Infected Anal Glands

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
I just returned from the vet hospital. Cosette's anal glands were very infected and bleeding. Her bottom looked pinker than usual this morning, by this afternoon it was bulging and by evening bleeding.
The vet drained them. She is on antibiotics and needs 4 warm compresses per day. She also has yeast infections in both ears and has drops for that. Also on pain meds.
I feel silly because I give her a once over everyday and did not see anything unusual till today. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of things.... Poor baby

Lisa

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Oops. I thought I clicked on the heath forum. I am sorry!

mcraven2

Reaction score
Poor girl, I hope she will be feeling better soon! Don't feel silly, things like this happen. One of my EBs had an ear infection last spring even though I clean them once a week, I guess I wasn't cleaning them as well as I should have. But he was fine after a week with the drops! Feel better, Cosette!! :)

Sherry

Reaction score
don't feel silly, please it happens to everyone in one way or another, we can't control the unset of health issue's .

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Like everyone has said it happens to the best of us, so don't feel bad. The main thing is you got him help and he is on the mend.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Thank you, David. It's like being a first time mom all over again!

Today was another adventure. In addition to the gland infection, Cosette had an ear infection as well so the vet put her on ear drops Wednesday. Well today she could not hear me at all. I brought her back and she may have had a reaction to the drops (otomax). She had a lot of fluid in both ears so the vet cleaned them along with her sore bum.
Hearing is much better, no more ear drops.

Happy Frenchie, happy mom!

Tgirl

Reaction score
Oh no, poor girl! I am glad she is doing better.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
So glad to hear she is better!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Cosette's ears have worsened. Last week I took her to emergency care ; they gave her gentamicin drops which she took for two days and caused fluid and (hopefully) temporary hearing loss. Today I took her to her own vet to be checked and her ears are still inflamed with fluid. The vet said the reaction to the drops does not happen often. So Cosette received a cortisone injection, more oral meds and new drops that won't hurt her ears. We will know in two weeks if her hearing improves. Poor baby.

kim

Reaction score
Poor thing :( I hope the new meds help and she gets better soon. Keep us updated.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
I am relieved to say Cosette is doing better; it's taken nearly three weeks to get to this point. Her infection in her bum is healing nicely and her hearing is slowly returning. I am weaning her off the prednisone . What an appetite!

Spars

Reaction score
So glad to hear Cosette is doing much better!

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
I have raised three children but my Frenchie makes me feel like a first time mom!

Babette

Reaction score
I'm happy to hear Cosette is doing better. That must have been scary! Sounds like my luck, if something with a medicine can go wrong, it will. Glad you're feeling better, little Frenchiepie. <3

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
So glad to hear she's improving!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Wow! I'm late to this but am so glad your little girl's bum and ears are on the mend!

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Is that a common thing to need to get your frenchies anal glands squeezed on a regular basis? We have 4 other pets besides our frenchie puppy, and of all of them only the cat needs his glands squeezed once or twice a year. The rest of the animals released theirs naturally. Just wondering if this is something common among this particular breed and if it is something we should watch for with our puppy.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
They are suppose to express naturally . My first Frenchie had minor issues ; I would give her a few tablespoons a week of canned pumpkin which helped a lot. Cosette has been with me only 4 months so I don't know her history. My vet said to add 1/4 teaspoon of Metamucil per week to her food.

I know we discussed this in a thread a few months ago but if anyone has knowledge to share I would be grateful.