12 week old peeing in his bed!!

Coopersmom

Reaction score
My 12 week old Cooper has been peeing in his bed, not a full pee but then he lays on it. Housetraining is generally going well but he does this everyday. We got him from a pet shop (his home was a metre square glass box with just a bowl of water and a sheet of newspaper) so I'm guessing its just following on from him peeing in his box in the shop. We have a puppy pee mat which he also uses. He peed in the middle of the night in his bed and wondered if it is just laziness. We do have a crate and it's only used when we go out. It's quite small and only want to use it when we have to.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He can only hold his bladder for about 5 hours, so there needs to be a potty sometime in the night. Good guideline is for every month old they are add 1 and that is hold long they can hold the bladder. If he has a pee-pad but is not using it at night, you may need to train him use it at night or may be something is preventing him from doing so -- not sure as I always used a crate at night until they were house trained.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
He is still a baby and it will take time, like [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] said he can only hold it for about 5 hours at a time, sometimes less. Plus being from a per store, that's all he knows. He did not get the normal care and training a reputable breeder will give their babies. We start potty training our babies at 5 weeks of age, but they will still at 15 or 16 weeks pee their crates at night, because they just can't hold it all night, but they are getting better at it. You would not expect a 5 or 6 month old toddler to hold their pee all night, so it is the same with these babies. Give him time and he will get it and that behavior will stop. Patience and positive reinforcement will go a long way.

kim

Reaction score
Mine just peed in her crate last night, so I was doing laundry at 3:00 am!

Sherry

Reaction score
I wouldn't be that ambitious [MENTION=160]kim[/MENTION] :no: