crate trained and they like their crates. It is also safer for them to be crate trained. I also don't loke doggie doors, as it could cause disaster. They could go out to sun when you are not home, get too hot and not come back in and die of heat stroke.

Tgirl

Reaction score
Its never too late to crate train. Clayton (terrier mix) was an adult stray living at a campground when I got him. I put him in a crate right away and it worked like a charm. Being unneutered when I found him, and having always been able to "go " wherever he wanted, I was worried he would be hard to train. The crate made it so easy on both of us.