What's the deal?

Tgirl

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about Frenchies lately (well for a couple months). One thing that I see that bothers me is that it seems a lot of the dogs for adoption have a bite history, or don't get along with dogs or cats. Is this typical of the breed or is it possibly why these individuals ended up in rescue to begin with? At first I was thinking "wow, a lot of them tend to have these issues", then it hit me that these are the ones in rescue. Maybe it is why or they came from bad situations and the behavior is a result of that. A doctor that works with us only one day a week has frenchies, and brings one to work sometimes. This is the only one I have ever actually been around. He is the sweetest thing! I know that all dogs are individuals and you can't say "this breed doesn't bite" or whatever, but is this common?

mcraven2

Reaction score
Interesting topic; my Frenchie, Diva, is not like a "typical" French bulldog. We adopted her right after she turned 4, and her previous owners only used her for breeding. When we first got her she was all skin and bones, and when we brought her to our vet they noticed her teeth were very filed down, which they believe was from living in a cage. Because of these issues we know that she was not socialized, loved, or taken care of. She loves our family and my male english bulldog, and she sometimes has her days that she picks fights with my female english bully but for the most part they get along. Now when it comes to strangers it's a different story. If people come to the house she will run to the door barking and when they finally come inside she will continue to bark at them then run away to one of us because she's so nervous. If we are out in public she hides behind me when people approach. We recently had an incident with her biting my neighbor (you can find this in the "French Bulldog Talk" under "Diva bit my neighbor"), it wasn't a bad bite at all, but she still she but someone. All of this behavior is strictly a result from her fear. We never thought she would bite someone but she did, and I blame myself for that.

I personally believe that most dogs in rescues are results of neglect, bad socializing, or dogs having health problems and the owners not wanting to care for them. And because of this some of these dogs are just scared and don't know how else to react to new people or new pets. I also have an EB that we adopted from a shelter who is 10 and she is just a doll, wouldn't hurt a fly. It really just depends on the individual dog and not the breed. Diva is a work in progress that we will honestly be working with for the rest of her life, but she is worth it. And her and my neighbor have already made amends! :)

Tgirl

Reaction score
Its so sad, not only the physical scars, but emotional scars as well that they carry with them from bad situations. It sure sounds like Diva is living the good life now! I have read the thread about her biting your neighbor. I imagine its very stressful when your dog bites someone. At least she's adorable. Who could stay mad at that face?

Debra

Reaction score
As a fellow EB rescuer, dogs go into rescue for more stupid reasons than you can imagine, my wife is pregnant, my new girlfriend doesn't like dogs , my old dog isn't getting along with the new puppy ( so old dog has to go), dog has health issues & requires my extra time, dog snapped at my toddler who stepped on him, I could go on. You do have the people who genuinely care about doing the right thing. I recently had a call about a elderly man who passed away & left behind his elderly wife & 2 young eng. bulldogs. She was fully aware she couldn't take care of them by herself & knew someone else could give them the life they were used to. It was sad, but she made the responsible decision.
Dogs with a known bite history typically are not adoptable. Most do have "baggage", & placed with the right family will live a happy life, like Diva. Owning any animal is a commitment for life, good & bad. Frenchies & eng. bulldogs are not known as biters

Tgirl

Reaction score
I totally agree that it's a commitment for the life of the animal. It's a huge responsibility that needs to be taken seriously, not a decision made on a whim.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=46]Debra[/MENTION] has hit the nail on the head, about dogs in rescue. People will use all kinds of excuses. Frenchies are usually very sociable bullies and love everyone. But when people don't pay attention to breeding, you can get some that are very high strung and may want to bite, or it's the way people treat them as they are growing up. But you have this with any breed. Our Hazel would not hurt fly and loves everyone. Our 13 week old EB pups who are almost as big as she is will play and rough house and bite on her when they are out and she plays along with them and lets them climb all over her. So it really just depends on the breeding and how you raise or train them.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
As David and others have said, both nature and nurture are important. Make sure your breeder breeds for health and temperament. The best thing is to socialize a puppy. If you don't have kids at home, take the pup to a park, farmer's market, pet friendly store, etc. where they can meet kids and play with them. Other adults, too. Regarding cats, it depends on the cat, if the cat trains the puppy how to treat a cat the puppy will learn. If the cat runs the pup will chase--that's what happens here. Our cat frequently runs into a corner and Buster catches her, holds her down with a paw and sniffs and licks her. That's all he does, but he always chases her when she runs. If she would stand up to him and swat him as needed he would learn!

Tgirl

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I know all about socialization :D I have done obedience, advanced obedience, retrieve, and some beginning agility throughout the years with my dogs. I have a 14 year old and a 6 year old so we have people in and out. If I ever get one, once he/she is fully vaccinated she/he can go to work with me some also. We camp a lot (camper not tent) and the dogs always enjoy that a lot. They always see lots of people and other dogs there too.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone for your replies. I know all about socialization :D I have done obedience, advanced obedience, retrieve, and some beginning agility throughout the years with my dogs. I have a 14 year old and a 6 year old so we have people in and out. If I ever get one, once he/she is fully vaccinated she/he can go to work with me some also. We camp a lot (camper not tent) and the dogs always enjoy that a lot. They always see lots of people and other dogs there too.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Those who rescue and adopt abandoned animals are special people. I am amazed to read how many neglected Frenchies have their lives turned around when they find their forever families.

Lisa

MamaAndi

Reaction score
I can only speak to the temperament of my frenchie. She is sweet as pie with people but bossy as heck with other dogs. She was raised with my English bulldog but will still try to put him in line when she thinks she can. :)
I post rescue frenchies and I do tend to notice that dogs with "issues" are plentiful. But then again, it's just like you said, they are in rescue for a reason. The good part is that they screen the dogs and are willing to find the perfect fit for those frenchies. There are also those frenchies in rescue who are absolutely perfect though, the fault lies with the owner rather than the dog.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
As a fellow EB rescuer, dogs go into rescue for more stupid reasons than you can imagine, my wife is pregnant, my new girlfriend doesn't like dogs , my old dog isn't getting along with the new puppy ( so old dog has to go), dog has health issues & requires my extra time, dog snapped at my toddler who stepped on him, I could go on. You do have the people who genuinely care about doing the right thing. I recently had a call about a elderly man who passed away & left behind his elderly wife & 2 young eng. bulldogs. She was fully aware she couldn't take care of them by herself & knew someone else could give them the life they were used to. It was sad, but she made the responsible decision.
Dogs with a known bite history typically are not adoptable. Most do have "baggage", & placed with the right family will live a happy life, like Diva. Owning any animal is a commitment for life, good & bad. Frenchies & eng. bulldogs are not known as biters

Well said... Debra!!!