Fromm Dog Food

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
Wow is researching and deciding on a quality dog food complicated and confusing. After lots of research, i've decided to go with everyones suggestion and try Fromm. I found a local retailer that sells it so I was pretty excited to not have to order it online.
I purchased Fromm Puppy Food, its the pink bag. First question, how old do you suggest I should continue to feed my puppy the "puppy" brand? She is currently 15 weeks and 12.5 pounds.
Then according to the back of the bag it says I should feed her 2 cups total throughout the day. Does that sound about right? I know sometimes dog food companies tend to have you over feed the dog.
And after reading through lots of posts, I see quite a few of you supplement your dog food with certain human foods. Any suggestions of things to add to her now all kibble diet?

Thank you in advance for the advice!

mcraven2

Reaction score
I'm no help with puppy's since I've never had one, so I'll tag some other members who are experts when it comes to puppy's! But you will love Fromm, such a good dog food! I noticed changes in all 3 of my dogs when they started eating it! :)
[MENTION=1]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION]

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I would think 2 cups would be too much, I would start out at 1 1/2 cups of food. We feed our adult Frenchie only one cup per day. A pup, you will feed a little more until they get close to one year of age. If her poop is soft, then she is getting too much food, so cut it back a little, if it is hard, then feed a little more. You made a good choice for food, as we feed all our pups this food. You can feed her this until about 7 months of age and switch to adult food, or you can change to a FROMM 4 Star food whenever you like, as they are an all stage food. We have two EB pups that are 15 weeks old and had them on FROMM Puppy Gold, then one little picky eater didn't like it anymore about two weeks ago so we switched her to FROMM Pork & Peas, like our adults and she liked it and is doing well on it, so we switched the other pup to it too. They are eating 2 cups a day and they weigh about 25 lbs. now. You don't have to supplement them with people food if you don't want to. Just sometimes people will give them a little yogurt, and a little fruit sometimes. That's totally up to you.

mhuinker

Reaction score
I'm glad I came across this thread. I previously posted in another thread about how much to feed an adult Frenchie, but didn't get any replies. Thank you, David, for answering that question :) I think I have made my decision also on what to feed my Frenchie when I get one (Fromm)!

Like Trishkidd24, I too became confused and overwhelmed by all the research on dog foods, then I found this site, which has been sooooo helpful. I narrowed it down to Fromm and Acana (sp?)! I think I will go with Fromm!

mcraven2

Reaction score
I'm glad I came across this thread. I previously posted in another thread about how much to feed an adult Frenchie, but didn't get any replies. Thank you, David, for answering that question :) I think I have made my decision also on what to feed my Frenchie when I get one (Fromm)!

Like Trishkidd24, I too became confused and overwhelmed by all the research on dog foods, then I found this site, which has been sooooo helpful. I narrowed it down to Fromm and Acana (sp?)! I think I will go with Fromm!

I also feed mine Fromm Grain Free Pork and Peas. I feed them in two feedings. My Frenchie gets a little less than 3/4 a cup twice a day. A cup and a half was too much for her but a cup wasn't enough. Each Frenchie is different but around a cup is probably perfect. My two EBs each get a cup twice a day, I think for their weight the bag of food recommended something crazy like 3 or 4 cups a day so I don't even bother looking at the bag for their recomendations lol! :)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Over this last weekend I started gradually changing Jax's food to Blue Buffalo Wilderness (he is currently eating half old/half new). Sometimes he eats it and sometimes he doesn't so I'm thinking that maybe he doesn't like it so much. If I want to switch again to make sure he is eating something he likes and since he is still in the process of gradually changing over from his old food, how do I do another change without upsetting his stomach? Do I go back to mixing with his old food or do I start mixing it with the Blue Buffalo?

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Great thank you all for the suggestions!

Has anyone found an online retailer that gives you a discount if your order more then one bag or anything like that? Right now the lowest price I found on a 30 pound bag of Fromm's Gold brand was $44. I am just trying to plan ahead if I start feeding all of my dogs it in the next couple months, getting a better deal per bag would be great ha! My two bigger dogs eat around 3 cups a day of their current Diamond brand dog food.

mcraven2

Reaction score
Great thank you all for the suggestions!

Has anyone found an online retailer that gives you a discount if your order more then one bag or anything like that? Right now the lowest price I found on a 30 pound bag of Fromm's Gold brand was $44. I am just trying to plan ahead if I start feeding all of my dogs it in the next couple months, getting a better deal per bag would be great ha! My two bigger dogs eat around 3 cups a day of their current Diamond brand dog food.

