Crate Training...I need help!!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a crate when I got Jax when he 10 weeks old and I totally failed at crate training :(. He is now 5 months old and he hates going in his crate. Is it too late to try and crate train him now? He has only been left alone a few times for a couple hours but he was confined in the kitchen. He really hates to be alone and I would like to be able to leave him alone for a few hours when needed either confined to the kitchen or in his crate. Help!

trishkidd24

Reaction score
I had this issue with my boxer mix... We never crated him as a puppy and then his anxiety got worse when we would leave him and we were having issues with him destroying things while we were gone, so crate training became our only option. He hated it for the first couple months, would bark cry and try to break out but eventually since we were consistent and he always had to go in at least once a day for a short period of time he got use to it.
What worked for us was feeding him in his kennel, is sort of became a reward time because he got to eat only when in the kennel, and I think he associated it with good things. Now at 5 years old he still doesn't "love" his kennel like our other two do, but he knows its were he gets fed and will go in every morning before work because that is how he gets to eat.

Not sure if this helps, but it eventually did for us... Just a slow and hard process when you dont start them as little pups.. My other two were so much easier because we kennel trained from day one :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Trisha gave you great advice.... Make it a safe place for him. Feelings or treats, short windows of being in ther. Start small 15- 20 mins. And work your way up

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I had this issue with my boxer mix... We never crated him as a puppy and then his anxiety got worse when we would leave him and we were having issues with him destroying things while we were gone, so crate training became our only option. He hated it for the first couple months, would bark cry and try to break out but eventually since we were consistent and he always had to go in at least once a day for a short period of time he got use to it.
What worked for us was feeding him in his kennel, is sort of became a reward time because he got to eat only when in the kennel, and I think he associated it with good things. Now at 5 years old he still doesn't "love" his kennel like our other two do, but he knows its were he gets fed and will go in every morning before work because that is how he gets to eat.

Not sure if this helps, but it eventually did for us... Just a slow and hard process when you dont start them as little pups.. My other two were so much easier because we kennel trained from day one :)

It does help! My problem is I would put him in there and he would go crazy...barking, whining, crying, giving me his puppy dog eyes and then I would give in and let him out after a few minutes. Sometimes if he is really, really tired and we put him in there, he will go to sleep. I just need to be consistent and stick with it instead of letting him out so quickly. And starting out with just 15 - 20 minutes at a time and working my way up is a great suggestion [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION]. I assume he will eventually get used to it as long as I stick to it and he sees it's not a punishment.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing I did too.... Fill a kong with peanut butter or non-fat cream cheese , freeze it and give him that while away...

Alice Kable

Reaction score
At 5 months old he will learn to love his crate as his very own space! Good suggestions above!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing I did too.... Fill a kong with peanut butter or non-fat cream cheese , freeze it and give him that while away...

That's a GREAT idea! I will try that as well.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Great info above, make it a happy place and before long he will like his crate.