Collar Training

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
Another puppy question for all of you experienced frenchie owners!

We have both a collar and a harness for Margie, our 11 week old puppy. She wears the harness when ever we take her some where that she needs to be on a leash. Our vet/breeder told us collars are bad for them if being pulled on by a leash. So a harness is all we use with walking her.

With that being said, I bought her the cutest sparkly pink collar to wear around the house and in our yard when supervised. We would never hook a leash up to the collar it is just for looks. She absolutely hates it, scratches constantly at it and spins in circles when it is on. I have only been able to keep it on her for 15-20 minutes at a time because I feel bad and then take it off. She doesn't have this reaction to her harness?

Does anyone have any tricks or tips on how to get her to accept the collar and wear it without freaking out? Again, it is just for looks so if we have to go without it we can, but it would still be nice to get her use to one.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Could the collar have an itchy underside because of attached bling? I know my granddaughters hate shirts with applied sparkles because the underside is itchy.

I tend to pick my battles and wearing a pretty collar just for looks wouldn't make the list. I would try to get her used to a soft fabric collar first, then introduce the fancy one.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
:goodpost:

I'm thinking she is just not used to it, great advice from Alice about trying one that is lightweight until she gets used to having one on.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Yeah the one we bought her is leather so maybe its too heavy for her now? I will pick up a regular nylon one and see if that makes a difference or not.

For safety reasons we would like her to wear one with tags on it in case she ever did get out of our yard. She does have a microchip but from experience of working at a shelter, usually animals find their way home a lot quicker with a collar and tags, so they don't have to be brought to the shelter to have their chip read.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I agree with the others, in trying the light weight one first until she gets used to it.