Crates crates crates!

FindBehr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wanted opinions on crates.

What size is good for your Frenchies?
Did you have to buy a larger crate when the dog became an adult?
Are there any brands you would recommend? Not recommend?

Thanks!!

FindBehr

Reaction score
Second thought- Is there a benefit to having a double door crate vs. a single door?

This is my first time crate training so any other thoughts are helpful– Thanks again!

Tgirl

Reaction score
You don't want anything too big for a puppy. You don't want them to feel like they can go potty on one side and sleep on the other. Too much room and they are more likely to soil in there. As far as what type of crate I have a giant pet taxi type for both of my smallish dogs (they share it) It's not that I prefer it really, it's just what I already had from years ago. They are trained now but sleep in it at night. They go in without being told when they are ready for bed :)

Debra

Reaction score
I have the wire crates. Junies is just big enough for her to turn around. It does have 2 doors, but I just use the 1. She has a mighty comfy bed in hers & snuggles in nicely. I am a huge fan of crate training for many reasons. It is there safe spot, if they have to be kept quiet (EX:for vetting purposes), its a nice way to help in potty training, when you are at work you wont have to worry they are getting in trouble. It is one of the best things you can do for you & for your dog :)
I had a couple rescues that were not crate trained & it was a challenge to keep them confined when necessary.

WilbursDad

Reaction score
We got this one for our pup: Midwest iCrate Single-Door Home Training and Travel Series (30 x 19 x 21)

We put a divider giving him just enough room for him to lay comfortably and will slowly expanding his space as he gets bigger and knows not to pee or poo in there. So far so good. I've attached a picture of our setup.
IMG_0920.jpg

Tgirl

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know such a thing existed! That's a great idea. It grows with the dog. Genius!

FindBehr

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the picture that's gives me a pretty good sense of size. Thanks for your comments everyone!!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Get the wire crates and we always buy the double door ones as they are more versatile. Buy the one you will be keeping an adult in, which we use one that is 19 X 30 and the crate will come with a divider so you can make the area smaller for a puppy.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
What I like about the wire double door is when the boys travel in the back of our suv we can load them in thru the back and I can still have access to them from the front seat.

Babette

Reaction score
We got a medium sized crate for Babette. It came with an additional wall so that the size could be reduced if we needed to. It fits her bed as well as a water dish in it and is large enough that she can turn around or sprawl out comfortably. It also folds down which is awesome when we take her on vacation!

We've never divided it into smaller sections and at her present size she doesn't seem to have any issues with cramping. Now that she's potty trained she sleeps with us (because she's a spoiled baby!)

I know some people are against it but she's always been fed in her crate and I can't remember her ever having an issue using the restroom in it (even when she was a puppy) She thinks of it as her safe place. :)