Concerns about excited nipping

Babette

Reaction score
Hi!

We recently moved to a new location and I am also currently pregnant with our first child. During this time I've been sick a great deal and unable to walk the dog as regularly as possible. She's never been aggressive to me or anyone else inside or outside the house, however when my husband comes home, or our family stops by, she bounces around begging for attention and nipping at fingers. The other day she caught my mother in law's finger and it hurt (didn't break the skin).

I'm the only one who regularly disciplines her (we're working on that) but with things being as rough as they have been these past few months I'm finding that she's starting to become more strong willed and I'm worried that as I get further along (I'm still in first trimester) she will get worse. I'm also afraid that when the baby is born she might be too rough with him/her, or that her playful nibbling will turn into actual aggressive nipping.

My current concern is with the door. When someone rings, or first enters, she bounces around doing the behavior I described above. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help?

I've been considering trying to have her sit and wait but I'm not sure if I should leash her during that time (or if that will just make her more excited thinking she's going on a walk), use treats, ask our guests to ignore her until she calms down, or try something else? We are not physical with our bully and don't discipline in that way.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I'd keep a harness on her and have the leash handy to snap on when the doorbell rings. Buster does the bouncing around, jumping up on people thing, too. He just wants attention but I have him sit before he gets petted. I don't know how Frenchies are with babies, but if they are like their EB cousins they are wonderful. All of my grandkids have had many positive experiences with EBs. The dogs seemed to know they were babies and were very gentle.

Babette

Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to give that a try. Thanks!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
As [MENTION=10]Alice Kable[/MENTION] has said, you need to start with a leash and have him sit at the door and no one can pet him until he is sitting and being calm. It will take a long time and plenty of patience to get this done, but the more you practice with him the better. Plus Frenchies are usually great with kids, but still need to be supervised.

Babette

Reaction score
We tried it today. She would calm down for a few minutes but as soon as we let her have some room on the leash she was back at it again. I guess we'll have to keep her on a shorter leash until she can behave reliably, then try giving her more slack.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
We tried it today. She would calm down for a few minutes but as soon as we let her have some room on the leash she was back at it again. I guess we'll have to keep her on a shorter leash until she can behave reliably, then try giving her more slack.

Sounds like you have already made some progress the very first time- that is actually good news! She will learn :up:

When baby is born introduce her by letting her smell the diaper side (behind) preferably a dirty diaper. It really helps them get to know the new baby!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
can't add anything.... just wanted to wish you luck with everything

Babette

Reaction score
Thanks I'll do that. She's getting better but it's a slow process, three steps forward two steps back!