I usually get my food from petflow or mrchewy. Both offer free shipping if you spend more than $50 (maybe $60 I can't remember). The past few months petflow has been much cheaper and I always google "petflow online coupons" and I usually can always find a good coupon code!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score

Oh dear! How did we miss it? I am sooooo sorry. If that ever happens again, go to the thread and :bump: it with :comments: and say :help: :please:

:rofl: I love our smileys :)

I agree with Davidh, 2 cups seems like too much and he gave the perfect description on weather to increase or decrease.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

As Lisa stated.... please if you do not get a response 'bump' the thread. So very sorry we didnot get to you sooner.

Both my bully babies are doing very well on the Fromm Pork and Peas... I've been down the trial and error road with my Bulldogs and I wish I knew about Fromm back in 2004

Tgirl

Reaction score
For what it's worth, my Veterinarian always tells people to feed puppies as much as they will eat until they are 8 to 9 months old. They go through growth spurts and at times it will seem like you can't fill them up. She says "if you give her 1/2 cup and she gobbles it down and is still hungry, give her more". I'm not saying it's right or wrong, and I'm sure there are exceptions, as some dogs are piggies. Just thought I'd pass along what I have heard from someone that I trust :)

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Ok! So we have switched to Fromm's completely. She has been eating this brand straight puppy kibble for about 2 weeks total. She eats it up and loves it. Only problem I'm curious about is that she still has slight diarrhea. About how long does this usually last when switching food brands? And she is usually gassy compared to before.
Any advise? If for some reason she was allergic to anything with the Fromm's food, would diarrhea be a symptom of an allergy or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok! So we have switched to Fromm's completely. She has been eating this brand straight puppy kibble for about 2 weeks total. She eats it up and loves it. Only problem I'm curious about is that she still has slight diarrhea. About how long does this usually last when switching food brands? And she is usually gassy compared to before.
Any advise? If for some reason she was allergic to anything with the Fromm's food, would diarrhea be a symptom of an allergy or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Which Fromm did you switch to? Also how much are you feeding per day/meal?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

trishkidd24

Reaction score
We switched to the Fromm Gold Puppy food, its in a pink bag. We were going to keep her on that till she is around 10 months old. Currently we are feeding her 2 1/2 cups per day (split into two feedings per day) and this is actually 1/2 a cup less then what the bag says to feed her. I just feel so bad because she is outside constantly having to go, and I just want to make sure this will pass or see if maybe the food isn't agreeing with her.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cut down to 1 cup per meal and see if that helps settle her poo and gas. If it does, you can slowly increase it. The feeding guidelines are based upon all breeds and bulldogs are a special breed that does not require as much food intake for their weight because much of their weight is in bulk. I was first going to suggest 3/4 c per meal because I have English bulldogs which are much bigger and only give them 1 cup per meal. My smallest weighing in a 42 lbs only gets 3/4 of a cup or she would be a sausage. She already kinda is!

Fromm has such good ingredients that they require so much less. In fact after thinking about it I would go with 3/4 cup per meal until her tummy settles.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Sorry my post was wrong.. She gets 1 1/2 cups total per day (so two feedings of 3/4 cups) Ha sorry I confused it with our big dogs. The dog food bag says to feed her a total of 2 cups per day and we are feeding half a cup less then that.

She was kenneled this past weekend while we were out of town visiting family. Would stress or being away from home cause sever diarrhea? Because last night and this morning it was terrible. I gave her a pill her breeder gave us for diarrhea so we are hoping that helps calm her down.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Stress and being away from can cause diarrhea. Also overfeeding, but it sounds like that isn't the case. I'd go with a bland diet until she is pooping logs then gradually reintroduce the Fromm. If the diarrhea returns you know it is the wrong food for her.

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Alright perhaps a bland diet will help. Should I just follow the instructions from the "bland diet" linked post? Basically a cup of rice and boiled hamburger? Ha I have never boiled hamburger, should be interesting? Do you literally fill up a pan with water and raw hamburger and simply boil and then drain? Sounds gross :(

Then how long do you feed them the bland diet before re-introducing the kibble?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry my post was wrong.. She gets 1 1/2 cups total per day (so two feedings of 3/4 cups) Ha sorry I confused it with our big dogs. The dog food bag says to feed her a total of 2 cups per day and we are feeding half a cup less then that.

She was kenneled this past weekend while we were out of town visiting family. Would stress or being away from home cause sever diarrhea? Because last night and this morning it was terrible. I gave her a pill her breeder gave us for diarrhea so we are hoping that helps calm her down.
Stress and being away will do it.... Bland diet as other have said. And yes, just boil and drain. It does look gross too because of the fat .... Yuk but it is good for them

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Stress and being away from can cause diarrhea. Also overfeeding, but it sounds like that isn't the case. I'd go with a bland diet until she is pooping logs then gradually reintroduce the Fromm. If the diarrhea returns you know it is the wrong food for her.

Stress can definitely cause diarrhea. Jax got diarrhea twice after going to doggie daycare and it lasted about 3 days both times. He went to daycare again last week and he didn't get diarrhea (hooray).