weight question

Barbarat

Reaction score
What is the average weight of a 8 week old frenchie puppy? I picked louie up at 8 weeks old and he only weighed 3.25 pounds.I thought that seemed small but the guy I got him from said it was normal and he also had giardia so i didnt know if that had something to do with it. He is just 6 months now and weighs 12 pounds.

MamaAndi

Reaction score
He could just be petite? From what I understand, giardia can cause gradual weight loss so that could be the case too.

I'm sure some more people will be along to chime in :)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I got my Frenchie at 10 weeks and he weighed 9.5 pounds. At about 3 1/2 months he weighed 14.5 pounds. It turned out he had giarda as well (found out a week after I got him) but it didn't affect him at all.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on how long he had giardia could have really put a wedge in his growth and weight gain. Have you had a follow up to make sure the giardia is 100% clear?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Rudi Lim

Reaction score
What would the weight of a grown male and female frenchie be? I have read the standard weight of a frenchie should not exceed 28lbs. A female dog is usually smaller, no?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
What would the weight of a grown male and female frenchie be? I have read the standard weight of a frenchie should not exceed 28lbs. A female dog is usually smaller, no?

In most breeds yes, the female tends to be smaller but it can be different based on the health and frame of the dog.
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] ??

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Usually males are larger than females. The AKC standard for show Frenchies is 28 lbs., they do not specify male or female. Hazel was 25 lbs. when we got her, she had just turned 3 years old. Now she is 27 lbs., my wife is feeding her a little too much and we need to cut back on her, as her ideal weight is 25lbs. I would think a male would be a few lbs. more just not to exceed 28 lbs. for show, and also for health reasons. But they all are different so you may have one that is a little smaller or larger than the standard.

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Just got back from our check up and Margie is 12.5 pounds at 15 weeks old. Our vet said she is growing very fast and everything looked great!

Trish & Margie :)

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Not sure how accurate this website is, but I found it when researching average puppy weights for specific breeds. Maybe try this out and see how below or above average your puppy is?
My pup was considered 5% below average weight.

http://www.puppyweights.com/

Secordt

Reaction score
We got Porter at 9 weeks and he weighed in at a hair under 5 pounds be his now 4 months old and weighs 12.8 pounds and is just getting over giardia. The vet told me that he is on track for his breed.

Babette

Reaction score
Babette is a little over a year and weighs about 23 pounds. We keep her on a strict diet (no 'little bit extra' in the bowl with her regular amount - though we do give her treats regularly) We were told she was going to be giant (up to 30 pounds) but I'm pleased to see that she's not. When the vet checks her he almost always comments on how well she's doing weight wise - I guess a lot of our little bullies get chubby. :D

Jess M

Reaction score
I got Mayhem at 8 weeks old and he was tiny. He only weighed in at 2.6 pounds. He is now 10 months old and is a solid 23 pounds.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster weighs 30 lbs. and is 9.5 months old, of course he is a halfie so there's not much to compare! He does have a nice taper from front to back.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax will be 6 months old next week and is already 27 pounds! He does not "look" overweight but he is going to the vet tonight for a body assessment.