Is my Frenchie too small?

maryalyssa

Reaction score
I have a 19 week old Frenchie who is only 6lbs. I feel like he is underweight and something is wrong, but the vet says he is just fine. Are there frenchies that are just on the small side? It seems at this rate he won't go past 15lbs.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Was he the runt of the litter by chance? How big are the parents? Can you share some pictures?

[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] might be able to answer better than I can.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
:smileywelcome: to you and your pup. That sounds small to me but as long as he is healthy and you don't plan to breed or show him it doesn't matter. Puppies, like people, grow at different rates. He could be a late bloomer. If he stays under 20 lbs. he can fly with you in a plane!

maryalyssa

Reaction score
Was he the runt of the litter by chance? How big are the parents? Can you share some pictures?

[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] might be able to answer better than I can.

He was the runt of the litter from what I'm told, although I don't really know what that even means! I was given him as a graduation gift so I don't know much about his parents or where he came from, I just know he was born in January. He's gone to the vet multiple times now for exam and shots and is perfectly healthy. Here is a picture:
IMG_3659.jpg

WeeDex

Reaction score
There's a thread on here somewhere where we tracked the size of our Frenchies. It's worth having a search for as it shows the variety of weights well. Your baby looks great and is just going to be petite! Dexter is also small. He's around 22lbs at 2 years old.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Runts are usually the smallest in the litter. So he might stay on the smaller size but some Frenchies are just smaller than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Balfyre

Reaction score
He looks adorable!!! Actually they are trying to breed for smaller micro frenchies so you are so lucky you got one!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
They are all different and since he was the smallest baby, he could just end up on the smaller side.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Your dog is adorable !! I think smaller Frenchies is a North American thing. My Frenchie is a rescue, and originally from Russia. I think they are trying to breed them there really big, because she's really long and about 35 poundsIMG-20170324-WA0002.jpg.

He looks adorable!!! Actually they are trying to breed for smaller micro frenchies so you are so lucky you got one!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
He is a handsome little guy. He may be a little on the small size but some are. We have a female who is about 21 pounds, but she is spunky.

Lola2833

Reaction score
I have a 19 week old Frenchie who is only 6lbs. I feel like he is underweight and something is wrong, but the vet says he is just fine. Are there frenchies that are just on the small side? It seems at this rate he won't go past 15lbs.

Hi, mine is now 5 months and weighs 9lbs. I'm also a little concerned if everything is alright with her. How's yours doing after two years? Did he catch up (in terms of size and weight) eventually?

Jeffc

Reaction score
My youngest which is a female is roughly 10 months old and was the runt in her liter is around 12lbs. Your guy definitely looks pretty petite, but if your vet says he's healthy like others have stated just enjoy him and spoil him.